Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minn Kota Deckhand Anchormate

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota Deckhand Anchormate

I am looking into getting one of these to help hold my boat in position when fishing docks in the wind. Anybody got any practical experience with these things? I fish by myself 99% of the time so not having to go back and forward dropping the anchor would be really helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of older ones, front and back, they have auto cutoff, when they come up the tip of the ahchor where the rope is tied goes into the housing and trips the switch. the anchor is mushroom shaped 18lbs and, in a wind they wouldn't hold a 12' dingy. JMO on the type I have.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont have the Minkota but do have one mount on stern of boat. Very handy to just drop and retrieve. Have remote switch mounted in front of boat. One caution, if you do it bolt a short piece of chain to it with a hook to attach to anchor when trailering or running in rough water. Don't need anchor coming loose going down highway.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the deck hand for about 2yrs. I have a 17' boat with walk-thru windshield and the only thing that will hold it is the anchor with 5 prongs about 6" long sticking out of anchor. If it hangs it is a ---- to get out so use a second rope tied to rear of anchor, have to coil it by hand but is wourth the trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of these, one of then is about 15 years old the other is about 2 years old and have never had a problem with either.
    I have the plastic anchors filled with wheel weights that lock in place. The older one is a 20 lb capable and the newer is rated
    at 15 lbs, the 20lb is much slower than the 15 lb but works well. You might want to look at the remote switch if you get one, they
    are expensive but worth it.
    The second one I bought about 3 years ago was a trac that did not even make it 1 year, unfortunately the receipt was lost and
    it was scrapped.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Minnkota Deckhands on each end of my boat that are rated for 40 lb anchors. I have 30 lb river anchors and they hold pretty good on a 18 ft aluminum boat. Use a short length of chain to hook them to the anchor rope.

Post Thanks / Like

Well ended up getting the BPS Fisherman 25. It was less than half the price with the RF remote included. So far so good.

Post Thanks / Like

The Deckhand 40# is twice the anchor than the rest it has a huge motor and is by far the most durable!!
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

I agree; however, for the price and the limited use it will see the one I have has been working out for me.