PDA

View Full Version : Have rising gas prices affected your crappie fishing?

Moose1am
05-13-2004, 09:03 AM
I spent three times more money on gasoline than I did on food this month. If this keeps up I may not be able to afford to go crappie fishing. I have a small fuel effecient truck and a small alumimun boat which helps me.

I just wonder how you all with larger vehicles and large boat motors can afford to fish at these prices?

Jigman
05-13-2004, 10:21 AM
I agree, just got back from Rathbun and put $2.10/gal in the boat at a bait shop at Bridgeview. I've got a 115hp motor that isn't terrible on mileage, but that cut into our budget, I did make it a few miles from the lake to fill the truck up on the way home, and that helped. I guess they feel they have a "captive" audience around the lakes. Hope they don't find people will drive 10 miles to save on things like gas, food, and supplies, instead of supporting their bussiness. Heading to Mark Twain tonight, full of gas, food, supplies and we are going to stay in the truck. Still going to fish, just being creative on expenses. Roger

Berkley69
05-13-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree, just got back from Rathbun and put $2.10/gal in the boat at a bait shop at Bridgeview. I've got a 115hp motor that isn't terrible on mileage, but that cut into our budget, I did make it a few miles from the lake to fill the truck up on the way home, and that helped. I guess they feel they have a "captive" audience around the lakes. Hope they don't find people will drive 10 miles to save on things like gas, food, and supplies, instead of supporting their bussiness. Heading to Mark Twain tonight, full of gas, food, supplies and we are going to stay in the truck. Still going to fish, just being creative on expenses. Roger
Roger,Ihave been to Mark Twain twice in the last week both times caught150 fish tons of small fish keep 60 9/10inch fish.There is no size limetsize.Gas prices around 1.89 lots a luck.

Jigman
05-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Hey thanks for the info. my son and I are going to fish a Lions Club crappie tourn on Sat. Glad to hear about the gas price. I don't think 9/10" fish will do much in tourn, but if we can't do any better, they'll do. Last year we got 3rd place with 14.8# for 15 fish.

crappie cowboy(old)
05-13-2004, 04:47 PM
I spent three times more money on gasoline than I did on food this month. If this keeps up I may not be able to afford to go crappie fishing. I have a small fuel effecient truck and a small alumimun boat which helps me.

I just wonder how you all with larger vehicles and large boat motors can afford to fish at these prices?
Moose,wow the gas is very high here and it's slowed my fishing trips down
because I drive a 12mpg dodge ram truck and pull a 17 1/2 ft bass tracker.
I drive about 100 miles round trip so I'm cutting back,I was
going about 3 times a week but that's
going to stop I can't afford it.
It's about time for me to start night fishing for those old sly crappie.
Go Fish........Crappie Cowboy

JimmyS
05-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey moose, I feel your pain! It's one eighty six.nine here for unleaded regular,s/w georgia. The fishing sure is slow here, Hope it's better where you are. Good fishing! Jimmy S.

Crappie Chaser
05-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Are you kidding, Moose1am? Nothing is going to stop me from fishing! LOL...Sure, it tightens the belt on my budget and I'll have to stop buying jigs and lures for awhile. But it won't stop me from doing what I love to do, or PETA will lobby for even higher gas prices. lol BTW...Gas here in Ohio is $1.99/gal.

Sam W.
05-13-2004, 11:48 PM
I'm not happy about the high gasoline prices, but I won't let it cut back on my fishing. I may have to do without some other luxuries to keep the tank full, but my fishing won't be affected. Gas was $1.84 today here in Missouri.

I don't mean to stick up for the oil companies - they've got us all "over a barrel" and I'm sure they could sell their product a lot cheaper if they wanted to.

Still, I read that gas in 1981 was the equivalent of $2.99 a gallon (figured in 2004 dollars). 'Way back when I was in high school (1963), gas for my '56 Chevy cost me about 32.9 cents a gallon. At the time I was flippin' hamburgers for minimum wage of $1 an hour. So a gallon of gas at that time cost me roughly 1/3 of an hour's work at minimum wage (and I thought I was rich).

High school kids now are making a minimum wage of about $6 an hour, and 1/3 of that would be about $2 a gallon for gas. So - maybe gasoline prices haven't changed much in all those years.

I'm a lot more concerned about the growth of HEALTH CARE costs and TAXES figured as a percentage of people's income. There's some extortion going on in those areas that makes the oil companies look like pretty good guys by comparison. - Sam

fishingpox
05-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Moose1am, gas prices are bad, but has not slowed my fishing any. Just keeping me closer to the house

Moose1am
05-16-2004, 12:34 PM
I hear you on that. I will adjust also. I have access to a three large stripper pits. The smallest is still 90 acres and 55ft deep. I am going to fish that more and fish Patoka Lake much less. It's a shame that we have to pay almost twice as much for a gallon of gasoline as we did in the past. The bad thing is that not only does it cost more to fill up the trucks and boats but everthing else that depends on transportation is going up also. Everything in this country depends on oil products.

I drove 75 miles from my house to Patoka Lake and 75 miles back to my house. I used less than a gallon of fuel for my boat motor as I only went about 1/2 from the boat ramp using the gas engine. The rest of the day I used my trolling motor. I have a Blue Top Optima Deep Cycle Battery for my 40# thrust Min-Kota trolling motor and I used it on high most of the day (5 Hours) the last time I went up to Patoka.

It's been raining so much this past month and this first part of May that I have not been able to fish much at all. Last year I could not fish due to my boat being in for repairs. Today it's raining and cloudy still. I was hoping that it was going to clear up today. I have to cut grass and it's too wet to get out and get that job done. If I only had some frogg togs LOL

Moose1am, gas prices are bad, but has not slowed my fishing any. Just keeping me closer to the house

Larry C
05-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey Moose,

You'll have to do like I do. First I put back some fishing money, then some beer money, then bowling money and if anything is left I'd buy some food..haha You just have to have your priorities in order..

Small Minnow
05-17-2004, 07:03 PM
The price of gas here in Texas is high today and higher tomorrow. I drive 85 miles to Lake Sam Rayborn and burn $30.00 in the truck and one gallon in the boat. I will have to find a closer place to fish also.
Small Minnow

Moose1am
05-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Today the price of gasoline jumped up another ten cents to $1.989

I see that over three hundred people have looked at this thread an only 11 have taken the time to post on this thread about high prices of gasoline.

No wonder they keep jacking up the prices. Is there nothing that we can do to stop the price increases?

The price of gas here in Texas is high today and higher tomorrow. I drive 85 miles to Lake Sam Rayborn and burn $30.00 in the truck and one gallon in the boat. I will have to find a closer place to fish also.
Small Minnow

Clay95
05-18-2004, 08:49 PM
I just started Crappie fishing. Went to KL last fall. I pull an 1800 Lund to Lake Michigan twice a month to pre-fish and fish Salmon tourn'ys. It's 500 miles round trip.Wife and I have salmon 3 times a week.I'm 61 years old. My Dad passed away at 64,never made retirement. I've sent 2 kids thru college and now the wife says it's my turn to do what I enjoy. I don't plan on changing my quality of life I've worked for. Might have to cut back on spoons and flies, I really don't need any more. LOL
I've worked construction all my life and I'm not rich. But by God I'm going to FISH. End of sermon. Clay

Kokomo Bob
05-19-2004, 03:26 PM
I love it. Less jet ski's, less skiers, less pleasure boaters, less ramp traffic.
How sweet it is.

Moose1am
05-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Are any of you guys or gals thinking about vehical gas milage when you go out looking for a new truck to pull your boat?

How about those hybrid gasoline/electric vehicles?

I read where the sales of SUV's are dropping and the auto companies are increasing the rebates for SUV's.

What will your next tow vehicle be?

I would love to see less skiers and jet skies on the lake. Fortunately I fish a lake that has areas that are out of bounds for those activities and I can fish peacefully in one area of the lake and if I choose go to another area of the lake to water ski. Never did like fishing with those peskie ski boats running around my fishing boat though.

I love it. Less jet ski's, less skiers, less pleasure boaters, less ramp traffic.
How sweet it is.

Jerry Blake
05-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Are any of you guys or gals thinking about vehical gas milage when you go out looking for a new truck to pull your boat?

How about those hybrid gasoline/electric vehicles?

I read where the sales of SUV's are dropping and the auto companies are increasing the rebates for SUV's.

What will your next tow vehicle be?

I would love to see less skiers and jet skies on the lake. Fortunately I fish a lake that has areas that are out of bounds for those activities and I can fish peacefully in one area of the lake and if I choose go to another area of the lake to water ski. Never did like fishing with those peskie ski boats running around my fishing boat though.

Hey Moose,

I bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummings Diesel engine almost two months ago for pulling my heavy 21í Kenner Center Console every day.

I can still get diesel for $1.69 and Iím getting nearly half again better mileage than I was with the V-6 Ford E-150 Conversion Van I traded in. And the mileage is supposed to get better as the truck gets broken in.

Iíll have to drive it for 10-years to make it worth it for what it cost Ė just hope it holds up that long!

Hopefully with the higher gas prices people will start driving more economical vehicles for basic transportation. Seems like everyone drives an SUV now.

FISH ON!
Jerry

slab_seeker
05-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Since I normally fish close to home and on a hard day of fishing I don't burn no more than 3 gallons of gas, it hasn't affected me YET.

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
06-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Since I normally fish close to home and on a hard day of fishing I don't burn no more than 3 gallons of gas, it hasn't affected me YET.

