PDA

View Full Version : DECEMBER 14, 2013 SLABTOGETHER ASTOR, on the St. JohnsRiver

flycaster
11-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Our host will be CRAPPIEDAY. :cheers2
He will be providing details such as where to launch, time to launch.
This event will not be a picnic style event. Bring your own eats and drinks, this will allow you to munch while fishing and not have to wait until you get back to the launch.
Fishing will be from launch time until about 3:00 PM, at which time we should be back at the launch to weigh in and record our catch.:fish

Speckanator
11-17-2013, 05:59 PM
I'll be minner fishing!

Crappielover
11-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Crappie Pappy and I should be there with a bucket of jigs and a bag of minners.

flycaster
11-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Good LORD willing, and the creeks don't rise I will be there.
Haven't decided on bait. Will wait until advise is given, as to what is the killer presentation.:popcorn
Have committed back seat to skiffin.

Skiffin16
11-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks..., I'll leave the cinder block in the truck this time...

Crappieday
11-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Astor Slabtogether areas open to fish.

St Johns river north to and including Lake George, the river south including Lakes Dexter and Woodruff

Lots of area to fish, more to come.................................

Crappielover
11-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Can we fish Little Lake George?

Crappielover
11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Should I fish Hitchens Creek, or Blue Creek?

Crappielover
11-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Crappieday, can I follow you ??? :)

Speck Detector
11-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Goin' to try my luck at the southern rim of lake George juniper cove area into blue creek tomorrow, I've never fished George, but with the wind forecast being favorable & upcoming on-call weeks pending, I figured there's no better time for a new adventure.

Speck Detector
11-24-2013, 07:53 AM
What a beautiful day OTW, a body of water the size of George as slick as glass, joined the redfish club in fresh water, launched off a dirt "muddy" road & caught a little of everything, guess it qualifies as a adventure. For the report, besides the nice slab doubled with the red, couldn't string 5 like that together, caught a total of 10 specks with 6 in Blue creek where the cat & cracker doubled. Blue creek is not to troll in where I fished, but should be good to minnow & jig. Lake George is filled with floating eel grass & vegetation constantly cleaning lines in the east, west, & south ends couldn't get away from it. Forgot to pick-up plan B minnows

:banghead

Crappielover
11-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Nice work Speck Detector...you joined the Redfish Club!!! You have no idea how bad I wanted to join you on George yesterday! I had plans to go out of town or else I would have met you on the water. Glad you got the chance to explore some new water. I'm sure you learned a few things in preparation for the slabtogether. THX for sharing!!!

Speckanator
11-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Looks like a freshwater "slam" with a little taste of salt Thanks for posting!!

Crappieday
11-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Nice color on the red Speck Detector. Should have gone to Astor to check it out, instead I was checking out a ez way to get on to Woodruff. Big mistake!! Poor launch, then took a wrong turn, should have known I was going in the wrong direction when I passed three spreads of decoys (duck hunters) after running out of water(stuck in the mud) turned around and went passed the same duck hunters. Don't know why I didn't get shot?? After a long!! Long!! Run to the lake (1 hour later) only caught one and some nice brim. Back to the launch, had to wade in the water to get the boat back on the trailer. Was strapping the boat down when I noticed someone had smashed into my trailer.................
Was thinking of going up and try the Aster area turkey day morning......or I may just stay in bed..........

Crappieday
11-24-2013, 10:47 AM
To get to the Astor launch turn south onto Butler St. This will be on the west side of the Astor bridge. Looks like it's the second road from the bridge. Thinking of going up for a short scouting trip on Thursday morning will check out the launch more then, and the fishing too.

Speckanator
11-24-2013, 11:09 AM
To get to the Astor launch turn south onto Butler St. This will be on the west side of the Astor bridge. Looks like it's the second road from the bridge. Thinking of going up for a short scouting trip on Thursday morning will check out the launch more then, and the fishing too.

Hope you have a better boating day

65pontiac
11-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Nice speck and red. :ThumbsUp That eel grass is only going to get worse with all this wind all next week.

Crappielover
11-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Sorry Crappieday...guess you should have gone the more traditional route to Woodruff. Glad you made it out alive!!! I'm thinking about Woodruff or Dexter maybe next Friday contingent on the wind/weather.

Crappieday
11-24-2013, 02:16 PM
First time my GPS let me down. Followed it last year through the fog in the dark on Crescent Lake and it put me right at Hawl creek. This time it put me in a marsh and said I was in the lake. Should have followed the ducks, they knew where the lake was. Good luck next week.

Speck Detector
11-24-2013, 09:18 PM

Yeah Andy, I launched off George lake road, which was dirt, but had a concrete ramp right at the left side of those wooden bumpers onto the lake. Drove by Butler St. on the way home, had about 20 trailer parking spots on the grass, ramp looked decent into the river. Funny you mentioned the hunters, had one's truck blocking my trailer when I got back & said he'd move it for $100, I said we had a problem because I don't have a Franklin handy & he just smiled J/K was glad because him & his buds all had shot guns & all I had was 10 poles.

Shine Runner
11-27-2013, 12:39 AM
What a beautiful day OTW, a body of water the size of George as slick as glass, joined the redfish club in fresh water, launched off a dirt "muddy" road & caught a little of everything, guess it qualifies as a adventure. For the report, besides the nice slab doubled with the red, couldn't string 5 like that together, caught a total of 10 specks with 6 in Blue creek where the cat & cracker doubled. Blue creek is not to troll in where I fished, but should be good to minnow & jig. Lake George is filled with floating eel grass & vegetation constantly cleaning lines in the east, west, & south ends couldn't get away from it. Forgot to pick-up plan B minnows

:banghead

Wow! That had to be fun.

Crappieday
12-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Went up to Astor to checkout the launch and do a little fishing Friday. The launch is good with two ramps and a floating dock. Looks like there is parking for about 25 or so trailers, grass and hard lot parking.
Started out going up to some deep wood spots near George but when I was passing the Astor bridge I remembered that my coffee was sitting on the dock, back to the dock I go. Pulling up to the dock two guys were just pulling away I told them I was checking out the area for a tournament in a few weeks they said follow them. Followed them south around 1/2 mile to marker (1) very deep hole. They said that they just drift around dragging minnows. Looks like a good spot for the trollers and tight-liners, marked a lot of fish but could not get any biters. after trolling for an hour with out and luck headed up to my deep trees near George. Talked to a local fishing up there and he said he didn't have a bite all morning. Pulled into one of the trees and caught a few, largest two were 1.6lb. and 1.5lb. Tough windy day but caught a few should be good when the weather calms down.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/flfishbones/astor001_zps5d89fd28.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/flfishbones/media/astor001_zps5d89fd28.jpg.html)

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/flfishbones/astor004_zps41e56d29.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/flfishbones/media/astor004_zps41e56d29.jpg.html)

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/flfishbones/astor003_zpse9474783.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/flfishbones/media/astor003_zpse9474783.jpg.html)

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/flfishbones/astor002_zpsd1e495f2.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/flfishbones/media/astor002_zpsd1e495f2.jpg.html)

Crappielover
12-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Thx for the scoop Andy.

Speckanator
12-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Im sad to report I won't be able to attend the Astor event! There goes the competition!!:Rofl This will be the first one I've missed since I joined.

Crappielover
12-02-2013, 10:14 AM
I do not believe it! Speckantor, say it isn't so...

Speck Detector
12-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Im sad to report I won't be able to attend the Astor event! There goes the competition!!:Rofl This will be the first one I've missed since I joined.

Say What??? Hope all's OK on the home-front.

Speckanator
12-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Say What??? Hope all's OK on the home-front. No problems on the home-front.....
Just got a commitment in Georgia on that weekend. It's the only weekend I could get everything together. Kinda last minute etc.

Crappieday
12-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Sorry you got committed in Georgia, thought you would get committed in Florida first......
Going to miss ya guy..........

65pontiac
12-04-2013, 06:43 AM
No problems on the home-front.....
Just got a commitment in Georgia on that weekend. It's the only weekend I could get everything together. Kinda last minute etc.

Sh#*, who am I going to follow now. :dono

flycaster
12-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Sh#*, who am I going to follow now. :dono

NOT ME. Guess that we will have to follow speck detector or crappieday???????
Maybe even CrapSlabStu??????

SlowRideStu
12-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I know nothing............................... :) really............................ tried hitting Astor area this past weekend.........................got sucked into Crescent instead. Still tough decisions to be made........ go north to the inland sea of which I have never dropped a line into............... or head south to lakes I do know can produce......................... hopefully its a nice day and ill get a chance to hit a few places. Sure do wish it was a lot colder.

Thanks for the launch pics Andy................. going to give that launch a try this weekend.

Crappielover
12-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Did I miss the name or address of the boat ramp? My bad....etc, etc, etc...

Speckanator
12-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Hot off the press............speckanator will be front and center @ the Astor Slabtogether:fish..... with pontoon pappy in the back of the boat driving him crazy!~!:Rofl I've already cleared room for the BF trophy.......X...... eat your heart out!!!!Devil Icon Change in plans......the wife couldn't take it anymore....me moping around the house and all :biggrin

Crappielover
12-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Now we have a Slabtogether!!! Way to go Speckanator, see you on Saturday with pontoon pappy.

flycaster
12-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Hot off the press............speckanator will be front and center @ the Astor Slabtogether:fish..... with pontoon pappy in the back of the boat driving him crazy!~!:Rofl I've already cleared room for the BF trophy.......X...... eat your heart out!!!!Devil Icon Change in plans......the wife couldn't take it anymore....me moping around the house and all :biggrin
Who is going to be the driving force?? Who is going to drive who crazy????:Rofl:Rofl
Glad to hear that plans have been altered.:santa:angel:

Crappielover
12-09-2013, 10:17 AM

How early will you people be arriving at the boat ramp?

Speckanator
12-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I plan on being there between 6 and 6:30. Any place to there buy minners or shouldI bring em'? Luke, I got an inside tip on where to catch the moby specks!! email me.... mike@notachance.com

:Rofl

Crappielover
12-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I love it! And I'm still going to follow you! :angel:

Crappieday
12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Front st. Bait and Tackle 352-759-2795 half a block from the launch
I will be there around 6am to hand out the tickets.
Sorry I have not posted more but have had too much on my plate......................
Christmas, workkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk going to crap, etc.....etc.......etc...................

SlowRideStu
12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
5:30am which puts me there about 2 hours before JOHNSON & JOHNSON show up :) Ill be ready for some fun!

Stab in the dark.......errr game plan in full effect :)

Crappielover
12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
This CrapSlabStu guy is totally underestimating my ability to correctly utilize a fully-functioning alarm clock system. That being said..........I'll probably roll up about 8:00 a.m. :cool:

Crappieday
12-09-2013, 04:45 PM
This CrapSlabStu guy is totally underestimating my ability to correctly utilize a fully-functioning alarm clock system. That being said..........I'll probably roll up about 8:00 a.m. :cool:

Yep that's about right, and fish in front of the boat dock and catch 10 lbs. Of fish!!!!

Crappieday
12-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Ok, here it is.
Takeoff time any time after you get your raffle ticket. I will be at the launch at 6 am.
Weigh in time will be at 2:30 pm.
I would like to have a fruit jar @ $5 per boat, if anyone is interested??? Largest fish takes all.
Hope to get a package of giveaways from slab any day now, if he ever warms up from duck hunting in the ice.

Chucker
12-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Hey Days:
I will be with you in the fruit jar thing, sound great! How long are you going to be at the ramp giving out raffle tickets? 6am until when?
I will be there around 6:30 am, I hope.

Speckanator
12-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Hey Days:
I will be with you in the fruit jar thing, sound great! How long are you going to be at the ramp giving out raffle tickets? 6am until when?
I will be there around 6:30 am, I hope.

For those of you running late if Andy leaves I'll wait on you..... note: a small handling charge will be added:Rofl

Crappielover
12-10-2013, 11:48 AM
I'll try to find my way to the ramp in the dark around 6:00 a.m. That's right....6 a.m. I'm in for the 5 dollar fruit jar too.

Crappielover
12-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I was reading the Orlando Sentinel this morning and in the Sports section read this: Astor Slabtogether Tournament Odds.
Crappieday - 3 to 1
CrabSlabStu - 4 to 1
Speck Detector - 9 to 2
Pontiac65 - 9 to 2
Chucker - 9 to 2
Speckanator w PP - 12 to 1
Flycaster - 30 to 1
Big Johnson - 40 to 1

Speckanator
12-10-2013, 02:55 PM
I was reading the Orlando Sentinel this morning and in the Sports section read this: Astor Slabtogether Tournament Odds.
Crappieday - 3 to 1
CrabSlabStu - 4 to 1
Speck Detector - 9 to 2
Pontiac65 - 9 to 2
Chucker - 9 to 2
Speckanator w PP - 12 to 1
Flycaster - 30 to 1
Big Johnson - 40 to 1

I'd say that's RIGHT-ON .....I plan to catch the big fish between 12 and 1....whilest everybody else is eating they vienna sausage lunch!:Rofl

Chucker
12-10-2013, 03:41 PM
My lunch is going to be a Cold Cut Subway sandwich on to move. :fish
I got to do something to change my odds.:Rofl

Crappieday
12-10-2013, 04:49 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slab came through in a big way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look at all of the door prizes to giveaway.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/flfishbones/astor005_zpsf6f02efd.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/flfishbones/media/astor005_zpsf6f02efd.jpg.html)

Thank you so much Ed........................................

Speckanator
12-10-2013, 04:49 PM
My lunch is going to be a Cold Cut Subway sandwich on to move. :fish
I got to do something to change my odds.:Rofl

Actually I plan to have my trophy catch long before the lunch hour so X racer can buy me lunch at one of the local waterfront eateries. According to the odds he won't be busy anyway.:Rofl:Rofl

x racer
12-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Don't count me out on big fish. A buddy of mine lives up there and I ask him were a good place to start at would be and his answer was In the water. Man I got some good friends:banghead

Crappielover
12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Those Orlando Sentinel writers are sloppy; they did not do their due diligence. Heck they forgot to include one of the favorites:
X RACER !

specktacklure
12-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Looks like ya'll got some awesome prizes thanks to crappieday & slab. The weather is supposed to be good too, I wish everyone a great & safe day on the water.:fish

I will be at Crescent fishin the FCC classic against the big boys with the rumor being 12-14 lbs to take the win :yikes:help

See ya at the next one.

Crappieday
12-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Just remember specktacklure, the " big boys" don't always find the big fish. Good luck to you.

Speckanator
12-11-2013, 06:51 AM

65pontiac
12-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Just remember specktacklure, the " big boys" don't always find the big fish. Good luck to you.

I hope he is refering to the size of the fishermen. :Rofl Good luck specktacklure:ThumbsUp

65pontiac
12-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Is anyone prefishing? Or if someone lives close to Astor maybe they could check out the condition of the ramp as far as floaters.

Crappielover
12-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Is anyone prefishing? Or if someone lives close to Astor maybe they could check out the condition of the ramp as far as floaters.

I was thinking about staying in Astor Friday night so we could fish a bit on Friday afternoon. I'll post it if we decided to stay up there.

Crappielover
12-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Dad and I are staying in Astor tomorrow night...that way our boat will be the first one in the water. But it doesn't mean we'll be in the boat early on Saturday morning. :) Anybody else doing any Friday afternoon pre-fishing?

Speckanator
12-12-2013, 09:37 PM
our boat will be the first one in the water

Here's a pic of your test run today! :Rofl

144749 Looking good............

Crappieday
12-13-2013, 06:40 PM
See everyone at the launch around 6am, and good luck to all, it should be a fun day!!

Speckanator
12-13-2013, 06:52 PM
I'll be there

x racer
12-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Speckanator if you beat me there go head and pay for my parking spot