Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Hands?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold Hands?

Hey guys I could use a little advice? My uncle fishes with me most of the time and he has had surgery on hands and his hands stay cold! He struggles all winter and it has gotten worse. He gets to the point he just can't function and will sit down in the boat with hand warmers trying to get his hands warmed up. I have thought about buying a mr. heater or something to sit up front while spider rigging that he could heat his hands with? I figured I would ask here and see if any of you have done been down this road and found what works best? I have bought several different gloves and keep the body warmers in boat for him but he has got to have something a little warmer! He is like my dad and I just cant stand the thought of him not going with me this winter! Thanks for any advice!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a hand warmer made by zippo. They sell them on Amazon. Once filled with lighter fluid they will stay warm for about 12 hrs. I also have put a Mr.Buddy heater in the boat as you mentioned and it works good as well, but the zippo hand warmer can be slid one in each mitten or placed in a pouch that snaps around the waist that you can place both hand in, I use it this way when deer hunting. Look up zippo hand warmer on Amazon, it's a great product IMO. Good luck
    YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS...BUT YOU CAN BUY FISHING GEAR.....AND THAT'S KINDA THE SAME THING.....
    Unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

when it gets really cold I use the little catalic heater that takes one of the little one pound propane bottles, and with jersey gloves on just lay them close to the top of it and warms hands right up and I can get about 16 hours out of one of the bottles and they are about $3.?? at wally.......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

MePreach, I fight the same thing. I now have one of those hand warmers like the football players use. It goes around your waist. It has a pocket for hand warmers. I put a couple in that and a couple just loose. Now I don't even wear gloves because none I found work for me. Just keep hands in the warmer unless doing something with poles. I'll preface that by saying all I do in winter is spider rigg. Mr Buddy works good but I have found that when my hands get really cold it hurts almost as bad to warm them over the heater. Nothing more miserable than being that cold. Good luck in figuring out something that will work for him. Keep him fishing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

How in the world are you guys in Alabama and Miss. getting cold?

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smally View Post
    How in the world are you guys in Alabama and Miss. getting cold?
    Was wondering the same thing. What's considered cold down there? 45*

Post Thanks / Like

The same way yall get hot when its 85 and 100% humidity, cake walk for us but yall melt and go home!!! All relative
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I can't argue with that cause you are 100% correct. I hate anything above 80 deg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    when it gets really cold I use the little catalic heater that takes one of the little one pound propane bottles, and with jersey gloves on just lay them close to the top of it and warms hands right up and I can get about 16 hours out of one of the bottles and they are about $3.?? at wally.......
    +1 - mine is a coleman and has a "cup holder" that the bottle fits in. I think it was made for a golf cart but I pit mine in a piece of PVC pipe that I zip-tied inside an old milk crate.

Cold here is when you have to dip your rod into the water to get the ice out of the eyelets.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the disposable hand warmers taped or tucked so they stay on the bottom side of your wrist right at the base of your hand. This warms your hand without interfering with your fishing. I tuck them under the sleeves of my jacket or under the wristband of my gloves sometimes, but if you are casting it takes a little more to hold them in place.

The reason your hands get cold is your body tries to conserve heat and restricts blood going to your hands. The warmer keeps the blood flowing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast