Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Tuscaloosa help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Tuscaloosa help

Heys guys. Im a new member and would like any advice you can give. Ive been fishing the Tombigbee river all my life but i would like to be able to find some crappie in Lake Tuscaloosa since its only minutes from my house instead of an hour drive to the river. I know there are fish in the lake because i have talked to several fisherman and have also seen some of their catches. But im having trouble locating the crappie.
    The lake in a reservoir for drinking water for the city of Tuscaloosa. North River feeds the lake. The basin was clear cut and has no structure except for what people have placed or what may have washed in since it was dammed. There are large areas of flats with water 5-15 feet deep as well as several areas where sheer rock walls form the shoreline with water 20-30 feet deep right next to the bank. Of course there is also the old river channel that winds the length of the lake. The shoreline is also dotted with hundreds of boat docks.
    So my question is now that its the fall and water temps are falling where would be the prime spots to look for crappie? I have a HB 898 SI sonar to help me in my search. Ive always fished in a river so im kind of clueless on getting started in the lake.

Thanks for your help!
    DKoontz24

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You've got SI ... so I'd make good use of it !!

Look for the Shad !! Find them & you'll have an idea of where the Crappie should be.

Shoot the docks !! Find the deep water docks (>15fow) and work those over.

Look for slides & pockets in the rock cliffs, and scan them for any cover that may be present. Also look for Shad schools to be working their way along the cliffs, either coming into or out of any creeks/coves that come off these cliffs. The Crappie can be following the Shad, or they could be lying in wait for them. Never pass up a chance to work alongside bridge pillars, either. You may even want to check out this article : Crappie Pappy Article

Post the same questions on the Ala. state forum ... and hook up with, or partner up with some of the members that fish the lake. As I understand it, the lake is pretty clear & infertile ... making it a less than quality fishery. Supposedly, the upper end is not as clear & may offer better Crappie fishing.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Posted in Alabama forum also so maybe will get some replies from the locals.