Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Moose1am's picture on brag board

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moose1am's picture on brag board

I just looked at the brag board and saw the picture of the crappie you posted from Orange Lake in Florida. Those crappie have got to be the darkest crappie I have ever seen. They appear to be darker than the male crappies I catch here when they are in full spawn mode. Is it common for the crappie down south to get that dark year round?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have caught crappie in the Pasquotank River in Elizabeth City, NC that were so black it came off on your hand. I believe it is from Cyprus trees as all our coastal rivers are stained with it. That brings up one of my pet peeves. All the articles your read about crappie fishing is based on lake fishing. There IS a big difference! Oh well, maybe I should hurry up and retire and write my own articles. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie66
    I just looked at the brag board and saw the picture of the crappie you posted from Orange Lake in Florida. Those crappie have got to be the darkest crappie I have ever seen. They appear to be darker than the male crappies I catch here when they are in full spawn mode. Is it common for the crappie down south to get that dark year round?

Hey, 66.......it's not unusual in shallow, clear water. Exposure to light causes color pigment to darken in almost all species. The lakes in FL are for the most part shallow and fairly clear. If you will compare fish caught in deep water to ones caught in shallow water the difference is obvious. In fact, if you leave your livewell door open, the fish inside will darken in just a few minutes. The water in Northern lakes are very clear, but they are also very deep, and most species will decend to a comfortable light and temp level, and won't be as dark as the fish in shallow water.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Hey, 66.......it's not unusual in shallow, clear water. Exposure to light causes color pigment to darken in almost all species. The lakes in FL are for the most part shallow and fairly clear. If you will compare fish caught in deep water to ones caught in shallow water the difference is obvious. In fact, if you leave your livewell door open, the fish inside will darken in just a few minutes. The water in Northern lakes are very clear, but they are also very deep, and most species will decend to a comfortable light and temp level, and won't be as dark as the fish in shallow water.
    Bill, you bring up an interesting point. I always thought it was just my imagination, but it seems like minnows get darker as the day goes on. Or at least their backs. I wonder if that is really happening when I leave the top off the bucket?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Bill, you bring up an interesting point. I always thought it was just my imagination, but it seems like minnows get darker as the day goes on. Or at least their backs. I wonder if that is really happening when I leave the top off the bucket?

IBN......try this next time you fish w/ minnows. Leave them under a dark cover for a while, note their color, then give them some sunlight for a bit to see if they become darker. In the past I have rarely used minnows, but it would be my guess they will darken also.