PDA

View Full Version : Question maybe someone can answer

kyrich
11-06-2013, 02:11 PM
When you fuel your boat at the pumps why would you have to pay road or highway taxes?

Clint
11-06-2013, 03:42 PM
The pumps at the gas station are set up to collect the taxes automatically. I know I can keep my receipts for the diesel I buy for my tractor and turn in a form and get that money back (taken off my taxes). I don't because it does not amount to much. I'll bet the same form can be used for boat fuel. I would guess that the amount of gas you buy in a year for your boat would not make the effort worth it.

Here is a link to a website with all the form numbers you need:

Motor Fuel Tax Refund for Off-Road Use (http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/Issues/2011/Mar/20103438.htm)

What frosts my XXXXs is that the price at pumps at the marina are always considerably higher than the gas station's and they are not required to collect those taxes. I realize they incur an added expense because they have to have the fuel delivered to the docks, but even so it is a big difference.

wannabe fisherman
11-07-2013, 06:48 AM
"What frosts my XXXXs is that the price at pumps at the marina are always considerably higher than the gas station's and they are not required to collect those taxes. I realize they incur an added expense because they have to have the fuel delivered to the docks, but even so it is a big difference." Clint

X2

1fishhound1
11-08-2013, 10:24 AM
I have a friend that keeps every one of his boat gas receipts from Texas, where he lives, and turns them in with some paperwork at the end of the year and gets the road taxes on the gas back. Not sure if every state is like that though. You should be able to buy the red diesel by the barrel or even at the pump for your tractor.

bfish
11-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Paying road tax on gas is much cheaper than paying marine tax (which goes for spill recovery and building ramps).

eagle 1
11-08-2013, 07:49 PM
"What frosts my XXXXs is that the price at pumps at the marina are always considerably higher than the gas station's and they are not required to collect those taxes. I realize they incur an added expense because they have to have the fuel delivered to the docks, but even so it is a big difference." Clint

X2
CONVIENCE FEE ! CERTAINLY NOT A TAX .:Rofl