Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hoping the monsoon sticks around a while...

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hoping the monsoon sticks around a while...

Looks like a couple days of good rain. I know here in Howard CO we are still really behind...although was one of the wettest summers I can remember in a while.

We just finished working on our pond and hope to get some more fill. Moved alot of clay around and opened up some water sheds. The pond has four but the builder on had one open and smooth. The pond when full will be about 3 acres...and probably 15ft deep. I'll have to get some pictures up.

Hope to have a good stock type pond when finished...one kids can fish and are guarenteed to catch something.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I need to start working on mine. Actually, I have two that are about 1/2 acre each. My property was overgrown when I bought it in may of 2012. Between rehabbing the house and clearing the property, I haven't had as much time to work on the ponds as I wished. I feed what is in there. The "pond" perch will not give the catfish time to bite a hook. I am not sure where to start. I hate to rotnone. I don't think the coons can eat all of them before they stink up the place.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

lol. Yeah I know what you mean. I wouldn't want to go that route either. We had to dispose of a dog the other day...and my wife asked me what I thought God thought about it when we did something like that. She wasn't against it, he tore up ALOT of stuff...got ahold of some fishing stuff a couple times... but it made both of us think...I understand that animals were put here for our use (food and joy imho)...and we are to be good stewards of them. Didn't mean to go off on that just your post made me think about that discussion.

You know...I don't know what you think about people coming to your place...but there is a program with schools that the Game and Fish does I think. Kids come out and fish for a day. If you were open to that those little guys could come out and put the worms and bobbers in the water and maybe put a hole in your "pond perch". May take a few times...or maybe you could set it up with the local elementary or primary school. Nothing better than little kids and perch jerking!

Are the ponds pretty clean or is there alot of what we call "sludge" in them?
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRPEPPER View Post
    I need to start working on mine. Actually, I have two that are about 1/2 acre each. My property was overgrown when I bought it in may of 2012. Between rehabbing the house and clearing the property, I haven't had as much time to work on the ponds as I wished. I feed what is in there. The "pond" perch will not give the catfish time to bite a hook. I am not sure where to start. I hate to rotnone. I don't think the coons can eat all of them before they stink up the place.
    DP
    Easiest fix would be get a few Flatheads but they will eat everything in the ponds. When they've done their job you will have some great eating fish too. Flatheads are best predator to clean out ponds full of Bullheads and Bream.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Did not know that...good advice. Thanks for that...even though not my thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Even though there is only a few yards separating them, they are different. The first pond catches rain and I am pretty sure has a spring in it. The water is stained tanic from the leaves that settle in it; it is crystal clear in the winter. I have cooled off in it and the bottom is pretty clean except for the shallowest places. Those little bream sure can hurt when they peck you. It drains into the second pond. It has more timber and moss than the first one. The bank is still pretty overgrown. So, I haven't messed with it as much as the first one. I saw a couple of pretty large unidentified fish in it last spring. But, it has less activity when I feed than the first one does.
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I think during july or august I would find a way to connect them while water is so low. Got any pics of them?? Need to get some of my big hole in the ground...lol.