Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shakespeare Ugly Stik?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shakespeare Ugly Stik?

I am looking to purchase my first two crappie rods.

I have always been a fan of the Ugly Stik, as the ones I own (for other species) have out lasted everything else I have used, but I don't know if they are the best tool for this job.
    Anybody have experience with the Ugly Stik Ultralights? or something in the same $ range?

The two that I am looking at are:
    7' UL (2 piece) "ugly stik lite" spinning model# SP11702UL for slip bobber & live minnows.

5' UL (1 piece) "ugly stik lite" spinning model# SP11502UL for dock shooting/misc plastics.

I am looking for a brand/rod to stick with and build upon........Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

i have three Ugly Sticks. No complaints here. Not a bad rod to have. Two 5' ugly Stick lite spinning setups i use mostly in stock tanks and one 7' i use with ABU Garcia catfish setup. My current crappie rods are 7' Okuma and 12' 2 piece BnM jig pole. Would like to get another Okuma.

-danny
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

“Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.” ― Grandma Moses

Post Thanks / Like

The 5 and 7 foot U/S will work fine for casting but if you want to drop a jig or minnow down in brush and be able to feel it when he just let the jig or min float into his mouth. You will need an 8 to 10 foot BnM. This time of year a crappie can have the hook in his mouth and you will not even know it till you feel him spit it back out. That is way you need a good pole made just for crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

No boat so I am just fishing boat slips & bridge pilings that I can cast to. I am looking at getting a good setup but don't want to dump alot of $ untill I figure out what works. So far I figured the 5' UL ugly stick + a pflueger president #6920 reel + 4lb mono + Bobby Garland slab slay-r. Ain't figured out what size jig head/ jig body color to use yet for my merky water though. On the 7' I was looking at the same setup, just with Mr. Crappie slip bobbers, split shots & a light size hook for live minnows. That being said, I did look at the b&M's today & I am not ready for the HUGE rod lengths yet...anybody use the cherrywoods from Walmart? (Just caught a 30 second glimpse of one today on the rack & it looked nice.)
    Semper Fi

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Ugly stick ProLite 2 piece 7ft and also the same rod in 6'6" length. I have Shimano reels on both and they work really well, if something happens to them they get replaced. I didn't like the feel of the 5 footer, plus it's only 1 piece not 2.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All I use for fishing is Ugly Stiks , I have them in lengths from 4'10" up to 7" for various types of fishing. They are the only rods that I have never accidentally broken, I've had a couple of them for well over 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I'd use the 7 footer to shoot docks.
    also,
    A friend of mine bought a bunch of ugly sticks, the GX2 models. Looks nice, he says they do a fine job.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugly stick is a good inexpensive rod.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

The short ultra lights are great......I have some longer ones I use as loaner rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I too own FIVE ugly stick rods from 5' to 7'. You can't beat the action of the tip and it's durability and strength. The UL really lets you feel the "thump" where the longer rods get you into harder to reach spots to vertical jig.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast