Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpal tunnel or wrist problems require a balanced rod - how to insure it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carpal tunnel or wrist problems require a balanced rod - how to insure it.

In Nov. I'm having wrist surgery for carpal tunnel, long overdue for twenty years. One thing I found that helps to alleviate the symptom somewhat is to make sure my rods are balanced with or without lures hanging. If you can balance a rod on the tip of your finger (no lure), at least your wrist functions more as a fulcrum and not constantly having to keep the full weight of the rod blank upward. The wheel weight attached with Duck tape pictured at the end of the handle, helps a great deal and adds nothing to what your finger grip must maintain.

The best rods made probably have balance and lightness, but the older cheaper rods do not and stress the muscle attached to the wrist and elbow by constantly flexing it and holding it flexed. Tennis elbow is also exacerbated by an unbalanced rod. I've used the method for years and thought some of you might want to try it. Garages chuck wheel weights out all the time, usually giving them away.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 10-21-2013 at 09:19 AM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have neither one of those conditions, but still balance ALL my outfits that will be "held in hand" as a primary method of use.
    I prefer the balance point to be the front end edge of the handle, even if that means putting a larger/heavier reel on.

I've even known people that have bought plastic caps (meant for use on alum. chair legs) that would fit over the end of the rod handle, and place coins or metal "blanks/slugs" inside the caps as counter balance weights .... as a cheap alternative to the commercially available "kits".

My two BnM/Duckworth Float n Fly rods have the counter balance weight system built in ... and due to having two different weight reels on them, one uses all of the cb weights, while the other uses one less. Both are very comfortable to use, even for long periods of time, casting jigs or slip float rigs.

You bring up a very good point, Spoonminnow !! And that's the very reason why it's recommended that your rod/reel outfits need to be balanced, so as not to wear on your wrist/elbow or arm muscles ... creating or exacerbating painful conditions that may hinder or end your fishing.

... cp

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've mentioned here I have numbness issues with my hands that prevent me from holding a rod for any length of time. Carpal tunnel surgery on both my hands had little to no long-term effect on that. Mine comes from a severe neck injury and having 3 cervical discs fused. I can see where balancing one's rods could help for some periods of time.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoon, thats a great idea. I do not have any of the aforementioned problems but will probably give that a shot just for endurance. Good write up...again. You know.....I'm sure something similar is made...but like Pappy said about the little rubber ends...if you molded a little rubber end with a slot and cover that would hold varying sizes of wheel weights...and could be changed easily and quickly...you could probably market that.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some easier to take your rod or reel with you when you go to buy the complimenting component. I have taken reels from store stock and tried them on a given rod to find that the combo was a pig and I had to start all over. I have several sweetheart combos, went over the side head first to rescue one this summer. Keeping the muscles in use causes fatigue even to the strong and healthy, which causes folks to rest on something or become distracted and missing the subtle ticks that indicate a light bite. One of my best pair of rods are BnM BGJP in 8' with Shimano Slade model 2000 series reels. The hand in front of the reel base gives a direct contact with the reel seat and perfectly balances the combo. I've held them for hours comfortably, and they don't break the bank. Good luck working this out, hope I helped some, and remember to be patient. Good things take time.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who has also had a major neck injury. I would like to say Thank you to all that have posted here. I will have to try this out. One top of having several disk in my neck that are "fried", I also have carpal and ulner tunnel in both hands. Happy , happy, joy, joy. LOL Thanks again for posting this great information. I will be checking my rods out to make sure they are all balanced properly.

Bobo
    Last edited by Bobo Greybeard; 10-21-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I added rod holders.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tennis elbow stopped me from bass fishing. Couldn't hold a rod in my left hand. Lost a couple when fish would strike. That's when I got serious about Crappie fishing ( not a bad thing ). I have all my casting rods balanced with the chair leg caps Pappy was talking about. Found some longer ones and put slugs and washers in them. Then when installed on butt of rod wrapped them good with electrical tape. Scrapper you need to take a rod you fish with a lot, spend some time getting it balanced. You won't believe how much better you can cast or hold on to it with out being fatigued.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bobo. I always enjoy sharing discoveries and learning from the great guys on crappie.com. Some things in life ARE free!

The other thing the surgeon pointed out after doing a thumb strength test is that unless the operation was done (and eventually also on the other hand), my thumb muscle would atrophy and get weaker and weaker.
    The operation will supposedly allow nerves to increase in number and maintain finger strength.

I don't know if any of you have heard of the trigger finger symptom. As was explained, the tendon that controls finger grip and release, passes through what is comparable to the guides on our rods. If the guide gets too thick, it rubs on the tendon in a spot causing it to enlarge so that the tendon can't go back in position, causing a painful flex - locking of the finger involved that can only be released by the other hand. It wakes me up at night.

The operation for that (on the same wrist) will be done at the same time. Doctors call it a nodule (you can feel it at the base of the finger in the palm) and once it becomes inflamed, an injection into the tendonous swelling may help if caught early on. It's too late for me and no longer an option.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no longer in the balancing camp. I used to "balance" all my rods, especially bass rods. However, I found that as soon as you change rod position, or lure location, the rod is no longer in balance. For rods that were constantly moving such as jerkbaits or walk the dog, I was having wrist and elbow issues. Now days I just go with the lighter weight rod and reel and my pain is greatly reduced. I now do the same with crappie rods, lighter is easier for me to hold (even tip heavy), than heavier but balanced, especially when making lots of cast. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast