Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you A JIGGER or A DEAD STICKER?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you A JIGGER or A DEAD STICKER?

I am just curious if you like to impart action to your jig? or like to hold the bait dead still when vertical jigging? As for me I ust to be a Jigger but find myself more on the dead stick side these days. Is there any key factors...IE suspended fish, shad in the water column, time of year... we should look for to determine if we should be imparting action or dead sticking to get more strikes. Your thoughts?
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

Post Thanks / Like

I let the minners do their thing.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

9 times out of 10, the movement of my boat coupled with my own breathing/pulse, telegraph enough movement to my jig. When the bite is slow I may add a slight "twitch" from time to time. I'm a Dead Sticker!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... usually a dead sticker when I have a pole in my hand......

Post Thanks / Like

Only way I can dead stick, is with a jigger of W.L.Wellers, about every thirty minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

I do some of both . Sometimes a little extra moving is what they want and others they want it dead . So i do some of both . Sometimes when i am seaching for a depth and show fish i will raise it and lower it slowly in the depth it shows fish . With these fish you never know .
    CATCH THEM ALL.

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes will slap the tube on the surface water seems to attract the bite. If I don't get a bite in about 10 seconds I move it or jig it. Dead stick good too , kinda let the fish tell me what they want???

Post Thanks / Like

I've had success with minner on one pole holding in my hand and deadstickin a jig by laying the pole down that's out of my hand. On the jig pole I like to put a bright colored bobber stop about halfway down to the water and watch the boober stop rather than the line. I can see twitches, thumps and the line moving out horizontally during pick ups. Course with that method you don't get that great feel of the thump if it happens but I'm too impatient to hold it. I'd rather hold the minner pole, foolin around with it and just keep my eye on the jig pole. I think the motion of the boat imparts enough action to the jig IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

I twitch a jig but sometimes, dead works along with swimming! It really depends on conditions.....
    2005 War Eagle, 50hp Mercury 4 stroke

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally just holding the pole imparts enough action to make it look alive. Tie a piece of line and jig to a pencil, put it in a clear glass of water and try to hold it still. Some times a real slow rise and fall will get them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast