Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I weathered the storm and won!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I weathered the storm and won!

I heard it all the time on Cdot to fish the terrible conditions such as rainy cold days, and I did just that!

My day started off very lazy, I wanted to go fishing so bad, but I hate the rain and never fished it! The forecast for the day was showers and thunderstorms, and I knew I was not about to take the boat out. I sat and contemplated, on whether to go or not, as the rain picked up again this time very hard. So I decided to go to Walmart instead, I stumbled upon a full rain suit that was on clearance (First Sign). So I decided to just try it. I got some worms and was out the door to try a pond that I usually catch nice bluegill out off. The rain let up slightly to a light sprinkle, still very cloudy and windy. When I got the pond I rigged up and threw out. Pop, the bobber went straight down and I was fighting a nice gill. I finally got him to the bank and it was the biggest I caught all year (second sign). I just knew I made a good decision on fishing through the rain. So, after about 5 gills the rain pick up so hard I packed up and went to the truck. I was done for the day and I was going to head home to fillet my fresh catch then I realized I never got a chance to try the new rain suit, so I put it on and waited for the rain to die down a little. I got back to the bank and the bite was slow with no takers. I was just about to give up and I decided to give it one last try. This time I decided to give my worm a little flavor and color, so I used a red flake Crappie nibble. I tossed my bait out there and "bam", I was in a fight with what I thought was going to be a massive bluegill. I got the fish close to the bank and my eyes lit up like a Krispy Kreme "Hot Now" sign! It was a nice healthy fat 12" crappie (third sign). I immediately took a picture and text my buddy and told him there was crappie in pond we been fishing the whole time, and just didn’t know it. I quickly switch to orange skirt jigs and crappie nibbles and caught 7 more back to back. After they got tired of seeing it I switched to crappie magnets (white and chartreus, pumpkin, and clear with red, white, and blue flakes) and they would not let up! There is a fountain in the pond that all the fish relate too, I not sure why that is yet. I cast into the fountain and the current pushes my bait out then “Bam” one after another. This was my personal best fishing day ever I just had to tell someone!

Name:  20131117_153550.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  58.2 KBName:  20131117_153626.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  58.2 KB
    Last edited by Crappieday721; 11-18-2013 at 05:42 PM.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome, great job!
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of questions for you experience guys, keep in mind i very new to this.

1. I was fishing a 1 acre pond, I havent been fishing it very long, but it seems that it is very healthy, all fish caught in it are filleting size, never caught anything small. Why is this? How come all the these crappie where nearly the same size ( 11-12) without much variation? Could this mean the pond is very old or is it stocked with fully grown crappy?

2. With this pond only being about a acre or 2 , what size population of crappie can it hold?

3. I notice that when I used berkley gulp minnow, I didnt get a bite, but when I switched to a crappie magnet and throw in the same spot they hit it instantly. What could possibly be happening? I also have not ever seen any minnow in the pond, is that possible, or are all the fish feeding on small bluegills?

If anyone could help me understand this I would love to hear your opinion on this new found honey hole.
    Thanks have a Crappieday!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. I was waiting for the Crappie to come into the story, lol! Thats a pleasant surprise.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job, sometimes it pays not to be a wuss

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

good job
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job good looking mess of fish

Post Thanks / Like

Be mindful of how many you take out of the pond. You can clean out a small pond very quickly if you keep all that you catch. It takes a long time for them to get to that size. What did they have in their stomachs when you cleaned them. That is your clue as to what they have in the lake to feed on! Use what is close to what they have been eating for bait next time. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pile of fish. I love fishing private farm ponds. What you end up with is always a suprise. I fish a local farm pond, and have caught big bluegill, crappie and even a few nice sized channel cats.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    Be mindful of how many you take out of the pond. You can clean out a small pond very quickly if you keep all that you catch. It takes a long time for them to get to that size. What did they have in their stomachs when you cleaned them. That is your clue as to what they have in the lake to feed on! Use what is close to what they have been eating for bait next time. EB

Well I didnt pay much attention to what was in their stomach but i didnt see any small fish or anything? I just do know they wouldnt hit a berkley gulp 2" minnow and that has always been my goto in lakes and rivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast