Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big lures for bigger crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big lures for bigger crappie?

I always use the normal 1.5" to 2.5" lures for crappie and catch many sizes . I been wondering about using some 3" or more especially when trolling to try to catch some real big ones , I know the amount of bites will prolly go down. Just wondering what other crappie fishermen think about this.

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught 7" crappie on 3" baits. They will hit almost anything. You may do well with the bigger baits but a 2" bait will put some slabs in the box as well. Give it a shot and see how it works out. I have experimented a few times and dont tell a difference in the size fish I catch when using larger baits except for catching more gar, bass, muds, and catfish. They dont hit the 2" baits as much as they do the 3" for some reason from my experience. Im sure others have had a different experience
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some people swear bigger baits catch bigger fish, but I have caught some hogs on small baits. I do believe overall that a bigger bait probably would give you more of a chance for bigger fish though. I prefer to catch more quantity with some nice ones mixed in.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont know about over there but here this time of year they are feeding on 2 1/2 to 3 in shad bigger baits are the norm for me here this time of year.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Gnat or big boy jig with 1/0 sickle and the biggest minner I can get :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigger baits do produce a bigger pressure wave through the water, as well as a bigger profile, which makes them more easily noticed. But, you also have to consider the current mood of the fish. I think a lot of the "bigger is better for bigger" ideology comes partly from the "match the hatch" theory ... where you imitate the general size of the forage base, based on the time of year. It also has a lot to do with the relative percentage of "big" Crappie that a particular body of water holds. You can use all the big honkin baits you want, but if there's not a good percentage of the fish in that body of water, that is what you'd consider "big" ... then you obviously aren't going to be catching that many "big" fish, regardless of what size bait you use.

A Crappie's mouth is capable of taking in something that is several times bigger than what the normal size bait is that we use to catch them. So, yeah ... even the smaller sized fish are capable of, and likely, to hit our larger baits. But, even the big fish get a little picky, sometimes, and will pass on a large bait ... but readily take a small offering. And that's not always due to season or water temps.

"Big" is a relative term, when talking about the "length" of a live/artificial bait. When you factor in the length of the jighead + a 1.5" grub ... that's close to 2" in length. Your average Crappie minnow (medium) is about 2" long. When you add a med-lrg minnow onto a jig/plastics ... you're likely to be presenting a nearly 3" to 3.5" offering. And I've fished with guys that use the larger minnows on jigheads with plastic bodies, spider rigging ... and seen them catch Crappie that wouldn't measure 6". I've seen 300 Bandits catch Crappie of the same size. And I remember back when I was casting a 1/32oz Roadrunner or a 1/16oz jighead/plastic body ... and catching Crappie from 1.5-2.5lbs ... and wonder to myself, "why is that ?". Then I realize ... it was the lake, the time, and the prevailing conditions ... & not necessarily the size of the bait I was using.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

well said -----if they are hungry they will hit any size---just my 2 cents worth

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, I've caught more on 2" and smaller than I have bigger ones. That being said, you might still want to use a 3" when you need a big one in the boat. The smaller fish will still hit it but not a many which allows it to get to where the big ones are. I think this would be more productive on lakes with numbers of bigger crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I think crappie will eat just about anything given the right circumstances. Ive caught more than a few on jerkbaits and big crankbaits while bass fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought about it cuz I know alot of giant crappie are caught by bass fishermen . I will prolly try some big ones while trolling that way I can also keep my standard lures on too.We catch em up to 15" on what we use just thinking mite increase the odds of getting a giant slab . One draw back here will we have alot of chain pickeral they will surely hit my bigger lures .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast