Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing reports look BLAH, I'm still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing reports look BLAH, I'm still going.

Well, all the fishing reports look pretty weak but I'm still going tomorrow morning. Still undecided 100% on where I'm going but I think I'll go to LaCygne net some shad and try to hit some catfish and whites/wipers. I've never had any luck catching crappie out there but I'll give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Duck season is starting so fishing takes a back seat. I'll still get the boat out on sunny, no wind, poor hunting days.

Post Thanks / Like

Got on the water at 8 am. Found shad right away. While netting for shad, I caught 2 crappie so I figured I'd go cat-fishing first and come back for some crappie later. I think I should have started trying to hit the crappie earlier in the morning. Caught about 15 catfish total. Kept 8 of the bigger ones as there were some pretty small ones. I didn't have a scale but 2-3 pounds was the bigger one and most of the others were about a pound. I didn't want to bring the catfish home so at the boat ramp, I saw an older couple that said they didn't catch any fish so I asked if they wanted the catfish. They were happy so I gave them all the cat fish. For me LaCygne I can never catch crappie there before but today I managed to get 3 keepers at 3-4 pm. There is 1-2" shad everywhere. Overall fishing was pretty slow. There were a decent amount of boats out and most didn't seem like they caught much. Lots of bank fishermen and they didn't get much also. Of everyone I came across, only 1 other person caught crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, anyone else not able to hit enter in the reply box to separate paragraphs? This is the only forum I can't use the enter button???

Post Thanks / Like

Usually this time of year from what I have found if you catch one there is allot more either there or nearby. Thinking you should have tried a vertical presentation right were you netted the shad. The crappie tend to school up in big numbers this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

I was jigging for crappie. But no takers on the vertical presentation. So I keep casting near the shore line with a slow retrieve. If I had minnows or was able to net smaller shad I think I could have tried those. I put the smallest shad I had about 5 feet down on a rod holder over the side of the boat as I was moving around but only hit a small catfish. Still had a good time great weather.