Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Homemade Spider Rig Rod Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade Spider Rig Rod Holder

For this project, I used a 27 inch section of 2" angle iron, a 24 inch section of 1/2" black iron pipe, a pipe flange, and four cheap, adjustable clamp-on rod holders. Immediately throw the clamps away.

I began by drilling four 5/16" holes spaced evenly across the angle iron. After that was done, I primed the metal to ward off rust. (It was humid outside.) In the first picture, you can see where I taped over the holes before I primed. That's very important.

After the primer dried, I welded a 1/4" carriage bolt through each hole so they would stay steady. Once that was done, I JB Welded the bases of the rod holders to the angle.

I then measured the center of the angle, and welded the black iron pipe to it. Before welding, make sure to cut the pipe so the rod holder will be positioned at a comfortable height.

Once all that is done, prime everything that hasn't been primed, and paint ASAP. No need in delaying a fishing project. :D

To mount the holder, I used a pipe flange that screws to the floor of the boat. Take care not to drill through the hull, though. hehe (No, I didn't drill through my hull!) Screw the flange to the pipe and place the whole kit n' kaboodle where you want it in the boat. Screw the thing down, and go catch a mess of fish!

You'll note in the finished result I have clamped a PVC pipe to the black iron pipe. This is so the fishfinder transducer can read off the front of the boat. The clamp is only temporary unless it works. :D
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes BILL HARDY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it will work to me good job

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good, I'll know what to look for this week at the Foot this weekend.

This is what I have I have a bent conduit that holds the transducer and it will swing out of the way if you hit something.

Oh yea you can see that the pole on the right is in mid bite when I snapped the pic.

Name:  DSC02018.JPG
Views: 57393
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  !CID__02-18-06_1756.jpg
Views: 13416
Size:  68.3 KB

Get The Net
    Likes BILL HARDY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

cracker,that looks good!....good work!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to sell two 4 pole holders and one 8 pole holder, I'm going to two 5 pole holders.

www.grizzlyjig.com sells a 4 pole hold for about 36 dollars with base and all.
    you can get a screw in type, bolt in type, and one that goes around your pedistal.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

Matt that looks good. I need to fix up my mount for the depthfinder like that. That was going to be s summer project and did not get it done.
    Pete
    Here is the way my old one was fixed. Its on the 17'7" war-eagle here.

Here it is on the 20 ft war-eagle

And here it is now.
    Last edited by ShilohRed; 10-17-2006 at 07:58 PM.