Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is a "Noodle Rod"?

PGottshall Guest

Default What is a "Noodle Rod"?

What is a "noodle rod"? I purchased one off e-bay, & it's listed as a medium. I expected a 9ft super UL I guess.

Did I get what I paid for?

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pg

Is it a BROWNING?
    I have a 10'6" Browning noodle rod UL.
    Browning actually makes these for fly fishing, trout, steel, ect. I think for crappie fishing UL would be better but, as long as it has the Browning name on it. It's going to be a quality rod
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

pg - go to http://www.thornebros.com/muskie/rod...is/noodle.html - This will tell you what a noodle rod is and what it was designed for.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

pg - what I am typing and what is showing on the screen is not the same. the words between muskie/ and / noodle is rods/gloomis
    Ken

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

another type of noodle pole is used for Alabama noodling. It is a 10'-14' 3/4" pvc with a nylon cord ran inside a big shiny treble on one end and a tie off rod on the other end. These are used to catch catfish from under concrete boat ramps and walls that have cracks, holes, that have eroded to form a pocket for these big cats. You wade in the water to do it right. In Mississippi they wade around and dig under the carved out embankments under stumps and overhanging tree roots. They don't used the pole they go bare handed and blind under there. It is called Mississippi Noodling. I watched a show about it on Disc. ch. The other type is done just west of me.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

PGottshall Guest

Thanks. The noodle-rods at the Thorne Bros link you gave me are all UL's, slow action. That's what I expected, a rod that bends like a "noodle"!

Thx,
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Post Some more Trivial Pursuit Dribble by the Rippa....

I seem to remember seeing or reading somewhere that the term "noodling" was originated from English, or British fisherman in pusuit of Trout, and especially Steelhead. It was derived by the action that one gave his presentation in an up and down fashion so that the bait would fall limp like a "noodle".

My absolute favorite rods of all time for Crappie, actually were Quantum Species Specific Salmon/Steelhead Noodling Rods in 9' & 10 1/2' lengths. They were medium light action. The 10 1/2' was tip heavy, but these poles were more sensitive than anything else I have owned, or even tried. They were not cheap either. I paid $75 each for them, and they were a special order item. Sadly, they've since been discontinued(Quantum was bought out) and I cannot replace my broken favorites.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids