PDA

View Full Version : need advice about hook set

wylie catter
10-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Ok so I went out today and done my version of spider rigging. I had 5 rods out, and caught 2 fish pretty fast at 12' deep. From then on out I got almost constant bites but couldn't get a hook in them. The rod tip would barely bounce or pull down and the minnow would be gone. Or the rod tip would pull down or bounce and when I would reel it up to check it, the minnow would be dead with a bite mark about half way up its body. So what was I doing wrong in this situation? The water was dead calm today. I did this same thing last week with windy rough conditions and had really good hookups. Do yall think its because the water was so calm and the crappie just had time to hit the minnow instead of the hook? Should I have hooked the minnows different? Thanks for any input.

feelay
10-28-2013, 06:23 PM
may not be crappie....gar are hard to get a hook in. Small catfish will also play havoc with you.

dvuks
10-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Yellow Bass and Blue Gill also

wylie catter
10-28-2013, 07:32 PM
I did catch a big bream and catfish and bass. So is it not normal for crappie to do that kinda biting?

wylie catter
10-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Do yall ever hook your minnows through the tail.

flycaster
10-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Do yall ever hook your minnows through the tail.

If you do while spider rigging, you will be pulling the minnow backwards, and drown the minnow.

crappiefarmer
10-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Sounds like a bunch of gar to me too.CF

Cmj
10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
I was thinking Gar too. But if you are sure it is Crappie, maybe a lighter action rod will help. When the bite is light, the resistance of a stiffer rod can cause them to spit the hook before you can get the hook in them. Just a thought.

wylie catter
10-29-2013, 08:59 AM
If you do while spider rigging, you will be pulling the minnow backwards, and drown the minnow.

I haven't thought about thet.

monkscrappie
10-29-2013, 09:46 AM
If you were on Lake Wylie in NC/SC, it was White Perch stealing minnows. The Catawba chain is full of them.

Monk

Monk's Crappie (http://monkscrappie.com)

M R Dux
10-29-2013, 09:47 AM
How fast were you moving? Are you running some weight above your hook to "load up" the pole? What you are describing sounds like yellow bass/yellow stripes. They will hit very hard then be gone. Lots of folks who are new to spider-rigging will get a hit but wait to see if the fish stays with the bait. It is hard to get used to setting the hook on the slightest bite but you need to. Adding 1/2 oz of weight to load up the pole will let you detect those light bites where the fish just swims along with the bait. If the slight bend in the pole tends to straighten out to no bend, set the hook. I find that moving too slow will cause one to get the bites that the fish don't stay with moreso than if you are moving 0.5mph or so.

wylie catter
10-29-2013, 11:02 AM
If you were on Lake Wylie in NC/SC, it was White Perch stealing minnows. The Catawba chain is full of them.

Monk

Monk's Crappie (http://monkscrappie.com)

Yep I was on wylie. I didn't think about perch. I was fishing in a place that has a lot of bait in it. I did notice that the bait was stacked up kinda like a christmas tree. Mighta been perch. If I would've thought of that I couldve changed a rig and found out

wylie catter
10-29-2013, 11:10 AM
How fast were you moving? Are you running some weight above your hook to "load up" the pole? What you are describing sounds like yellow bass/yellow stripes. They will hit very hard then be gone. Lots of folks who are new to spider-rigging will get a hit but wait to see if the fish stays with the bait. It is hard to get used to setting the hook on the slightest bite but you need to. Adding 1/2 oz of weight to load up the pole will let you detect those light bites where the fish just swims along with the bait. If the slight bend in the pole tends to straighten out to no bend, set the hook. I find that moving too slow will cause one to get the bites that the fish don't stay with moreso than if you are moving 0.5mph or so.

I was moving real slow, too slow for the gps to measure. At times I didn't move at all just set over bait balls. I did have about a 1/2 oz of weight though, 3 big split shot. Iwas setting the hooks pretty fast, but not fast enough, I reckon. The two crappie I caught hammered the rod and hooked themselves pretty much.

Grainraiser
10-29-2013, 02:20 PM
In my area hits like that can only mean one thing. Sunfish are biting out the belly or the eyes of the minnow. It can be very frustrating to deal with.

Reggie

wylie catter
10-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Some of them were missing their eyes but I didn't know bream would do that.