PDA

View Full Version : Might have Run into a know it all this weekend.

crappie legend
10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Just when I thought I had it figured out I meet a guy this weekend that claims he has the inside scoop on crappie. He claims they go by sound more than sight, what do yall think, sight, sound, or smell. :banghead

Special K
10-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Hah! Funny this thread should pop up... because I am currently writing an article that deals with this very subject in right much detail. I will not hijack your thread crappie legend...
but of the three things mentioned above I am going to weigh in that crappies are predominantly sight hunters and leave it at that for right now.

crappie legend
10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks for weighing in on it,I would love to think they operate mostly on sight since I love to tying pretty color jigs an such.

Scrapper
10-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Just when I thought I had it figured out I meet a guy this weekend that claims he has the inside scoop on crappie. He claims they go by sound more than sight, what do yall think, sight, sound, or smell. :banghead

Did he have the mess of fish to prove it? :biggrin

Scrapper
10-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Hah! Funny this thread should pop up... because I am currently writing an article that deals with this very subject in right much detail. I will not hijack your thread crappie legend...
but of the three things mentioned above I am going to weigh in that crappies are predominantly sight hunters and leave it at that for right now.

Will your article be on the website or another source?? If not on the site I would love to read it. I love readings like that. I like to read service manuals...yeah I know....I'm weird... :rolleyes:

HillBilly
10-28-2013, 09:41 PM
This is going to be interesting:popcorn

6poundtest
10-29-2013, 05:30 AM
Well, if they really do bite due to sight, sound or smell, then most of them in my favorite water are deaf, blind and have stuffed up noses since so few of them bite my lures.

jimfish
10-29-2013, 05:48 AM
I have always felt that they use all 3 senses depending on water conditions.In stained or muddy water sound is first, smell and then sight.Since most of our lakes stay stained most of time I always have a bait that makes noise and it doesn't take much. Even when using plain hooks I use a split ring and 2 small blades turned back to back makes enough noise to get their attention then smell and sight kicks in.Just a few lil gimmicks I use.

wannabe fisherman
10-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Well, if they really do bite due to sight, sound or smell, then most of them in my favorite water are deaf, blind and have stuffed up noses since so few of them bite my lures.

:hesaid:cheers2

Special K
10-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Will your article be on the website or another source?? If not on the site I would love to read it. I love readings like that. I like to read service manuals...yeah I know....I'm weird... :rolleyes:

Yes Scrapper, the article will first be posted on the CDC Main Fishing Forum or on the North Carolina Board, (prolly in the next several days), but slab usually posts them on the Articles Section of the Home Page as well. Some people love to dig into the technical side of things to try to comprehend how they work, including me. I don't do service manuals yet... but I understand why you would. I really enjoy digging into all I can about crappie fishing and the things that I want to know regarding crappies' instinctive behaviors.

EnonEye
10-29-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't know for sure but I can tell you if I had a pair of globes like they do I'd sure be usin that sense 1st:Doh:

S10CHEVY
10-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Use to fish with an uncle, and about 15 minutes after the bite would end, before moving, he would have one of the young ones take a paddle, and slap it on the water. Then we would wait maybe 5 minutes, and either they would start biting again, or we were on the move, hoping to find them. Sometimes it worked. The lake we fished was usually stained.

Cane Pole
10-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Wunda what a jig smells like to a fish? I know theys respond to sound cause when I call them, the come a running.

jackie53
10-29-2013, 11:50 AM
We fish a deep clear lake very hard to fish. I have a friend that dives the old home places and ledges in our lake.He says when he dives the fish take off out of sight.He can swim to a rock or log on the bottom of the lake espically in 20 ft of water take a rock and bang it (hit the object,rock,log,tree ect) and the fish show up immediatly from out of no where.

Crappitier
10-29-2013, 12:02 PM
I think it's a combination of all the crappie senses? I can't wait to read the article.

Example: A Gulp Alive minnow will outfish any lure that looks and acts exactly like it! A regular Fin S plastic minnow looks just as good, it even stays on the jig better, has many more colors, but the Gulp will outfish it 10 to 1!

The fish must be able to "taste" the minnow ....... somehow?

jackie53
10-29-2013, 12:37 PM
A plastic lure co in our area is double dipping and adding different types of salt (table salt,sea salt,ect) even double salting their plastic crappie tubes.Sent us a bag of 100 ea color to try.They have worked great seems like when the fish bites holds on just long enough to set the hook.have even had the fish (crappie) to chase the bait all the way to the top of the water.Watched one crappie in the top of a tree follow the bait down.don't know if that fish got the bait are another crappie got it. Its fun trying new stuff!!!These should be out in Bass Pro shops soon!!!

DRPEPPER
10-29-2013, 01:50 PM
I ain't a "know it all", But I say sight must be very important. I fish a lake where a small presentation does better than any other. Then others where they want it larger. Speed of the presentation makes a difference too. I learned this dragging Bandits. Of course you need to be fishing where they are; not where they ain't. (Borrowed that from someones signature from a few years back)
DP