Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 3 weight fly rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 weight fly rod

I went to the Cabelas bargain cave last week. Yeah, I know, that's like some one in AA wandering into a bar to use the phone. What could possibly go wrong?

Well it turns out they are closing out their Reddington CT fly rods for half off. $160 down to $75. CT stands for classic trout. Its a moderate to slow action rod and very sensitive. The three weight is geared for small fish. I couldn't resist and bought one. My lord this thing is fu n. Once you figure out how it wants to be cast, and here it is classic, as in elbow in and a slow count of four with a single haul, very different from my tarpon and snook rods, it will throw 35 feet just as sweet as you please. This thing is an absolute joy to cast. Its effortless and accurate.

Best part is though it lets small fish show off. I've fished for gill using small buggers and clousers and 1" Gulp minnows on a number 16 hook and I have caught a ton. Even the little guys are fun. A hand sized one feels like a two pound bass on a medium weight rod. I can not reccomend these rods highly enough. Compared to a six weight outfit its the difference between a ten pound and a four pound spinning rig.
    Best part is you can go cheap on the reel, $25 is fine as all it has to do is hold line and even on line a $20 special will do as you'only going to be casting thirty five feet or so. But man, for a hundred and fifteen bucks what a great way to turn hooking a panfish into a real fight. If you fly fish check these things out.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks!!