Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First Night Stalk - First Crappie Fishing Actually

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Night Stalk - First Crappie Fishing Actually

Hi all!

The NC/SC boys are gathering at Wylie tomorrow night and I'm hoping I'll be able to join them. Now I'm going to hope that someone there can point me in a good direction as far as finding a spot to fish, BUUUTTTTT what do I need to do to prep the boat and my tackle?

I've got enough rod holders to hold what equipment I have, don't have a light or any crappie specific tackle.

Any pointers for someone who's pretty green?

TIA!

~Phillip

Post Thanks / Like

Tote a full minner bucket for starters. Welcome to the forum.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome tracker!

Minner bucket ... check!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depth control can be big this time of year. Good floats or slip floats might be in order. Welcome from Middle Tennessee.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The basic's you will need,
    1. a under water light, you can get one at WalMart, Academy or BPS
    2. #7 split shots
    3. #2 gold hooks
    4. minnows

If one of the guys gives you a spot to fish anchor the boat, drop the underwater light 2' under the surface. Tie on a #2 gold hook on your line and put one #7 split shot 24'' above the hook. Hook a minnow, I hook them through the bottom of the lip and come out the top. Set the depth of your baits at different depths until you find the depth of the best bite and adjust all the bait to that depth. Set back and enjoy the nightstalk
    Hope you enjoy yourself, you will enjoy meeting some of the guys but use caution on anything they tell you to do
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

You will need a light of some kind in your boat so you can see to set up and hook minnows, etc. Sears sells an LED rechargeable trouble light and I got one of those to use. I caught it on sale for $20. Also very handy to keep around house or in car. It can also run off 12 volt or 120 volt with included cords.
    One other tip I learned the hard way. Most DF have a night setting so you don't blind yourself looking at the screen. I did not know this the first time I fished at night and had trouble trying to follow my GPS and still see out in front of the boat, The night setting will preserve your night vision.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for the advice guys! I'm looking forward to meeting folks! Now to find the fish!