Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Eagles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eagles

I know there have been nesting eagles at Truman for a number of years, but I was wondering whether there have been any reports from Smithville? I saw a pair this summer(we usually get a lot during winter, following the geese), and was wondering if a nest has been reported, and was also just curious if MDC actively keeps any kind of watch over these? Is the area/location of nests kept quiet to keep the nutjobs away?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

At this point and time, it is likely that there are bald eagles nesting in every county in the State of Missouri. There are certainly nesting eagles around Smithville, most of the ones I am aware of are near the upper end of the lake. MDC does track all active eagle nests per federal regulations. Despite the delisting of bald eagles under the Endangered Species Act, they are still very protected and monitoring active nests allows us to avoid impacts to the population, either from development or from individuals. We don’t advertise known eagle nests, but they are usually fairly easy to find at the right time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response....it's good to hear they are starting to be a year-round bird here, rather than just winter visitors. How does one report the location of a possible new nest site?

Post Thanks / Like

Can I report a moron eagle? I almost hit the same one on 52 hwy between Calhoun and Clinton twice in a month. He is crazy about carrion.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    Thanks for the response....it's good to hear they are starting to be a year-round bird here, rather than just winter visitors. How does one report the location of a possible new nest site?
    Each MDC regional office has a Natural History Biologist. They are the people you need to contact based on where the nest was located. In speaking with our NHB, he said they are only interested in potentially new nests that have eagles sitting on them (active).

Post Thanks / Like

Understood....thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of eagles along the Missouri River. Winter is a great time to be on the river and watch the eagles while getting a line wet for cats. Well as long as there is no ice on the river. found 1 area last winter that had 20 eagles setting in trees and flying around. Easy to spot the nest then too.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't spend much time on the river, but there are usually 5-10 at Smithville during the winter, and now I've been seeing them year round. Very cool

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a pair circling my turkey decoys in the spring on the upper part of Smithville Lake each of the last two years. Pretty awesome sight as the sun is coming up.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them..." - George Mason