Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Livewell Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Livewell Help

I want to add a live well to my 1860 Tracker. I have up to 50" in width and 12-13 inches in height. I mostly Crappie fish, but do like to Catfish, and might even try a Bass Tournement. What size should livewell be, and where can I get one. I will be able to make enclouser and will make a storage box on side.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Buckie, they aren't free but there is a company that makes them, including storage to your order. The ones I saw were made like extensions of the back seat forward from side to side. Google live well and you'll have to look some but it's worth the look if just for the ideas. Good luck with it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks skeetbum. I have put some of that paint to use, also.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it have to be a permanent fixture?? I know there are several makers of good portable ones.

If it needed to be permanent, I really like the ones that are centered in the boat with a cushion on it. Like a stick steer boat setup.

We have a thread in the mechanics forum with quite a few livewell projects...here is the link.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/mecha...ideas-diy.html
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Shingle creek makes a livewell unit designed for jon boats called a taho rig. It is designed to hang on the sides of a jon boat, but I rigged one using battery tiedown straps on the floor. If you get a long aerator hose you can put the pump over board to fill and empty. It costs about $200, but it is all you need. It also has a small storage compartment on top and can serve as an extra seat if you don't weigh too much. It is well constructed and heavy duty heavy plastic. I was able to google it by searching boating livewells.
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

I want a permanent one. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will show my setup. I already have a deck extention, that has 3 Batteries and charger in it, and rod box on one side made out of heavy aluminum. Plan on adding this behind that and making a storage box down other side. Boat has a tiller.

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is.Name:  Boat.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  53.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Sharp setup. I'd like to see you start a thread on this in our boat rigging forum! I really like the spot between deck and box on far side. You would have enough room to have livewell and storage box there. I would make a box similar to the rod box...then for the livewell build a solid box and insulate with spray foam between the two boxes. This will keep the water cooler and allow your fish to survive alot longer. You could cycle the water through from the side of the hull with a couple fittings and aerator. Put the livewell towards the front next to the deck and storage behind that. LOVE the boat! Great job!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

Scrapper, that is pretty much what I was thinking, but don't really know what size to make livewell. The space along the side is wasted at an angleanyway. I will probably get rid of that small storage box in bottom right side and bring new one al the way to the back. I can go as wide as 48 inches for a livewell in the front, but that will be alot of water. Thinking of 36" x 13" high x 14". Completly full that would be about 28 gallons. Wish I could make one out of plywood and coat inside, but might have to go with Customlivewells, there stuff looked great.

Post Thanks / Like

You could use plywood. Just do some coats of thinned polyester resin. Then put some coats of fiberglass around it all. Then coat the inside with some type of good slick paint or even rhino lining. The cool thing about wood is you can do anything you want easily...if you mess up its not nearly as expensive to start over.

Now I think your right...you'll have to watch the weight. 28 gallons will be around 224lbs when full. Being on the side would be okay if you had some type of ballast on the other. Maybe your batteries and fuel on the oposite side.

I love this kind of stuff. You could build the livewell out of wood and fiberglass...then set it in and wrap it all in aluminum to match the rest.

Sweet ride...show us some more pics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast