Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you fish this???

Post Thanks / Like

Default How would you fish this???

River channel is ~35-40'. Big mature growth along the channel edge. Otherwise, stick ups and trees everywhere. All the cover looks the same.

-What technique would you guys use?
    -How would you decide what to fish?
    -Live bait or jig?
    -Tie up and fish a spot or cover ground?
    -Cast at trees or Jig em with long pole

I know there is crappie in this lake but can't find anyone who knows how to catch them. No guides available to teach me.

Choke Canyon

Bass and Catfish---No sweat--

Crappie- Very hard unless it's spawn and then it's pretty easy.

Thanks for any advice.

-Arnie
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

I would start out with a 10ft. jig pole. 1/4 Big Head jig and tube. Start fishing vertical. Jigging shallow and go deeper. Always pay attention to where and how you catch the first fish. Once you catch the first crappie you should catch others on the same type of trees. Hope this helps.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krappiekrazy
    I would start out with a 10ft. jig pole. 1/4 Big Head jig and tube. Start fishing vertical. Jigging shallow and go deeper. Always pay attention to where and how you catch the first fish. Once you catch the first crappie you should catch others on the same type of trees. Hope this helps.

pretty much what krappiekrazy said,but i seem to get more bites on minners if the crappie are in close to the timber,and i always start on the shady side first...that seems to work best for me on ray roberts where i fish...

jerry

Post Thanks / Like

If there's any current at all, turn around and go home. Or find a slough to fish...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb according to this report from 10/11/06

Quote Originally Posted by DHanis_Dude
    River channel is ~35-40'. Big mature growth along the channel edge. Otherwise, stick ups and trees everywhere. All the cover looks the same.

-What technique would you guys use?
    -How would you decide what to fish?
    -Live bait or jig?
    -Tie up and fish a spot or cover ground?
    -Cast at trees or Jig em with long pole
    I know there is crappie in this lake but can't find anyone who knows how to catch them. No guides available to teach me.
    Choke Canyon
    Bass and Catfish---No sweat--
    Crappie- Very hard unless it's spawn and then it's pretty easy
    Thanks for any advice.
    -Arnie
    From Texas Parks & Wildlife website:
    Water clear; 79 degrees; 6.55' low.
    Crappie are fair on white Curb's crappie jigs tipped with live minnows over brushpiles and standing timber in 4 - 12 feet.

If I were to 'follow the crowd' ... I'd be fishing a similar method. But, if I were to "go it alone", and seek better than "fair" results ... I'd be "Vertical Casting" with a weedless jighead & plastic tube/grub body - right down the shanks of those standing trees, starting with those on the channel edges. And as "crome" has mentioned, work the shady side first. I'd start with any line of trees that are in 15' ... and work to those that are somewhat deeper.
    I base this decision on two factors - water temps of 79deg should put the fish at deeper depths (cooler water) ... and 6.5ft low water levels (if currently or recently falling) should pull fish away from the shallows. I don't know if that reasoning makes sense, to the ways of Texas fishing & the prevailing conditions ... but, it's been my experience in lakes from Central Ky to NE Ala, that Crappie will follow this pattern for these conditions. Locating the area and depth that large schools of baitfish are using, is also a prime factor in determining where and how deep the fish may be.
    I'll assume that we are talking White Crappie here. And, even though they prefer warmer waters, than do Black Crappie, they still have a limited tolerance to extremes. They will seek cooler waters, and more oxygenated waters. They can and do become lethargic in very warm waters. Oxygen generating plants, shade, and even wave action can become important factors ... and may even draw them into shallower waters, than one might expect (given what they would normally be expected to do). They also prefer stained to murky water conditions, so be on the lookout for this condition, if available. .......... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

O.K. I will ask the question from Crappiepappy's reply:::::

What are Curb's Crappie Jigs? Never heard of them here in northern Indiana. I am always interested in trying new baits.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff pretty much nailed the technique I would use in that circumstance. You mentioned a deep water channel. Once I had a good idea where it is and how it runs, the next question would be where are the crappie in relation to that channel -- down in it, on the ledge or up on top. Looks like to me you're in a great spot. The channel is the highway for the crappie to travel and they make stops along the way at different depths during different times of the year. They're there, just find the right depth and then follow that pattern.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

great info - I will be reading and re-reading all night!

I was there a week and a half ago and water temp was ~82 degrees in this area. There is no noticble current in this channel. I do know that upriver from HWY99 launch the water does not seem to be as "healthy" as the water heading towards the main lake.

I don't own a jigging pole but will buy one this week. 10' huh? That ought to do it for me? What type of reel fo I need for it? Type of line? Can anyone recommend a nice setup? I have Academy outdoors, Sportsman Wharehouse and a Bass Pro(opens in a week) to shop at.
    Although I've never done this, I envision running my trolling motor along the edge of the channel and dropping a jig right down the main trunk of the trees that are stacked up. Is it like doodlesocking bushes vertically for bass? Just drop the bait down in the zone and raise it up and down a few times? How long do you guys fish a piece of cover before you move?

I think this type of fishing would be fun while covering a lot of water. I want to find these fish. I know they are in there somewhere. I guess when I hit the right piece of cover I'll know it.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input. I'm a rookie crappie fisher but I want to pay my dues and figure these little turkeys out!

Thanks

-Arnie
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHanis_Dude
    I'm a rookie crappie fisher but I want to pay my dues and figure these little turkeys out!
    that's the right attitude for sure. as far as the pole goes, i'd get a 10-12 ft bnm graphite jig pole for vertical jigging. you cant go wrong with this workhorse of a pole. you should be able to get one for around 35 bucks and tip sections are available if you break one. good luck. that's some hellacious structure you got there. i'm a little jealous.

Post Thanks / Like

More Pics from Choke Canyon. This lake has so much cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -Arnie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast