Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig tier question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig tier question

I see the term "kiptail jig" used here a lot. What is kip? Is it an animal fur or hair? If so, what kind? Or is it a synthetic.

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Calf tail

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skip...been trying to figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what they look like and cost. As hair goes it's pretty short.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/sho...D=832&CATID=61

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

It sure is wonderful to work with though. Works like a charm too. Always great results.

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered some assorted colors. Can't wait to try it. Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default calf hair

Yeah its cheap, and easy to use, but there is something much better to use for crappie jigs, its called craft fur, and then there is polar fleece, acts just like mariboo, but is much easier to tie. The craft fur is used quite a bit here in southern ky for a thing called float and fly, and its a very good way to fish smallmouth in very cold water.I sarted using craft fur and and the other synthetic about 6 years ago, and those jigs will out fish anything in cold water, the hair just undulates at the smallest movement of the rod, and adding mylar tinsel, makes it even more effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Default and furthermore

Tying jigs is a great hobby for the wintery days when you DONT want to go fishing.Butwith the new plastics, and the ones with added attractants, I just gave it up, eye sight, and artritsi also was a factor.We started tying jigsin the early and mid sixties,weused to loose them by the pound on some of the rivers we fished. Two weeks ago, we had a county wide yard sale, all my unfinished jigs and hair and fur were all put in a box and sold, sure I'll miss it, but like the guy said in that movie the graduate"plastics". Craft fur will on some days out fish plastic by a good margin, but it hurts to loose a jig you spent 15 minutes tying, and showing off. But it is a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kyg -- I'm a fairly new tier. I took it up when I took up a fly rod several months ago. I've been a bream/crappie fisherman my entire life. Went trout fishing two years ago...so now I fish for trout also. The fly rod, for me, is a whole new experience that has really upped the excitement and challenge, so that's all I've been using the past few months for all species. LOL...I realized early on that I can't sling a 1/16 oz Roadrunner past my head without killing myself, so I experierment and tie crappie lures, bream and trout flies...and loving it.

Thanks for the tip on craft fur. I've seen it but never quite knew what to do with it. Will be trying it out soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I still like feathers best and I do use some synthetic stuff like craft fur for some jigs and others. I use kip tails, deer hair, Arctic Fox (very hard to best when looking for hair that acts much like marabou). Still I like feathers best weather it be marabou, hackle or Hungarian Partridge, Chuckars Partridge, Guinea, several types of Pheasant and Peacock, I use it all.

Why do you think Zell Rowland got so famous by taking a standard Pop R and modifying it by sanding down the sides and tying on a feather tail? Because it works and feathers will always work.

To each his or her own, but I like the difference and I like making unique looking jigs and I think we have all heard bass pro anglers talk about having something new the fish have not seen as a key to having a really good fishing trip. It's true, look at how the new chatter bait took off this year, they couldn't keep up with the buyers after they started placing and winning tournaments.

Anyway there will always be old stand by favorites that will work, but there will always be new and exciting things to make a bait new and one that works better then others. Just the way it is. I try to have something most people don't use to entice the bite and crappie hit a jig so fast usually because they want to see what just dropped into their space. Is also why many times a minnow will not get a bite as fast as a jig and catch the bigger fish.

All this of course is my opinion and that is all, but it is what I offer as food for thought!
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 10-18-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer