Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Coyote tails

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coyote tails

A friend of mine has a 'yote problem. Sadly for them, he also has a brand new suppresor on his AR. Basically, it sucks to be a coyote on his place, particularly after they ate his kitten. The man is on a mission, heck he was mumbling about night vision gear. He loved that cat.
    . Me though, I'm thinking that fox tail is great for fly and jig tying. You'd think coyote would be better as the hair is longer and its very water reppellent. The question is this. After detaching the tail from the south end of a coyote how do you salt and dry it so it doesn't stin!k?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can get the stink out of a coyote's tail. Their hide smells worse than any thing else I shoot. I won't even bring the carcass up to the house. I leave it on the gut pile to attract other of their ilk.

I salt deer tails by putting them in a zip-lock bag with coarse salt.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mounted animals from all over the world and still hate to see a coyote come thru the door. Even after putting the hide thru a tanning process, some of the smell manages to linger.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Wash your hides in tide laundry soap at the local laundry joint, this should be done late night or early morn they will smell great

As for the tails get a tail stripper to get the bone out then split the hide on the underside of the tail ( that would be the side facing the out house ) then take old spoon and scrape the fat and flesh off the hide the rub it down with salt and borax. Please it tails in a dry cool place for 3 to 5 days and all should be good then.
    I use to put up 40 to 60 critters a year and this works good, even an old nasty opossum will smell good after a bath in tide laundry soap.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Coyote hair is very course, it would work on a bucktail trimmed.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

we have trapped for quite a few years and of course we had to cure the hides when you skin the animal out make sure that you take a very sharp knife and cut the tailbone out just take the knife and start at the end and run it all the way to the tip of the tail and you can pull the bone out sometimes we would worst the heights and dishwater soap and rinse them very well hang them up for a while you can stretch the hide on a piece of plywood by using small nails and tacked it onto the plywood knowing most of you are not going to sell heights if you get a coyote so this method will work quite well also you can put borax on the hide skin will make it smell a little bit better and of course it will pick up a lot of oil from the skin I hope this will help you out this method can be used for any animal please note if you have any hides that you're wanting to get rid of please let us know we will gladly take them off your hands hides that I'm looking for badger coyote raccoon skunk Fox red in gray squirrel tails any other hides that you may have we are interested in anything and everything also chicken feathers we will buy scalps from any chicken in if you have any other tying material that you are wanting to get rid of we are definitely interested also you're looking for manufacturers of jig heads we buy per thousand in any bulk thread it must be top-of-the-line quality stuff.

www.bobsjigs.com