The closest tournament I have fished this year was 220 miles away, one way. I am really feeling the pinch from these ridiculous prices. I will be traveling nearly 800 miles 1 way for a tournament in 2 weeks. Some of the tournamentss we have fished, a 1st place finish would not even cover the expenses of going to the event.

I do enjoy local waters, but I have fallen in love with many lakes through out the USA. I hope I can afford to continue my love of the sport in more than my neighboring states. <,"}/>{Rippa

Roberta
06-10-2004, 08:17 PM
This has been an interesting thread to follow.

My old '92 Chevy Beauville (14 mpg) van finally had to be replaced so now we're pulling our little boat with a 2002 Blazer (18+mpg). The boat is so small it hardlym akes a difference, but with gas prices hovering around $1.96, I don't take a drive to see how the lake looks like I may have in the past. We dom ost of our fishing within 25 miles of home, so gas prices haven't had a major impact on our fishing.

As for the hybrids, they don't pay - a least for us. Purchase price and ACTUAL mileage don't compare to what Doug's Cavalier 5-speed stick gets (32mpg) and it had a pretty low purchase price. - Roberta

CrappiePappy
06-11-2004, 08:38 PM
My 1994 S10 Blazer still gets around 17mpg when towing the boat ... about the same mpg I get driving thru intown traffic. It isn't the rising gas prices that have hampered my fishing, as much as "rising water levels"....LOL! Most of my Crappie waters are way over pool ... and my "favorite" has been over the parking lot :eek: --- but, when I do go ... it's usually with a buddy, so the expenses are shared ... and that makes it easier to deal with. ...cp

mikeg
03-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Yes I admit I voted for the man that was going to open up drilling on West Cost,Alaska and other places five years ago broken promises,broken promises.This may seem cruel but the drilling on the West Coast, East Coast should be allowed or the South should SHUT THE VALVE OFF about NOVEMBER AND KEEP IT OFF UNTIL SPRING.Yes I now that the south only supplies a small amount of Oil and Gas for the country. But believe me I now the Southern Oil Co. play the game I worked in the oil business for over 20 years. The game is drill well's and cap them and set back and watch the prices go up. Thair is a lot of States that could allow drilling Florida included. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I guess it will. It is not the poor Crappie fishermen and hard working people like us but the POLLITIONS THAT WE PUT IN OFFICE YEAR AFTER YEAR.
I hope before the end of the year we can keep or boat tanks full and our trucks to where we can take some of those enjoyable fishing trips. And take our Children on Vacation.

unknown 5
03-08-2005, 07:30 PM
I live on a lake, so instead of fishing some of the other local lakes, most of my fishing will be at the home lake.
We have oil people running the country, do you think they are taking advantage of their position?

Larry-Southern Indiana
03-08-2005, 08:58 PM
I'll Still Fish Patoka Every Weekend Like I Usually Do. I Don't Burn Alot Of Gas Most Of The Time Anyways And If I Need A Few Extra Bucks I'll Work One Sat. A Month To Cover The Months Gas Bill For Boat And Truck. We're Still Going To The Camp Every Weekend Regardless Of How Much Bush Lets Us Get Screwed Out Of..big Oil Business Has Bought Off Just About Every Politican In Washington To Keep Any Of Legislation From Coming Out That Would Hurt Their Sales Of Oil. And That's The Way It's Going To Be Until Attitudes Are Changed In This Country And We Force(fire The Sob's) Politicans To Do What Is Right For The Majority Of People Not The Selected Few. Most People In This Country Have Shown They Don't Care About Issues Untill It Hits Them One Or Another. Most Are Probably To F'n Dumb To Understand Anyways. Soundbites Is What They Hear And Probably Is What Influences Their Decision. Sad Ain't It?

Larry

okeechobee fisher
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
nope my dad pays for the gas LOL!

fiddlefarter
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
I drive a 2003 S-10 so I get good gas mileage. I have a '93 Johnson 150hp and it don't get so good of mileage but I figure if I keep my foot out of it I'll get by. I live <10 miles of two different lakes and I usually fish one or the other. I had planned on fishing KY lake some this year but it's hard to get up and drive 100 miles when I can just go 15 minutes down the road. When turkey season starts I'll be driving to KY lake some weekends anyway so I'll probably tote the boat a few times and fish in the evenings. My saving grace as far as buying fuel is that I have a company truck and I don't have to buy gas during the week. I only drive my own truck on the weekends and a tankful lasts a while like that. If I didn't have a work truck and I still had to drive to downtown Nastyville where our office is I would definitely be riding the train when it gets going later this year.

My question is: if they can make synthetic oil, why can't synthetic gas be made? I have a hard time believing it can't be done. Look at all the unimaginable items we use everyday cell phones, gps, internet. Why couldn't I have been a chemical engineer not a construction guy?

GABoy
03-08-2005, 09:53 PM

IT SURE WILL NOT AFFECT MY FISHING....I JUST FILLED UP MY TRUCK TODAY FOR A SMALL FEE OF $ 50.00 even!!!!

Tn_countryboy
03-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Hey Moose,

I bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummings Diesel engine almost two months ago for pulling my heavy 21í Kenner Center Console every day.

I can still get diesel for $1.69 and Iím getting nearly half again better mileage than I was with the V-6 Ford E-150 Conversion Van I traded in. And the mileage is supposed to get better as the truck gets broken in.

Iíll have to drive it for 10-years to make it worth it for what it cost Ė just hope it holds up that long!

Hopefully with the higher gas prices people will start driving more economical vehicles for basic transportation. Seems like everyone drives an SUV now.

FISH ON!
JerryIt'll last that long, I have a 94 with 218K and it still runs like a sewing machine, get's 20 mpg combination driving and uses one qt/7500 miles.

KILLER
03-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Iam fed up with the gas, the way i am looking at it the higher the gas goes the less people on the water, i dont care anymore. More crappie for me

whizkids
03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Iam fed up with the gas, the way i am looking at it the higher the gas goes the less people on the water, i dont care anymore. More crappie for me

You go man, Just you and me. :D

BeauxBeaux
03-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Gas went up .05 yesterday & .06 yesterday. now- 1.91 reg 87% I drive a ford f-150 (16mpg). Had planned on checking out the hybrid trucks this summer. Diesel is higher than gas here, so I'm told. Hasn't affected my fishinbut I proably would have fished more areas if gas was a buck a gallon Bbeaux

KARL
03-08-2005, 11:23 PM
I'll Still Fish Patoka Every Weekend Like I Usually Do. I Don't Burn Alot Of Gas Most Of The Time Anyways And If I Need A Few Extra Bucks I'll Work One Sat. A Month To Cover The Months Gas Bill For Boat And Truck. We're Still Going To The Camp Every Weekend Regardless Of How Much Bush Lets Us Get Screwed Out Of..big Oil Business Has Bought Off Just About Every Politican In Washington To Keep Any Of Legislation From Coming Out That Would Hurt Their Sales Of Oil. And That's The Way It's Going To Be Until Attitudes Are Changed In This Country And We Force(fire The Sob's) Politicans To Do What Is Right For The Majority Of People Not The Selected Few. Most People In This Country Have Shown They Don't Care About Issues Untill It Hits Them One Or Another. Most Are Probably To F'n Dumb To Understand Anyways. Soundbites Is What They Hear And Probably Is What Influences Their Decision. Sad Ain't It?

Larry
..gas prices wouldn't matter as much if the oil companies would let fuel efficient inventions make it to the marketplace...it was oil co. that bought and put the kabash on the 50mpg carb in the 50's...and started making it hard on fuel efficient foreign manufactors.......yes, its a shame that we have a "herd" mentality afraid for the most part to buck tradition for fear of being called unamerican..........as for less fishing...hell no!!!! :o I'll stop eating first!!!! :D could stand to lose a few pounds anyway.. :p

Moose1am
03-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Well my neighbor wants to keep his 40K Chevy Suburban but when he pulls up to the pump he leaves with a full tank but he is missing 56 bucks out of his wallet. And he has to stop at the gas station once or more times a week. This does not count going fishing on the weekends. This is just to get to and from work.

I am doing my part to conserve I stay home as much as possible and only go somewhere when I absolutely need to go. I may have to get a lock for my gas tank on my truck though. With the price of gas continuing to creep skyward it's becoming as valuable as liquid gold.

My god will the oil barrons ever get enough money? I know one guy that is a multimilionair and lives at No 1 Johnson Place in a subdivision on the East Side of Evansville, IN. I know he was unhappy when oil was down to 30 dollars a barrel. I bet that he is smiling today with oil selling for over $50 a barrel. BTW he runs an oil business here in Southern IN.

The other morning on the IMUS show an MSNBC commentator appeared to be telling everyone that the economy was ok even with these higher gasoline prices. He was comparing todays prices with those in the early 1980s and said that today we are better off. He said that oil would have to get to $3.00 per gallon before it effected todays economy. I say he is full of it. LOL

Gasoline at $2.00 per gallon is effecting the economy adversely right now. Gasoline prices need to drop back down to $1.00 a gallon and sooner is better than later.

duane
03-09-2005, 03:00 AM
GREAT THREAD!!!!!!

I will start out saying yes it will affect my fishing. Closet lake to me is 75 miles each way. Lake I like to fish is 150 miles each way. I drive a 1997 F-150 with a V-8 and get 16 mpg with or without a boat. # BPS in my state all are 100 miles from me.
Will not affect my spring crappie fishing all that much but will have to stay home more during the summer to pay of the oil credit card.

I drove a truck over the road for 25+ years. Everything we use is affected by gas prices. We are paying more for Ground beef now than we were cheap steak cuts 2 years ago. You let gas prices go up another dollar a gallon and you will see this nation take a big hit in everything we do and buy.

Health Care cost! I pay $64 dollars a week ($256 a month) for my part to have good health care, my employer pays $550 a month, so my health care for my family cost $906 every month. I still have to pay a co-pay when I go to the doctor.

Crappie Stalker
03-09-2005, 08:01 AM
It's killin us here in west Tennessee. I drive a 2000 F-150 and get 18 mpg on a good day, 15 mpg haulin the boat. 60 miles to the boat ramp - yesterday's gas price - $1.95/gallon. I drive 70 miles a day round trip for work and the wife drives anywhere from 300 to 700 miles per week for work, no gas reimbursement. BUT - we are still fishing!!!! Don't smoke, don't drink much - gotta have something!

dpfromRockHill
03-09-2005, 09:22 AM
gas here was 1.81 yesterday at the cheapest place i saw..diesal was 2.09

prices wont affect my fishing much because i live about 5 miles from the lake i fish, and i mostly troll or night fish

however it will affect my ability to take an annual trip to a dream fishing spot (for me lake okeechobee)..been the past 2 years and the major expense was gas..400 dollars in gas will be enough to end those trips i think

Dutch
03-09-2005, 10:22 AM
I guess I am one of the lucky few, little debt (just house, truck, wifey's jeep, no credit cards ). I drive a 2003 GMC Sierra (2wd), and have a Pro team 165 with a 25hp motor. So gas prices will not keep me from going fishing.

TAE73
03-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Hey Moose,

FISH ON!
Jerry

Jerry,

Glad to see another dodge cummins guy! You are lucky if you are buying diesel for that. Just north of you in Missouri its around 2 bucks a gallon for us. Yes you will get better as it breaks in. I get 13 miles to a gallon pullen a 5,000 boat and trailer down the road. You dont have to worry about the motor not lasting, its the rest of the truck that you have to worry about. If you ever need information or question on the dodge cummins, thats as good as crappie.com check out www.turbodieselregister.com. Has tons of info on the our trucks.

As for the higher cost, I just cut back on what I eat. No eating out, the day I go fishing. I just pack some chips, soda, and ham sandwiches. There is no way I am going to cut back on crappie fishing. I will just cut back on everything else.

DENNIS BOWERS
03-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Its1.99 A Galion Here But It Isnt Cuttin Back On My Fishing.i Live On The Lake-hardly Ever Take My Boat Out!if It Gets To Bad Guess We"ll Just Cut Back Somewhere Else!! Good Fishin To Ya!!!!dennis

gmpartsman
03-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Gas prices jumped .10 Monday to 1.96.9. What amazes me is that it jumped at all the stations, not 1 or 2. Coincidence? I hear Bush money comes from petroleum, so why should he care if fuel prices rise.
It hasn't affected my fishing yet but it could. It's 38 miles to the lake I fish, but I only go on the weekend. I plan on going a often as I can and loading the freezer with fish to help offset the high gas prices. LOL

KScrappie1
03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Won't effect my pleasure fishing much but it looks like it will cut into my tournament fishing bigtime. No tournaments close by, always have to travel a lot of miles to compete in a crappie tournament.

KScrappie1

unknown 5
03-09-2005, 01:06 PM
One guy mentioned buying a hybrid truck. Good luck. I was told Toyota was coming out with one but they all will be going to "fleet buyers" first.
The thing that agrivates me is that they had hybrid technology 30 years ago, I know, I studied it when I was in college. And, the technolgy is much older than that. Look at any railroad engine, that is hybrid technology. We all could be getting 50+ miles per gallon with the same power and better performance but the large automoble manufacturers are ramming the current gas guzzlers down our throat. Can anyone tell me why General Motors has a division called their Electro Motive Division (train engines) since the 1940's and Japanese auto manufactuers are leading the way with hybid vehicles that get 50 MPGs in 2005? General Motors has had the technology for over 60 years! It works just fine! If electric motors can pull trains with the power and speed they run at, why hasn't the technology been used in automobiles? I personally think the auto industry is in bed with the oil companies. Wasn't Dick Nixon famous for saying "when you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"? The oil companies have us by the balls ( in my opinion).

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
03-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Won't effect my pleasure fishing much but it looks like it will cut into my tournament fishing bigtime. No tournaments close by, always have to travel a lot of miles to compete in a crappie tournament.
KScrappie1

I feel your pain! I leave for Lake O' The Pines next Wednesday. It's at least 13 hrs away, one way! I will be on the road every week now for tournaments, with none being closer than 200 miles away, until June 25th. I will then start it back up again on 8/20. This rise in gas is really going to hurt in trying to keep this type of schedule up. The timing could not have been worse!

Anybody heard of the Pogo carberator? It was evidently invented several decades ago. It reportedly could make a Cadillac get more than 70 MPG, and a compact up to 200. Last I knew, you could send off for free copies of the design in order to build it; but I have no idea where. Maybe 'ol Moose will provide us with the proverbial Paul Harvey's tag line: " The rest of the story!" :p

What the hell happened to "The Land of The Free" anyway? :(

<*>< Rippa

dave
03-09-2005, 02:59 PM
i live 5 miles from kerr lake so its not bad at all for me and the 76 inline6 115hp that i have does good on gas as long as i don`t drive it wide open.gas here in boydton,va is 1.86 but at the marina it is 6.50 he says its a pumping fee.he want be pumping mine.

410MAN
03-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Say LippaRippamon, you come to pines for crappie tourn on 19th? I live 20 miles, fish it all time, for last 45 years, just started crappie lookin this year, I may can give ya some info if ya need it, let me know, I not fishin that tourn but gonna watch some.thank you

Tugaloo
03-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I live 3 hours away from the lake where I fish. I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to afford as many trips this year.

But what's so tough is that I do a LOT of driving on my job & I haven't gotten a mileage adjustment in 3 years. That means that every time gas goes up, my salary goes down. I'm operating right now on a budget that hasn't changed since 2002.

Does anyone know where I can find what gas was selling far in the Fall of 2002?

Thanks

Tugaloo

Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
03-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Say LippaRippamon, you come to pines for crappie tourn on 19th? I live 20 miles, fish it all time, for last 45 years, just started crappie lookin this year, I may can give ya some info if ya need it, let me know, I not fishin that tourn but gonna watch some.thank you

I would love to talk & meet with ya 410MAN! Check your PM's. :D <,"}/>{ Rippa

fish21759
03-09-2005, 05:55 PM
I have the first two full weeks off in April and had been planning on fishing every day but now I'm going to cut back just a little . Every time I run to Shelbyville lake it cost about 30.00 to 40.00 dollars . It's not that much but it adds up . I'll just have to stop eating so I can fish more .

Kevin ><)))*>

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
03-09-2005, 06:11 PM
I just paid 2.11 here in east central illinois :mad: I can make a full tank of gas in my boat last for at least 7 trips out on the water. The lake I fish most is only a 20 minute drive for me. I'm in for a 9 hour drive one way to see Jerry Blake next week. So the gas will hit me hard next week. I figure to Hot Springs and back I'm looking at filling up about 6-7 times. That will be at least $30.00 per fill :eek: I'm pretty much a home body but, I like to leave the state about twice a year to fish somewhere. So I just have to bite the bullet when it comes to high gas prices. I'm starting to have the ''you only live once attitude'' I could die tomorrow and the high gas prices won't seem to care a bit. I have noticed that I never have enough money wether the price of gas is $1.50 or $2.50. Life is too short to not go crappie fishing when your schedule allows it. Even if it's 3-4 times a week :D

Hoot
03-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm gonna rig up a sail on my little jon boat just in case I simply can't afford gas. Or make midnight runs on the neighbors lawn mowers.

It's sixteen miles to my lake and yes...it's crossed my mind that I'm spending more to fuel my old fish'n truck. I make 4 to 5 trips to the lake each week.

But...I could be spending that dough on a lot worse things I guess. At least I don't have to buy a Skippers Treat at Burger King to eat fish.

Ranger690
03-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Come on folks. Who are we kidding? Gas is still cheaper than milk, pepsi, bottled water etc.

Even if your tow vehicle gets 15mpg and it is 75 miles to the lake (150 round trip), that is 10 gallons. If it jumps 25 cents overnight, you are telling me that extra $2.50 is going to hurt? If $2.50 gets ya, you were due to give up fishing very soon anyway. I burn about another 10gal in the boat. So, that is $5.oo per trip. I am not going to sweat it. That is one hamburger combo.

It ain't that bad. Gas prices have been artifically low for a long time. Don't forget that 37.5 cents per gallon is tax. And in VA you can get a 17.5 cents per gallon refund from Dept Motor Vehicals for all gas not used in a road vehicle.

Go fish.

Dayton

Meat on the Table
03-09-2005, 10:43 PM
I live on Lake Barkley in Western Kentucky, with only a mile drive to a ramp. But, gas prices have put a crimp in how I fish, I sold my ranger, and have bought a 15' deep and wide river jon with an old 18hp Evinrude. My boat is named the same as my user name on this site, which was what my late father used to say every time he caught a crappie. I have found, I am enjoying my self maybe more than ever with the memories of old time fishing trips with my dad and granddad brought back by the ole jon and evinrude. I am also catching as many fish as I ever have. Could it be the fisherman and not the equipment?

Moose1am
03-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Big boats are not needed if you have the knowledge to find the fish. All you need is a small boat most days. Now if you try to fish the main part of KY or Barkley Lake with a good wind then a larger (longer&Wider) boat may help from a safety point of view. But then there are always protected coves that can be fished under most conditions. I have only been unable to fish Cypress Bay when there were very high winds and even on those types of days there were coves withing that bay that were fishable.

Gasoline is now $1.969 here in the Evansville, IN Area on March 10, 2005. It's predicted to go over $2.00 a gallon this spring when people start driving more for vacations.

I live on Lake Barkley in Western Kentucky, with only a mile drive to a ramp. But, gas prices have put a crimp in how I fish, I sold my ranger, and have bought a 15' deep and wide river jon with an old 18hp Evinrude. My boat is named the same as my user name on this site, which was what my late father used to say every time he caught a crappie. I have found, I am enjoying my self maybe more than ever with the memories of old time fishing trips with my dad and granddad brought back by the ole jon and evinrude. I am also catching as many fish as I ever have. Could it be the fisherman and not the equipment?

410MAN
03-10-2005, 05:32 PM
My opinion,
Gas for round trip to lake (55 miles total) $6.00
Minners (1/4 lb) $2.80
Ice & sardenies & crackers& onion $ 3.00
1/2 gallon BEER $3.00

total $14.80
goin home drinking the other 1/2 gallon
beer and cleaning those CRAPPIE "PRICELESS"
thank ya'll for your patience while i typed this.

Hac
03-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Come on folks. Who are we kidding? Gas is still cheaper than milk, pepsi, bottled water etc.

Even if your tow vehicle gets 15mpg and it is 75 miles to the lake (150 round trip), that is 10 gallons. If it jumps 25 cents overnight, you are telling me that extra $2.50 is going to hurt? If $2.50 gets ya, you were due to give up fishing very soon anyway. I burn about another 10gal in the boat. So, that is $5.oo per trip. I am not going to sweat it. That is one hamburger combo.

It ain't that bad. Gas prices have been artifically low for a long time. Don't forget that 37.5 cents per gallon is tax. And in VA you can get a 17.5 cents per gallon refund from Dept Motor Vehicals for all gas not used in a road vehicle.

Go fish.

Dayton
Thank You and very well put. The problem is gas is something everyone uses and really has no choice. You have a choice not to buy Rib Eye steak that is now 13.99lb up from 5.99 in 5 months. (WinnDixie in Bainbridge Ga.) Same can be said for 99% of consumer items. You can shop around, buy lesser quality, or choose not to purchase at all. This isnt the case with gas and diesel. One can say the reason all the prices are increasin is because gas/diesel prices are up. As you stated...what a 2.50$ increase. Gas/diesel is just an excuse used to justify increases of most consumer items. Take a truck delivering 20,000lb of ribeye. He pays 2.00 gall for diesel and gets 400 gallons. Say he pays 4.00 a gallon. Thats 1600.00 a 800.00 increase over the 2.00 mark. The steak has increased from 119800.00$ to 279,800.00$ a difference of 160,000.00. And the reason the steak price went up is because the diesel cost more?????? Sorry but I cant bite on that one. This is one example and I'm sure it can be applies to anything Ranger said. My only major concern on this subject is when and how often I can take my son fishing reguardless of the dollar amount. Memories are priceless, be it friends or family and fishing, is QUALITY time well spent.

unknown 5
03-10-2005, 07:37 PM
The problem is that we could have transportation that uses little gas. If I had a hybrid, the first thing I would do is find a way to charge those batteries without using gasoline, at least for the everyday short trips. The technolgy for this has been availible for years, they just don't want to make it availible to the public. Let's face it, do you think the oil company executives that run this country are going to do anything but see to it that the oil prices keep going up? They are getting rich and then have seen to it that they don't have to pay taxes on the profits they gouged from us. And, as things currently are, we have no choice. Just try to buy a hybrid vehicle. :rolleyes:

Crapbie
03-10-2005, 08:18 PM
You would think with the whole iraq thing the oil barrons woud have given us better deals for helping there buisness. Our president has always had one foot in oil but yet the price of oil has done nothing but go up since we elected him. Alot of texans got rich again off him although he's the reason they all lost there money in the 90's. DId you know the iterim primeminister of Afghanistan used to live in texas and was JWB's assistant for 6-7 years. Sure was surprising to me when I heard it.

papasage
03-10-2005, 08:30 PM
ford has come out with a a hybrid vehicle. yhey wer showing it on tv this morning

unknown 5
03-11-2005, 08:16 AM
We have lost over 1000 American lives and spent billions capturing the second largest oil fields in the world yet out gas prices keep going up. What is wrong with this picture?

David Waters
03-11-2005, 09:03 AM
I just upgraded from a 17' with a 90, to a 21' with a 200. Yes, gas prices will change for me. But, with the comfort and safety this boat will provide, along with the pride I have in it, well worth the money.
But, Give me a year, then I will post about this again. :)

Moose1am
03-11-2005, 11:13 AM
I wish I knew the real answer to that question. I will save that for another forum somewhere. LOL

Maybe we can discuss the political aspects of this in the off topic forums or on another forum alltogether.

But it's a good question and one that I would like answered myself.

Meanwhile I am hoping that the price of gasoline will not go over 2.00 a gallon but I fear that it's already over that now.

Wish the price of gas would drop back down. I grew up with a gallon of gas only costing me 50 cents a gallon and seeing 25 cent a gallon prices during the gas wars of the late 1960's. Guess we will never see those days again. Do any of you old guys miss driving the big 8 cylinder big block gas guzzlers? I have a Pontiac Grand Prix that sucked gas down. It's had a 383 in it and man could that car go. My neighbor had a Pontiac GTO 1968 model and I drove a pontiac Firebird 1968 model year. Those were the days of muscle cars and $0.25/gallon gasoline and they even pumped the gas and checked your oil and other fluids while they cleaned the cars windshield at the same time.

I miss the good old days.

Moose1am
03-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Fill that new boat up at the gas station before you go to the lake. If they do gas prices on the water there like they do up here in Indiana it cost much more to fill up on the lake at the marineas than it does at the gas stations. When Gas was over $2.00 per gallon last spring (spring of 2004) the cost of gasoline at Patoka Lake was around $2.70 to $3.00 per gallon at the entrance to Newton Stewart. And that was at the gas station not the marina. I was afraid to check and see what the marinas were selling gas for.

Just the other day I saw a poll where they asked people what they were doing with the higher prices of gasoline. The three options to chose were drive less, buy a more fuel effecient vehicle or close yours eyes while continuing to pump the higher priced gas into your present car. About 80% of the respondants choose to continue to pump at the higher prices while closing their eyes. And we wonder why they keep rasing the prices. When will they get to a price that we actually start to demand a reduction to the price?

I just upgraded from a 17' with a 90, to a 21' with a 200. Yes, gas prices will change for me. But, with the comfort and safety this boat will provide, along with the pride I have in it, well worth the money.
But, Give me a year, then I will post about this again. :)

KARL
03-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Fill that new boat up at the gas station before you go to the lake. If they do gas prices on the water there like they do up here in Indiana it cost much more to fill up on the lake at the marineas than it does at the gas stations. When Gas was over $2.00 per gallon last spring (spring of 2004) the cost of gasoline at Patoka Lake was around $2.70 to $3.00 per gallon at the entrance to Newton Stewart. And that was at the gas station not the marina. I was afraid to check and see what the marinas were selling gas for.

Just the other day I saw a poll where they asked people what they were doing with the higher prices of gasoline. The three options to chose were drive less, buy a more fuel effecient vehicle or close yours eyes while continuing to pump the higher priced gas into your present car. About 80% of the respondants choose to continue to pump at the higher prices while closing their eyes. And we wonder why they keep rasing the prices. When will they get to a price that we actually start to demand a reduction to the price?
...I already demanded a lower prices....I voted democrat....just not enough like me... :confused: ...people scared of the unknown...what happened to america's independent fearless pioneer spirit.....when did we turn into a herd of cowering mass being told what to do by a few rich greedy oilmen??? :mad:

Shellback
03-12-2005, 06:01 AM
The higher prices will certainly effect my fishing, most good lakes are a 4 hour round trip. Add to the fact that I have taken a job with a 50% pay cut to work close to home. In reality though, I think most folks are making a mountain out of a mole hill about the gas price increases. I bought a new Dodge pickup in 1984, it was $8,000. I'm on my 5th one since then, my last in 2002, it cost me $32,000! Oil people making a fortune on us poor folk? How about sports stars or other celebrities? People complain about paying $2.00 a gallon for gas and then go in the quick mart and buy a pint of water for $1.00 or more! How many remember back in the early 70's when we had the gas shortage? Here in PA, you were only allowed to buy gas on certain days and the lines were ridiculous! All in all, I don't like the increases, but I'll deal with them and continue to fish as best I can afford. One thing I plan to do is camp overnite and get 2 days fishing out of one drive.

chaunc
03-12-2005, 11:58 AM
I've been traveling from n/w Pa, down to the Johnathon Creek area of Kentucky Lake, every year now for 17 consecutive years. Pulled my tracker 16 ft/ 50hp merc most of them. I bought a new lund 16.5ft with a 50 honda 4 stroke last fall. Its heavier than the other boat but i'll save 75% more on gas for the boat. It will cost me almost twice as much for gas in the car to pull it down there but guess what..... I'm going anyway. I started putting money away for the trip last summer and i'll take my vacation pay with that and just go. Its 675 miles each way. Takes me 12.5 hrs to get there. I'll stay a week and relax and enjoy the fishing. With that 4 stroke i wont have to put gas in the boat till i get back home. I have 2 choices. Stay home or travel. see ya on down the road jack.

Moose1am
03-12-2005, 08:55 PM
I got my gas and electric bill today. 163 bucks for 28 days of service. 127 for electric and only about 37 for natual gas. I have been using two 1500 Watt small portable electric heaters. One behind my computer chair and the other by my lazy boy sleeper chair. LOL

We had a natual gas price hike of about 30 % so I thought it might be cheaper to heat with the electric heaters but I was wrong. Going to shut one of them off and turn the other electric heater down some. There are two settings one 1500 watts and the other 1000Watts and then fan only. I am going to try using the 1000 Watt setting and only using one heater at a time. Might turn the furnace thermostat down a bit and put on a sweater or something.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
03-12-2005, 09:30 PM
I got my gas and electric bill today. 163 bucks for 28 days of service. 127 for electric and only about 37 for natual gas. I have been using two 1500 Watt small portable electric heaters. One behind my computer chair and the other by my lazy boy sleeper chair. LOL

We had a natual gas price hike of about 30 % so I thought it might be cheaper to heat with the electric heaters but I was wrong. Going to shut one of them off and turn the other electric heater down some. There are two settings one 1500 watts and the other 1000Watts and then fan only. I am going to try using the 1000 Watt setting and only using one heater at a time. Might turn the furnace thermostat down a bit and put on a sweater or something.

Moose I just put a wood burning stove in my house. Cast Iron at 600 degrees will warm a few rooms up quick. Thermostat OFF :cool:

BeauxBeaux
03-12-2005, 09:50 PM
I can run my 40 all day on 2 gal of gas while catchng supper

Crapbie
03-12-2005, 09:55 PM
If they make a good hybrid 4wd car/truck that could pull my boat I would deffinetely give it a look. How long do you all think it will be until we start seeing hybrid outboards? It may not be worth getting for the save in gas but for the pollution levels if they ever come out.

papasage
03-12-2005, 09:55 PM
onley 55 miles to lake the price of gass dont matter that much it is the slack economey that i am worried about . all the jobs are leaving this country .no jobs to make money . i have a small buisness and i am afraid that the cheep imported stuff will do small buisness in . i am to old to change corier. when gass was 25 cent a gal. a truck cost 2000.00 now the same truck cos around 1800.00. that is the cheapest full size pickup . don`t hear any one grumbling about that . most people will pay around 30000.00 or better for a truck and another 10000.00 for a boat . . do some figuring on % wise . we need a raise but who has had one latley . papasage

unknown 5
03-13-2005, 08:00 AM
I hope to buy a new truck within the next year. I sure would like to buy a hybrid that would get 50 MPG. I think Toyota is supposed to come out with one and I know Honda has a new truck out and they do hybrid cars, maybe they have a hybrid truck. In fact, I had a Honda hybrid car pass me on the interstate yesterday and he must have been cruising at 75. I will bet he was getting twice the mileage I was in my S-10, maybe 3 times the mileage. At $2 a gallon, how many gallons of gas would have to be saved to make a new truck payment be offset with the gas money saved?

unknown 5
03-13-2005, 08:02 AM
As for hybrid outboards, all they would have to do is beef up and redesign trolling motors a little and then use portable generators. It wouldn't be that difficult.

chaunc
03-13-2005, 09:04 AM
onley 55 miles to lake the price of gass dont matter that much it is the slack economey that i am worried about . all the jobs are leaving this country .no jobs to make money . i have a small buisness and i am afraid that the cheep imported stuff will do small buisness in . i am to old to change corier. when gass was 25 cent a gal. a truck cost 2000.00 now the same truck cos around 1800.00. that is the cheapest full size pickup . don`t hear any one grumbling about that . most people will pay around 30000.00 or better for a truck and another 10000.00 for a boat . . do some figuring on % wise . we need a raise but who has had one latley . papasage
But now we have to pay for our medical insurance and they cut our work week from 6 days to 4 days. I work at a pipe plant here in Sharon Pa. They laid off over 150 employees within the last year, right after we voted on a new contract. Chinese imports are taking our jobs. I thank God that i'm still working. I'm in the top 15 in seniority at the plant. I'm just thankful they haven't closed the doors....yet.

Moose1am
03-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Depends on the price Toyota or Honda sells the new Hybrids.
Has anyone been pricing those vehicles or purchased one lately?

Having a combination electric diesel engine on a boat worked on the WWII Submarines and still works on third world submarine today. But those are boats and have water to support their heavy bulk and weights. It would be hard to have that many batteries in a small car. Now if they can develop lighter weight and more efficent batteries for automobile then that works for me.

We need to do all that we can to conserve energy as oil does not grow on trees. According to geologist it took millions of years, Time, and lot's of heat an pressure to turn decaying organic material into oil that we use today. We are using it much faster every before as the world's population of humans continues to expand at a rapid rate. Wish we could make new oil somehow or find another energy source but right now we are stuck with our current technology. We either ride a bike, walk or buy a car and use gasollne to get around.

I wonder when or at what price the American Public will start to cringe and really start acting? By acting I mean demanding more effeciet cars or lower gasoline prices or going to alternative fuel sources and vehicles that use those new fuels. What are the economics of making people change out of a gasoline powered vehicle and who controls those changes? Will the private section finally fill that new niche for us? Will the public readily switch to a new fuel or a vehicle that utilized a different fuel than gasoline? Gasoline has proven to be a reliable steady source of energy for so long.

I know that I like to try out new stuff and was quick to buy a smaller lighter more fuel effecient vehicles back in the 1970's right before the OPEC oil Embargo. I learned in school that oil was not being made over night and that it was being consumed faster than ever and that was back in 1971 though 1976. Now I wonder just how much oil there is underthe ground? We are told that it's a limited resource and I do belive that. But how much does it cost these days to locate and recover the oil that is left in the ground?

I started going fishing to forget about all that science stuff. LoL. But my fishing depends on my truck making it to the filling station more every day.

I hope to buy a new truck within the next year. I sure would like to buy a hybrid that would get 50 MPG. I think Toyota is supposed to come out with one and I know Honda has a new truck out and they do hybrid cars, maybe they have a hybrid truck. In fact, I had a Honda hybrid car pass me on the interstate yesterday and he must have been cruising at 75. I will bet he was getting twice the mileage I was in my S-10, maybe 3 times the mileage. At $2 a gallon, how many gallons of gas would have to be saved to make a new truck payment be offset with the gas money saved?

Larry-Southern Indiana
03-13-2005, 09:45 AM
When Your Dead All The Money In The World Ain't Gonna Do You No Good. All Of Our Vehichles Are Paid Off Which Helps Offset The Higher Fuel Costs For Us And We Both Have Decent Paying Jobs. What Some Are Going To Do Is Suffer More So The Rich Can Get Richer. Those People That Voted For The Dumb Sob And His Bunch That Currently Smell Up The Whitehouse Are To Blame. I Personally Don't Care What It Costs Them For Fuel They Deserve It. The Question Has Been Asked About Why We Can't Manufacture A Synthetic Product To Take The Place Of Oil. With All Of Our Technology I Don't See Why We Can't Either But I'll Give You One Guess Which Industry Will Never Let That Happen Unless They Could Control It. I've Read Articles Where Synthetic Blends Were Used By Germany During Wwii To Replace Oil. I Also Read Where The United States Government Took That Technology And Has It Locked Up Some Where. Who Knows If It's True Or Not But The Way Our Corrupt Government Operates It Wouldn't Surprise Me If It Was True. We Have The Technology To Make More Fuel Efficent Cars And Trucks But You Can Figure Out Why It Doesn't Make It To The Market. Well I'm Done For Now.

Larry

Ranger690
03-13-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't believe it makes a difference if the name is followed by a D or an R. The system is corrupt. The figure head doesn't really make that much difference. Think about how many underheaded deals have to be made to even make it that high in government.

Dayton

Larry-Southern Indiana
03-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Do You Remember What The Price Of Gas Was When Bush Took Office? Right Now It's Atleast 70 Cents Higher In Just 4 Short Years. Supply And Demand Is The Phrase The Wealthy Like To Use When Their Making Money Hand Over Fist Or Record Proffits. I Call It Something Else. When The Oil Companies Close Refineries Like They Have In The Past It's All About Making Money Not Making More Gas Which Would Drive The Price Down. The Greedy Sob's Have Created The Market We Now Live In By Their Own Actions Or Inactions. Greed Is The One Thing That Will Bring This Country To It's Knees And So Far It's Working.

Larry

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
03-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Do You Remember What The Price Of Gas Was When Bush Took Office? Right Now It's Atleast 70 Cents Higher In Just 4 Short Years. Supply And Demand Is The Phrase The Wealthy Like To Use When Their Making Money Hand Over Fist Or Record Proffits. I Call It Something Else. When The Oil Companies Close Refineries Like They Have In The Past It's All About Making Money Not Making More Gas Which Would Drive The Price Down. The Greedy Sob's Have Created The Market We Now Live In By Their Own Actions Or Inactions. Greed Is The One Thing That Will Bring This Country To It's Knees And So Far It's Working.

Larry

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it :eek:

Shellback
03-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Bush ain't the president of Canada, and their gas is much more expensive than ours, how's that? I think the local gas retailers are as big of thieves as the oil companies. How is it that the price of a barrel of oil goes up today, and they raise the price of gas at the pump immediately? That oil won't hit our shores for weeks. I've seen stations raise prices several times without them getting any gas deliveries. Probably in your own home towns you will find gas as much as a nickel or more difference per gallon. Cripes, look at the price of outboard motors if you think you are getting raped on gas. You could buy a nice new car for the price of a 200HP outboard!

kmatcek
03-14-2005, 09:17 AM
I think the local gas retailers are as big of thieves as the oil companies. How is it that the price of a barrel of oil goes up today, and they raise the price of gas at the pump immediately? That oil won't hit our shores for weeks.

We had an article in the paper a few years ago that asked that very question to several gas stations and their answer was they charged replacement cost for the fuel.
I assume that when crude oil goes down they are lowering the pump price but they paid more for it and are selling it for a loss. and when it goes up they sell it for a great profit but the next tanker will have to be paid for at a higher cost.
I have not watched the cost of crude and the pump price to see if this is true but it was their story.

whizkids
03-14-2005, 10:34 AM
I was on Lake Wylie recently when there was a bass tournament in process. I was amazed at the number of outboards in excess of 200 horsepower. Those motors require large boats Large boats and motors require poweful tow vehicles. While those with these larger rigs will experience greater fuel cost, it does not necessarily follow that they will need to decrease fishing time. Many times fuel as a percent of disposable income effects those of more limited means greater than those with the large rigs. That is unfortunate. The facts are that oil is a limited commodity and is still cheap compared to other parts of the world.
Many americans think little about paying $1.49 for a quart of bottled water ( almost $6.00 a gallon) instead of bringing a thermos of water from home.

Until this type of mind set changes governments will continue to regulate
fuel usage with price. OPEC does it with production and governments do it with taxes and regulations.
While we can complain about gas stations and oil companies the real culprit is ourselves and our dependency on petroleum related products. Those products range from the key board I am typing on to the container for the quart of water I mentioned earlier. We just can't get enough of it.
The price of oil and gas will continue to rise so that the rate of depletion of the resource remains constant. That insures those countries that have the resource will have a steady income flow until they can develop an alternative industry. They is no future for those countries to open the spigot to the oil supply.
Governments will aid in this endevour until the market place develops a reliable and affordable alternative energy source or sources. Those sources will become more affordable on a comparitive basis as the cost of fuel rises.
Oil companies and gas companies may have more fross income because they operate on a per cent mark up not a dollar mark up. The result is that a nickle increase at the production end is marked up by percentages all through the delivery chain. When we pump it into the tank that nickle has increased significantly. That may give the company more revenue but not more profit.
National Geopraphic had an excellent feature article on oil in June 2004. Below is a link to a digest of that feature. The full article is only available in the magazine as far as I know.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0406/feature5/

Now I am going fishing and coast down all hills. No the price of fuel will not impact how often or where I fish. I am retired and worked 49 years to fish in my retirement. I intend to do that. When I started fishing I paddled the boat, while I don't expect you young guys to paddle, I do expect your generation to do what is necessary so that you can afford to fish when you retire. I will do my best to educate my kids and grandkids how to help conserve limited resources so that future generations can enjoy them. I hope that through educaton everyone will realize how fragile it all is.

FIREHELMENT
08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
it has hurt my fishing alot havin to stay here close to home

Jerry Blake
08-24-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm just glad I went to a four stroke..........

CrappieLips
08-24-2005, 08:45 PM

Moose I've got a heavy fiberglass boat and a full size chey P.U. my favorite fishin hole is 160 miles round trip, my truck gets about 15 mpg. pullin the boat
$ 28.00 for gas in pu. $ 12.00 in boat $ 8.00 Bait. So it's about $ 43.00 a pop
But if it goes to $ 5.00 a gallon I'll still go. I've stopped a lot of things since the price's of everything gone up. We don't go out to eat a lot anymore,( $ 10.00 for hambugers) ( $ 25.00 for steaks) We don't drink, ( $5.50 for a six pack) ( $12.00 to $ 20.00 for liquor) We don't go out to movie's( $ 20.00 with
drink and popcorn) No sat.dish or cable tv.( $30.00 +$$$ ) We dont' do a lot OF extras, But we go on a lot of vacation's and do a lot of fishin in the spring, fall, winter. so i guess it average's out. We just cut out some things to afford others.

slabbandit
08-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Fortunately I only have to pull my boat about a 1/4 mile to the boat ramp on Lake Nimrod. If I'm going to fish the far end of the lake I'll drive about 2 miles to a closer ramp. I have a 96 Chevy truck with a V-6 that gets probably 16 to18 MPG. I hardly ever keep over a half tank of gas in it.

I bought a new 2004 Honda Civic to drive back and forth to work. I have gotten as high as 42 MPG! :)

Something all of us need to do is add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to our fuel if we're not running it out on a regular basis. The shop instructor at Qawpaw Marine Technical Institute in Hot Springs told me that as a demonstration to his students he will take two clean baby food jars and fill each with fresh gas at the beginning of each school year. One jar will only have fresh gas while the other jar has had a small amount of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer added to it. Both jars then have lids placed on them and the instructor places them on a shelf in the classroom.

He said by the end of the school year the untreated fuel has already started to gel. He said the treated fuel looks as fresh as the day it was put in the jar!

I put it in all my lawnmowers and weedeater every winter. They always fire right up each spring.

anchorpuller
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
I agree with the thought of changing priorities with the high cost of gas.
We used to ride around and look at properties lake front that were for sale, thinking we might find that perfect spot for our future retirement. Lately, we do good to keep the cars fueled for work and the necessities..which of course include fishing!
If my DH would even THINK about making me quit fishing because of the cost of gas, I'd make him get a push mower instead of a John Deere!

CrappieHead
08-25-2005, 03:07 AM
I am glad U started this thread back up. Will be interesting to see what we say now. Gas here in Missouri is $2.56 a gallon now. Everything I read and hear is it will not stop climbing for a while so look for gas at $3.00 before fall and even higher next spring.

Yes it has and will my fishing trips. The price of food is higher. But as alot of people on here know I work for a major small engine company. Our sales are flat and have been getting off on Friday's every so often this whole summer. Thank goodness we built a lot of snow blower engines in the summer. My OT has been cut to almost nothing. The bottom line is my gross pay is down. This is directly from the cost of oil being so high. That is my opinion only. Cost of food is higher.

So I sit at home wishing I could go night fishing on the weekends again. :mad:

I do have 2 fishing trips planned for this fall. The weekend of October Full moon and Thanksgiving. May got to go in last Sept., maybe.

DENNIS BOWERS
08-25-2005, 07:08 AM
2.59 here, I"m using the trolling motor more and the gas less.I try to fish closer to home instead of running 4-5 miles down the lake.Guess I can take carrying the battery to the charger easier then I take filling the boat 2-3 times a week!!Sure am glad I"ve only got a 35 horse--I dont even like to think about what it would cost me to fish out of the 125hp bass boat I had previously!!!

Wardy
08-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Don't know if it will effect my fishing.. but defitnetly effected my "riding around". It sure as heck has not effected the "ski lice" though. I only live 7 miles from the lake. I may not make my pilgramage to Kentucky Lake or Mississippi. I can't afford $10.00 crappie.

LBM
08-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Yes this has been a very interesting thread. Now I am sure re-evaluating the benefits of all my gasoline consumption activities.

At this point it is very disconcerting as to just what will actually happen now knowing the pressure the clowns in Washington will be feeling as a result of current gasoline prices and trends.

If my memory serves me right when we had the gas shortages and lines, the US had gasoline price controls/regulations in place while the European countries had no price caps on gasoline. The filling stations in Europe didnít run out of gasoline like they did in the US where price controls were in place. One could actually get some gasoline as long as you could pay the price. In the price control situation the gasoline was not there and available for purchase at any price. This just bolstered my beliefs in the Free Market concept that the unhindered and unregulated markets could best allocate goods where they were needed.

I can just imagine all the Anti Free Market ideas and forces being considered as solutions for the current gasoline prices. I see where Hawaii has passed some state legislation to affect the price of gasoline paid by consumers. Really doubt they will get the desired benefit.

As this all unfolds I expect to see more pain and turmoil as a result of these current conditions. All the personal re-evaluations required in response to these gasoline prices sure wonít be easy.

wannalearn
08-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I go less often than b4 now. :(

J White
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
At these prices, biodiesel is competitive, they just can't (yet) make enough
of it - look for that to change! As for my boat, I usually only burn about
2-3 gallons a trip, even trolling with it, normally I never kill the motor all
day, till its back on the trailer, unless I stop to play on the bank with the
kid(s). Even at 19 mpg though, the truck is starting to hurt a little. Never
though I'd see the day you could fill it up and not get much back out of
a Franklin - not that I get to fill up like I used to. Now its rake and scrape
for 1/2 a tank. If I run it low, it'll hold 30+ gallons, and the cheapest I've
found lately is $2.49 a gallon.

crappieken
08-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Today I filled up my pickup truck and paid $5 more than I paid for my first car back in 1956. At that time I gave $50 for a 1949 Nash. The oil for that car cost me more than the gas for it. I had to add a quart every 50 miles. Maybe that is why I was able to buy it for $50.

rango
08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
one good advantage we might see is the green carp guys running 250's up and down the lake in their quest for a 3 lb green carp may scale back and find a point and stick with it till quittin time. :)

J White
08-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Yep, Rango, I have noticed a big decline in the "bass racers" with their
motorcycle helmets - hardly bother me at all anymore. After one of them
ran over my marker buoy one time, I thought serious about re-spooling them
with piano wire :D Have noticed quite a few big pigs for sale around here too.
This area used to be a regular hotbed of guys running those Merc "mod"
motors that ran premium fuel and mixed 32:1, a lot of them have switched
to EFI 225's and such now. Of course it wasn't just the fuel, it was rebuilding
the powerhead and/or lower unit several times a year too. If some of you
have never been around these things, :eek: they turn 9 to 10,000 rpm -
unearthly. I rode in one, the guy wansn't real used to it yet, and it went
into a chine-walking episode at about 85 mph. No more for me! The skiers
are still bad, but if I think back real hard, not near as bad as say five years
ago. They tend to spend more time pulled up to the bank than running
circles around fishermen!

Eager Beaver
08-25-2005, 03:47 PM
I gassed the truck and boat 2 weeks ago and cost me $81.75. I get 18 mpg pulling the boat with the 2000, 2500 crew cab chevy. The boat is a 96 Spectrom 18 Sport walk- thru with a 75 Force motor on the back. Glad I don't have to gas up both today. Yesterday the price of premium gas was $2.69 and I thought I would gas up the Trailblazer before the gas went up for the week-end. I gassed up today and the price was $2.79. We get 6 cents off, if we use a Bakers card, at the station that we go to. That made it $2.73 a gallon yet. I haven't fished as much as I had been, but that is because I have been having several fish fry's for neighbors and friends. I had one 2 wks ago for about 25 people, and then one last Saturday for between 30-40 people. I am having one in a couple of weeks for about another 20 people. This is what I like to do and why I save so many fish when I go. By the time winter gets here I will just about be out of fish and will just fish for myself this winter thru the ice. Then next spring I will start saving fish for the summer fish fry's again. I use premium gas in everything I have. All the motors run a lot better with it in them, from weed wackers to boat and trucks. Just my opinion.

J White
08-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Eager Beaver, that is good mileage - just curious, what liter engine do you
have, 5.3 or 6.0 -or none of the above :) Lets just say I'm looking at new
things, wondering what else is out there. Also, what is the GVWR on your
truck? I have sort of lost track of GM, they have made a lot of new stuff
lately.

FalconSmitty
08-25-2005, 10:56 PM
I want a larger motor but I am greatful I only have a 25hp now. I have fished 3 times this week and I am still using the 6 gallons I purchased before my 3 trips last week. I think it has helped me plan my trips better. Before I leave the dock I know where and what I 'll do. I am more systematic in my approach. I believe it has helped me target the crappie better by picking my areas and covering them more thoroughly. I do some riding too, but not as much these days.

Crappie Reaper
08-26-2005, 01:02 AM
I just traded up boat and motor wise this last May. I had a great 14' Alum with a good 25hp tiller. I now have a 15.5' bass boat with a 50hp and it costs me about $12 every trip in the boat alone. Thank God the closest ramp is only 3 miles away. My favorite ramp is about a 22 mile round trip, so it's still ok for now. If it were any further, it might be cheaper to rent a slip for the boat.
I miss my old rig, but can traverse the choppy waters a quite a bit better with the one I have.
I remember the gas wars back in '73 when the station I worked for was selling for 16.9 a gallon. Sigh.....
Reaper

CrappieHead
08-26-2005, 02:49 AM
I have been thinking of following the Bass fishing trail this fall. When they all left the ramps get out my hose and fill the truck and boat up. This would help the price of my gas. If I was caught I am sure lawyers fee would be cheaper than gas is now.

papasage
08-26-2005, 05:10 AM
my luck they would all be driving desiel :(

FalconSmitty
08-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I am thinking about going to the parts store and buying a new locking gas cap for my old truck. Before now there was not much worth stealing from the 1986 truck. But with the price of gas these days it will be like the movie with Mel Gibson in it where they fought over that Gas Tanker. What was the name of that movie? Mel was driving some hot sports car and there was a guy that flew a small airplane like thing around. One of those powered glider planes if memory serves me right.

That movie is Beyond Thunderdome. I hope it doesn't come to that moose..

slabbandit
08-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Right now I'm still running the '88 model Mercury 35 that came with my boat. I get a couple trips out before I need to fill my 6 gal. tank.

Would sure like to have one of those new 40 hp. 4-strokes! :)

speediib
08-27-2005, 06:20 AM
the movie was road warrior. beyond thunderdome was the third one. the aircraft was a gyro copter. i have all 3 on vhs but it has been awhile since i have watched them

Eager Beaver
08-27-2005, 06:31 AM

Go fish.

Dayton

Guess who works for an oil company!! that kind of thinking is why Gas prices are as high as they are.

Eager Beaver
08-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Eager Beaver, that is good mileage - just curious, what liter engine do you
have, 5.3 or 6.0 -or none of the above :) Lets just say I'm looking at new
things, wondering what else is out there. Also, what is the GVWR on your
truck? I have sort of lost track of GM, they have made a lot of new stuff
lately.

J White I have the Crew Cab with the short 6 ft box on it, with the Vortec 5700 engine with an axle ratio of 3.73 (very important) that is where the gas mileage comes from. If you need power than you want 4.10 gear ratio. Great power for pulling but only 9-10 MPG, 3.93 ratio will get you about 14-15 MPG. The GVWR is 8600 lbs. on the truck. I have the towing package which is bigger radiator and extra transmition cooler. Better suspension system, and better hitch, along with better braking system. The only draw back that I have found with the truck is the turning radius. It takes 40 acres to turn it around, as the old saying goes. Still a great vehicle for pulling the boat and for long trips. If we go anywhere that is long distance we take the Truck and leave the TrailBlazer at home. Just a more comfortable ride.

Eager Beaver
08-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Yes I have 2-4wd vehicles and they don't get that bad of gas mileage for what we use them for. When I bought the truck I still worked construction and used it to get to the job sites when it rained or in the winter time to haul people and equipment to the job site until they got the driveways paved. They always start new construction in the fall and we have to work thru the rain and snow in the fall and winter getting new construction of commercial buildings started. I live in Ne. and we have Icy streets and roads thru most of the winter months here and need our 4wd SUV's. Never under stood why people in the South needed 4wd SUV's. I wouldn't have one if I didn't need one.

Ranger690
08-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Guess who works for an oil company!! that kind of thinking is why Gas prices are as high as they are.

Nope. Just a guy who doesn't worry about things I can't change. If I want to fish, or drive 60 miles to hunt, then I am going to do it. I am not saying higher prices are fun, but man, it's like talking to the barber about the weather. The same old complaining gets old.

Dayton

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
08-27-2005, 10:32 AM
That's a no for me too. The only thing that's affected my crappie fishing is 105 degree heat index.

crap-king
08-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Yes I have 2-4wd vehicles and they don't get that bad of gas mileage for what we use them for. When I bought the truck I still worked construction and used it to get to the job sites when it rained or in the winter time to haul people and equipment to the job site until they got the driveways paved. They always start new construction in the fall and we have to work thru the rain and snow in the fall and winter getting new construction of commercial buildings started. I live in Ne. and we have Icy streets and roads thru most of the winter months here and need our 4wd SUV's. Never under stood why people in the South needed 4wd SUV's. I wouldn't have one if I didn't need one.

We do get some snow and ice in the winter as well - so we do not need 4wd often - but I got it when I do need it - we use ours to get around in wet or muddy areas as well - 4wd works great on some of our steep ramps when we need a little help from the front wheels that might be on a dry surface - we are not on flat land like in the midwest plains area - that is the biggest reason we have 4wd

J White
08-28-2005, 08:26 AM
I haven't hunted much in years, a whole 'nuther story why, but a lot
around here still use 4wd quite a bit, even if it is just getting in and out
of the parking places where they unload their ATV's - Where I miss
4wd is once or twice a year when we take calves to market, sometimes
have to get a boost from the tractor to get out from the catch pen -
I used to run so many highway miles, I couldn't justify having it just for
that - now I only have a 12 mile drive to work, so if I do ever trade,
4wd may be in the plans. One thing I could REALLY use is one with one
of those "2 Low" kits where you can use low range in 2wd - would be
great in some campgrounds to have low range to manuever the camper.

Crappiefanatic
08-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Im saving by going and instead of driving back ( 160 miles round trip) staying for a couple days at a time.

Ranger690
08-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Okay, I try to always be positive. So, I give. I am positive, that if gas goes to $4, it will curb me some.

Dayton

Ranger690
08-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Um....feel free to quote me. :rolleyes:

fishingpox
08-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Rebel,heck we don't have the stomach for the war in Iraq. Bush needs to do what Nixon did in the 70's. Put price caps on the gas. And tell all those illegal aliens that their check has just been confiscated and is on it's way to the Gulf region, we have out on to take care of.

You may soon have to cut back a little

Check out this link that I just copied from the CNN web site.

Four Dollars a gallon gas is what they are predicting ... SOON!.

I guess as long as we don't squeel loudly they will just keep jacking up the prices until we rebel.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news/gas_prices/index.htm?cnn=yes

KARL
08-31-2005, 09:02 PM
You may soon have to cut back a little

Check out this link that I just copied from the CNN web site.

Four Dollars a gallon gas is what they are predicting ... SOON!.

I guess as long as we don't squeel loudly they will just keep jacking up the prices until we rebel.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/31/news/gas_prices/index.htm?cnn=yes
....he squealed...I'm tired of being porked.... :mad: ...

..we got no choice...oil companies bought up/out all competition....only hope is "W" and we know what side he's on...... :rolleyes:

CrappieHead
09-01-2005, 01:37 AM
If gas does hit five dollar a gallon, what then. Will the American people behind having troops in the Middle East? Will they want to take over all the middle east oil fields. We have the troops in the area now.

I was never for this war in the first place but I have been behind your troops 100%. Gave them everything they need plus some till they are home safe.

But if gas hitts $5.oo a gallon let use them troops to the best interest of America.

CrappieHead
09-01-2005, 01:43 AM
If gas hits $5.00 a gallon wonder what I could get for my boat this time of the year. Sure will not be able to go fishing so why have the payment and the insurance.

Will I be the only one thinking this?

ShilohRed
09-01-2005, 07:16 AM
I will still fish. but may have to stay near the water, And not drive back and forth.
Bad thing we bought a new truck camper last month. And pick it up Tuesday. So leaving tomorrow on a 2500 mile round trip to pick it up Tuesday.
WE are making a vacation out of it. but sure is going to cost a arm and a leg to get it.

But looking on the bright side, I can just camp on reel Foot this winter and save on gas. Would not burn a tank of gas all winter while there fishing.
It would take $66 to make the trip. So would have to stay a week to fish.
Man that is high to travel 125 miles one way. But that would be hauling a 3000 lb camper and towing the boat.

Regular gas here yesterday raised from $2.49 to $3.00 per gallon. Diesel was $2.54 sure glad that I'm about ready to start making my Bio-Diesel. It will be half of diesel or less.
Pete

Tarpon
09-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm at NC State in Raleigh. Last night me and my cousin went to get gas and 2 stations were sold out of regular. The other stations looked like parking lots. Regular here is 3 dollars and rising. Now they say there either gonna cut gas off to NC completely or reduce it to 25% of the supply we usually get.

Tarpon
09-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Just saw some gas stations in charrlotte selling gas for 5.87!!!

Mopar Matt
09-01-2005, 11:26 AM
There has been a $50 max purchase put on gas stations here in NC. It took two stops, but I filled up this morning for $2.85 in Wilkesboro. The higher prices will hurt a little more, but won't change any of my plans. They have paying $5+ in Europe for years now, I knew it would eventually get to us too.

slabbandit
09-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I paided $2.79 a gal. yesterday to fill up my car in town. When I got home yesterday afternoon I noticed that the local baitshop by my house still had it for $2.69 gal.

I thought why are they cheaper than the big gas stations as the bait shop only buys 500 gallons at a time. Then I remembered that the lady at the baitshop's husband has a day job now. She was waiting on him to get there to raise the price.

As soon as I pulled into the house I pulled my boat over there and filled my tank. Sure enough, the next morning it was at $3.00 a gallon!

I may have to hang up trolling Bandits for a while and get back to jigging brushpiles.

J White
09-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Me too Slabbandit - I used to laugh that I could troll all day on 2-3 gallons,
but even that is a chunk of change now. May start using the electric
on calm days again, for sure.

Mopar Matt
09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
A little off topic but just for kicks, I have been mowing my yard for several years now with a 48" simplicity riding mower. Takes a little under 3.5 gallons
(its a good sized yard). At $3 a gallon and mowing 39 times (average) it would have cost $409 a year just to mow the yard. However, a local farmer gave up raising tobacco this year and I picked up his 1710 Ford tractor at a good price, then bought a 72" finish mower. Now I can mow the yard on only a gallon of diesel saving me $292 a year and it takes an hour less to mow (more fishing time).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Jar133/My%20other%20toys/DSC00259.jpg

My unreasonably large yard (6 acres) but it is in a horseshoe bend of the river.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Jar133/My%20other%20toys/DSC00264.jpg

J White
09-02-2005, 11:38 AM
you lucky rascal, you :D I would love to live next to a river or lake.
On the family farm now though, and with parents and in-laws not getting
any younger, don't see moving any time soon. My wife does all the yard
mowing round my place, seems she doesn't like the way I blow grass all
over everything, or wait till it really needs cutting - I told her, I will not
mow grass when it is so short I can't easily see where I have been or have
not :) Been trying for years to get her to spring for a small tractor though,
and she won't listen - but since her mower has started throwing the drive
belt off everytime you push in the clutch, maybe she'll start to be more
receptive to the idea.

lovetofish
09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
I told my boss today that if gas went to $4 - $5 dollars a gallon that I was staying home home. I drive 80 miles a day round trip. Not as many as some though. It's getting harder and harder. Quess, if that happens I can go fishing more since I only live a mile from the lake. Can find part time job to by boat gas and eat fish everyday. Sounds pretty good to me. Don't think the wife would like to much though. Bought gas for my truck at $3.10 per gl. and filled her truck(diesel) at $3.15 per gl yesterday. Hear fuel is going up,up and up. Hang own for the ride. :mad: :mad: :( :(

Mopar Matt
09-02-2005, 02:32 PM
you lucky rascal, you :D I would love to live next to a river or lake.
On the family farm now though, and with parents and in-laws not getting
any younger, don't see moving any time soon. My wife does all the yard
mowing round my place, seems she doesn't like the way I blow grass all
over everything, or wait till it really needs cutting - I told her, I will not
mow grass when it is so short I can't easily see where I have been or have
not :) Been trying for years to get her to spring for a small tractor though,
and she won't listen - but since her mower has started throwing the drive
belt off everytime you push in the clutch, maybe she'll start to be more
receptive to the idea.

I do enjoy the river, we have several nice smallmouth holes within a few minutes ride. The only downfall is when we have a flood, the house is well away from the water, but roads are not. As for the lawn mowing, I honestly didn't think that a decent sized tractor pulling a six foot deck would save me any money. I really got it to save on time, mowing 6' wide at 10mph covers a lot of ground. But it honestly uses a third of the fuel that my little riding mower used. Maybe you can factor in the fuel savings with your next tractor debate! :D

Meat on the Table
09-02-2005, 04:08 PM
There has been a $50 max purchase put on gas stations here in NC. It took two stops, but I filled up this morning for $2.85 in Wilkesboro. The higher prices will hurt a little more, but won't change any of my plans. They have paying $5+ in Europe for years now, I knew it would eventually get to us too.
I have always been under the impression that the price of gas in Europe was driven so high by the taxes, approximatley half the purchase price in taxes.

crowderj
09-02-2005, 10:38 PM
i wish i was in missouri.. d**n, $1.84. are you kidding. i wish it was close to that here. try $3.50 a gallon. im movin.

crowderj
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
oops that was in may... sorry!!

gcromer
09-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Paid $3.30 tonight and the first 4 stations that I went to were out of gas... Brings back memories of the 1970's
Gerald K4NHN

KARL
09-02-2005, 11:16 PM
i wish i was in missouri.. damn, $1.84. are you kidding. i wish it was close to that here. try $3.50 a gallon. im movin.

...that's the plan....they gonna raise prices so higggghhhhh that you will be happy to pay $2.......that's what most folks was complaining about gas over $2.............I say $1-$1.50 max :rolleyes:

CrappieHead
09-03-2005, 01:52 AM
...that's the plan....they gonna raise prices so higggghhhhh that you will be happy to pay $2.......that's what most folks was complaining about gas over $2.............I say $1-$1.50 max :rolleyes:

Paid $3.15 here in Rolla, Missouri today for gas. Cost me $50 for a half tank of gas.

kunes
09-03-2005, 12:56 PM
It's 2:30 pm on a holiday weekend Saturday and there ain't NObody fishin. So far I've seen one boat with a trolling motor on the front. I took a little spin and not one basser workin the shoreline. Usually by now there'd been a dozen or more boats workin this little cove by my house. It's a shame kinda cause I been watchin school after school of bass come thru here harrassing the little brim in the shallows. It's kinda interesting to watch. A school of 6 or so bass--all exactly the same size-- will come thru. Once in a while they'll show packlike hunting skills. They'll form a semi circle facing the bank and a trap a bunch of brim in the shallows. Then a couipla bass will charge into the brim and scatter em towards their waiting buddies. No wonder the brim gotta spawn so often.

Not as many pleasure boaters as usual either. I think most the ones out on the water are people who live on the water.

Eager Beaver
09-03-2005, 02:08 PM
The price here for Premium is $3.34.9 they have gotten sneaky about it now and aren't putting the 4 on there sign posts now $3.3-.9 is how they are posting price now.

Pooch
09-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Try going day to day with out any or very little gas available. People in large areas down here would gladly pay $3.50 or more for gas if they could find it.---Pooch

papasage
09-04-2005, 08:25 AM
our gass was 2.88 yesterday

hawkman
09-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Yesterday morning the store where I buy my gas was out of everything but premium ($3.29) & diesel. Today their sign says "closed until gas shipment arrives." This was Daddy Rabbits Tackle Shop on one of the main routes to the lake. I would ride down to the lake to see what the situation is there but don't want to waste the gas. I might have to get a part time job to buy gas to get to my regular job!

Mopar Matt
09-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Fished Kerr Scott yesterday morning, it was pretty much empty (then again I should have been in church too) until about 1:00 then like a swarm of bees, here they came. You can still buy gas under $3 around here. I filled up again this morning for $2.85.

David Waters
09-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Today at noon on Pickwick Lake, I counted 14 huge houseboat/pleasure/yacht boats one after another coming out of the Harbor. There was plenty of traffic today where I was. Hasn't slowed anyone down around Florence and Muscle Shoals, or Iuka for that matter.

crappieken
09-05-2005, 02:23 PM
David - If you can afford a huge houseboat, big pleasure craft, or yacht you probably don't have to worry about the price of gas. My son has a friend who owns a big pleasure boat and big truck. He plans on taking it over to the Illinois river this weekend. He told my son it cost him $500 to fill up the boat and the truck.

slabbandit
09-05-2005, 04:17 PM
I was talking to a friend at work the other night as we were coming out of the building to go home. We have had parking lot thefts from time to time over the years. Mostly batteries, things out of the vehicles, and stuff like that.

I told my friend I wouldn't be surprized if we didn't start seeing gas being stolen out of our vehicles while we were working. I told him that I got a sales add from a local tool store and they were advertising a siphon hose with a bulb pump in the middle!

Can't have a gas theif getting gas in their mouth now can we!!! :rolleyes:

My buddy said now might be a good time to invest in a company that makes locking gas caps!