Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Friday "C" grade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday "C" grade

Finally got out last Friday on Indian Lake. This lake is pads, pads and more pads with a depth that averages only about 5 feet with a couple of 10 foot holes here and there. This time of year wood does not seem to hold any special attraction to the specs so most concentrate on the pads. I'm still not very confident in this situation just because I've not yet had one of those "knock your socks off" days but I know they're there. Got 5 on jigs in the 1st 45 minutes and then it went dead. Started moving around from pad field to pad field and got NOTHING for the next 5 HOURS until dusk, and then we knocked their socks off with minners and bobbers. Nothing like seeing that bobber go BLOOP for fun cept maybe the thump on a jig. Took home a dozen and a half to make up 3 nice bags of fillets for the fall but as I was thinking back I had to give myself only a "C" grade for the day. Even though I switched up on jig colors and moved around alot I later thought what I SHOULD have done is switched to smaller jigs and fished deeper water at the edges of the pads (more in the channels at the pad edges) to see if they were there. I totally locked in on "finding" them and they were probably there right where I started just in a foot or two deeper water (any advice)? Snapped my BnM but other than that it was just great to be out. GET IN MY BELLY

Post Thanks / Like

Fished indian last 2 weekends- pulled 3 man & 2 man limits respectively- averaging 10"-11"-the bite seems to start 11:00 on & I 'll suggest to work the dropoffs. Even subtle dropoffs seem to be a key- I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the response oldreeler. Must not be too many on line here that fishes shallow pad lakes. I'll keep the dropoffs in mind next time I get up there. Are you speaking in the channels or on the open lake? The wind was howling @20 mph last Friday so the channels were the only choice except for the south bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnonEye View Post
    Thanx for the response oldreeler. Must not be too many on line here that fishes shallow pad lakes. I'll keep the dropoffs in mind next time I get up there. Are you speaking in the channels or on the open lake? The wind was howling @20 mph last Friday so the channels were the only choice except for the south bank.
    If you have access to the feeder creeks, that is where I would look. Shad run up the feeder creeks in the Fall and the Crappie follow. Try isolated clumps of pads in deeper water. Also clumps that start shallow and run out into deeper water. Start on the edges of the pads on the deep side and work your way in to the shallow stuff. Dont be afraid to try the ones in less than 1' of water, especially early and late. Just remember to keep moving until you get bit. The most common mistake I see people make while fishing pads is they will pull up to a spot and just sit there with their jig in one spot for several minutes. The fish in those pads are feeding, so they will likely hit it on the fall if they are there. No need to hold your jig in one spot for more than a few seconds, there are times when this works better, but they are rare. I normally just troll past the pads, dipping as I go by. Then when I get a bite, I will stop and pick those pads apart. This is how I find them, as they will likely be bunched up in certain areas. Once you stop getting bit, move on. These spots will reload, so you can come back to those areas later. If you are just talking about a main lake situation, then I would target points that slope into deeper water, or have a channel nearby. Also a dead spot between two clumps of pads will be a transition area too, so dont pass those areas up. Lots of docks on the bank helps too. You will pick up lots of fish in pads near docks during midday when the sun is bright. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Cmj; 11-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

We try to stay out of the wind also so channels are the place to be- lily pads are dying quickly but remember that the stalks are still sticking up out of the bottom- you may not see them but you'll get snagged every once in a while to remind you- sparse pads, some wood and any type of drop off could bring a big smile to your face. The fish are feeding and when you locate them they'll a small jig readily

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanx guys... I like the point about trolling by the pads and stopping only if you get bit Cmj, I'm definately guilty of spending too much time in one block of pads. old reeler I think you have a good point also of "small jig." I've got 1/16 ounce weedless jig-heads but everything smaller than that is not weedless. This time of year seems like the smaller is better, maybe all the way down to 1/64th? Love this time of year huh?