Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Have rising gas prices affected your crappie fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have rising gas prices affected your crappie fishing?

I spent three times more money on gasoline than I did on food this month. If this keeps up I may not be able to afford to go crappie fishing. I have a small fuel effecient truck and a small alumimun boat which helps me.

I just wonder how you all with larger vehicles and large boat motors can afford to fish at these prices?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default gas prices

I agree, just got back from Rathbun and put $2.10/gal in the boat at a bait shop at Bridgeview. I've got a 115hp motor that isn't terrible on mileage, but that cut into our budget, I did make it a few miles from the lake to fill the truck up on the way home, and that helped. I guess they feel they have a "captive" audience around the lakes. Hope they don't find people will drive 10 miles to save on things like gas, food, and supplies, instead of supporting their bussiness. Heading to Mark Twain tonight, full of gas, food, supplies and we are going to stay in the truck. Still going to fish, just being creative on expenses. Roger
    If everyone concentrated on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Jigman
    I agree, just got back from Rathbun and put $2.10/gal in the boat at a bait shop at Bridgeview. I've got a 115hp motor that isn't terrible on mileage, but that cut into our budget, I did make it a few miles from the lake to fill the truck up on the way home, and that helped. I guess they feel they have a "captive" audience around the lakes. Hope they don't find people will drive 10 miles to save on things like gas, food, and supplies, instead of supporting their bussiness. Heading to Mark Twain tonight, full of gas, food, supplies and we are going to stay in the truck. Still going to fish, just being creative on expenses. Roger
    Roger,Ihave been to Mark Twain twice in the last week both times caught150 fish tons of small fish keep 60 9/10inch fish.There is no size limetsize.Gas prices around 1.89 lots a luck.
    Last edited by Berkley69; 05-13-2004 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Berkley69

Hey thanks for the info. my son and I are going to fish a Lions Club crappie tourn on Sat. Glad to hear about the gas price. I don't think 9/10" fish will do much in tourn, but if we can't do any better, they'll do. Last year we got 3rd place with 14.8# for 15 fish.
    If everyone concentrated on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles. :D

crappie cowboy(old) Guest

Default Gas &fish

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I spent three times more money on gasoline than I did on food this month. If this keeps up I may not be able to afford to go crappie fishing. I have a small fuel effecient truck and a small alumimun boat which helps me.

I just wonder how you all with larger vehicles and large boat motors can afford to fish at these prices?
    Moose,wow the gas is very high here and it's slowed my fishing trips down
    because I drive a 12mpg dodge ram truck and pull a 17 1/2 ft bass tracker.
    I drive about 100 miles round trip so I'm cutting back,I was
    going about 3 times a week but that's
    going to stop I can't afford it.
    It's about time for me to start night fishing for those old sly crappie.
    Go Fish........Crappie Cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

Hey moose, I feel your pain! It's one eighty six.nine here for unleaded regular,s/w georgia. The fishing sure is slow here, Hope it's better where you are. Good fishing! Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you kidding, Moose1am? Nothing is going to stop me from fishing! LOL...Sure, it tightens the belt on my budget and I'll have to stop buying jigs and lures for awhile. But it won't stop me from doing what I love to do, or PETA will lobby for even higher gas prices. lol BTW...Gas here in Ohio is $1.99/gal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Won't cut back my fishing

I'm not happy about the high gasoline prices, but I won't let it cut back on my fishing. I may have to do without some other luxuries to keep the tank full, but my fishing won't be affected. Gas was $1.84 today here in Missouri.

I don't mean to stick up for the oil companies - they've got us all "over a barrel" and I'm sure they could sell their product a lot cheaper if they wanted to.

Still, I read that gas in 1981 was the equivalent of $2.99 a gallon (figured in 2004 dollars). 'Way back when I was in high school (1963), gas for my '56 Chevy cost me about 32.9 cents a gallon. At the time I was flippin' hamburgers for minimum wage of $1 an hour. So a gallon of gas at that time cost me roughly 1/3 of an hour's work at minimum wage (and I thought I was rich).

High school kids now are making a minimum wage of about $6 an hour, and 1/3 of that would be about $2 a gallon for gas. So - maybe gasoline prices haven't changed much in all those years.

I'm a lot more concerned about the growth of HEALTH CARE costs and TAXES figured as a percentage of people's income. There's some extortion going on in those areas that makes the oil companies look like pretty good guys by comparison. - Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Moose1am, gas prices are bad, but has not slowed my fishing any. Just keeping me closer to the house

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Closer to Home

I hear you on that. I will adjust also. I have access to a three large stripper pits. The smallest is still 90 acres and 55ft deep. I am going to fish that more and fish Patoka Lake much less. It's a shame that we have to pay almost twice as much for a gallon of gasoline as we did in the past. The bad thing is that not only does it cost more to fill up the trucks and boats but everthing else that depends on transportation is going up also. Everything in this country depends on oil products.

I drove 75 miles from my house to Patoka Lake and 75 miles back to my house. I used less than a gallon of fuel for my boat motor as I only went about 1/2 from the boat ramp using the gas engine. The rest of the day I used my trolling motor. I have a Blue Top Optima Deep Cycle Battery for my 40# thrust Min-Kota trolling motor and I used it on high most of the day (5 Hours) the last time I went up to Patoka.

It's been raining so much this past month and this first part of May that I have not been able to fish much at all. Last year I could not fish due to my boat being in for repairs. Today it's raining and cloudy still. I was hoping that it was going to clear up today. I have to cut grass and it's too wet to get out and get that job done. If I only had some frogg togs LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    Moose1am, gas prices are bad, but has not slowed my fishing any. Just keeping me closer to the house
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast