Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting T-Bars on aluminum boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting T-Bars on aluminum boats

Has anyone had concerns about mounting T-Bar rod holders to an aluminum floor? What I mean is that the floor on the boat where I would like to mount my rod holders is kind of thin. The floor has supports where the pedistal seat mounts are in the form of channel under the floor. There is no under floor access unless I make one and I'm not too thrilled about doing that to a new boat so putting reinforcement under is out. I could try putting extra aluminum on top I suppose but before I do that I was wondering if anyone has reinforced the floor on thier boat for a T-bar mount? The problem is not weather the screws will hold. The actual mount is fine. I just think that when I put the T-Bar on the mount it will "oil can" the floor if you understand what I'm saying making the rod holder kind of wobbly.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got my hi tek mounts all over my aluminum boat and often leave my holders in the bases when trailering. I havent had any problems with mine working loose over time by swaying back and forth like u are saying. Lowes carriers several items such as toggle anchors u could use when mounting your bases just for piece of mind though.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Handi. Don't think you would have a problem. But if you do I would get a couple of pieces of 1/4 in aluminum about 8-10 in square. Like Handi said go to Lowes and get good toggel's to mount that with then remount holders to the plate.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

got all kinds of bases with stainless steel course thread 1/4 screws in my rig...not a problem! Solid as a rock in my .100 gauge aluminum.

Drill the right pilot hole and ur good!
    Crappiedaze guide service pro staff, Jiffy Jig pro staff
    Seapro 19v CC, Lowrance Gen 2 touch, Driftmaster holders
    LIGHT WIRE HOOKS JUNKIE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

check out "jack nuts", might be what you're looking for.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is not the the actual mount. I'm sure the base will hold in the deck. What I'm concerened about is the possibility that a solidly mounted T-Bar may wobble with rods on it since it's mounted to a sheet aluminum deck. It may "oil can" if you know what I'm trying to say. I think cray may have the solution by mounting the HI-TeK base to a thick piece of aluminum that has a larger footprint then fastening that to the deck. The extra thickness may do the trick. I'm working on the rear deck. The front deck won"t be a problem since where those will mount has a more solid deck because of the boat construction in that part. Thanks for the replies. I've looked at all the ways boats are rigged in the pictures on here and there are as many ways to rig a crappie boat as there are crappie fisherman. I used both jack nuts and toggles when I mounted seat pedistals in my old fiberglass boat.

Post Thanks / Like

You are over thinking it..... not a bad thing though. I have no problem with them doing what you are thinking may happen. Dont think it will be a problem for you either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Handicrappie View Post
    You are over thinking it..... not a bad thing though. I have no problem with them doing what you are thinking may happen. Dont think it will be a problem for you either.
    You"re probably right! LOL! This is my first new boat and before I drill any holes I want to be sure. After the new wears off this whole conversation will probably seem silly to me. This is also the first time I've mounted T-bars. I've just had rod holders on the sides of my other boats. I've been longlining for years now I want to try spider rigging too. Speck fishing is addicting!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with adding the extra plate to spread out the pressure if you are gonna be doing a lot of traveling with your in there bases. Most of your good racks have some sort of removable base like Hi-Tek for instance. Taking them down when going to or from the fishing whole is a good idea to keep from damaging threads in your bases.
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

I would add a brace to the top and bottom of the holders, problem solved!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast