Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nolin Lake Crappie

Powerbuilt Guest

Default Nolin Lake Crappie

I was wanting to start fishing Crappie on Nolin. I can't figure out though.

I can fish every stump north of Wax and get maybe one or two. I know guys are limiting out some days and I consider myself an experienced crappie fisherman with a nice rig. I can fish spider or just flipping stumps and brush piles. I mostly fish minnows. Any advice on locations to try and how to fish for them?

I must have hit every stump north of Wax for the past three weeks and have not produced any. When it was flooded bad two weeks ago I actually did pretty good. Caught 20, but only 12 Keepers. Most days though it's three keepers max.

I did though manage to snap a good spider cast rod. I was fishing a brush pile and my normal rig is 15 pound spiderwire. I use number 2 Aberdeen hooks and the spiderwire lets me pull the hook strait when fishing heavy cover. Unfortunately a 12 pound Cat found its way to my minnow. I thought I was hung and slowly pulled him up. That's when he saw light and down back down. I had the drag turned all the way up to pull out snags and pop.. There went the rod.

Funny thing is I snapped two rods Striper fishing Cumberland three weeks ago. I run planerboards and ballon rigs. PIC ATTACHED..

I live next to Taylorsville Lake in Louisville, but the fishing there is poor at best. To much fishing pressure on that lake. Looking forward to a late October fishing trip to Weiss Lake in Alabama.

Any advice would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Powerbuilt; 10-12-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default taylorsville

hey powerbuilt, you are right! i fished taylorsville last night, i know after that front my chances were not great but that lake has really turned me off, i know im not the best crappie fisherman but that lake is tough, i was thinking of trying wiess lake i have heard great things about it, let us know how you do. question have you ever tried crappie on lake cumberland?
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

Powerbuilt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crappie52
    hey powerbuilt, you are right! i fished taylorsville last night, i know after that front my chances were not great but that lake has really turned me off, i know im not the best crappie fisherman but that lake is tough, i was thinking of trying wiess lake i have heard great things about it, let us know how you do. question have you ever tried crappie on lake cumberland?
    No I have not. Tomorrow I'm going out with a GPS to Nolin. I'll hit the lake at sunup and look for brush piles south of Wax. I'll be moving quick and seeing what I can find.

You live up here in Louisville? If your not a psyco, I could always use a fishing partner as much as I go.. All you go to do is show up, I have a great boat and plenty of equipment. I just go too often for most to so I have to go alone somtimes. That and not to many know how to dress for the weather.

Your right though. Taylorsville as far as I know is only good for talking the kids fishing. I caught a 5 pound cat out there a month ago but that was after fishing most of the night with big slip bobbers with glow sticks mounted on them.

Post Thanks / Like

i live in frankfort, but would love to go sometime, i am always trying to learn what i can from who i can plus i just love to fish. send me an e-mail sometime, i check them everyday. thanks bud.
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

Powerbuilt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crappie52
    i live in frankfort, but would love to go sometime, i am always trying to learn what i can from who i can plus i just love to fish. send me an e-mail sometime, i check them everyday. thanks bud.
    Didn't do incredibly well. I think it's because they are dropping the lake lever. I caught two within the forst 5 minutes and then not a bite the rest of the day. One was probably clocse to the biggest crappie I have ever caught, but a very slow day and a little chilli as well.

Anyone else go out this weekend? At Nolin the shad were on the surface in swarms a lot more then usuall.

Post Thanks / Like

We fished on Tuesday and Wednesday up in rock creek and on the main lake and it was tough. We caught 15 keepers and alot of short fish, with our biggest being almost 14 inches. Didn't see anyone catching alot of fish. Don't know if I'll get back out for awhile with deer season cranking up. They are only pulling it about 1 or 2 inches per day right now.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Powerbuilt ....

Quote Originally Posted by Powerbuilt

I live next to Taylorsville Lake in Louisville, but the fishing there is poor at best. To much fishing pressure on that lake. Looking forward to a late October fishing trip to Weiss Lake in Alabama.

Any advice would be great.
    Can't help you on Nolin ... but, Taylorsville, maybe. You really can't expect all that much from T-ville, though. It's small, floods alot, is heavily fished, and the size/creel limit should be a good indicator of what is the "best" you can expect ... 15fish/9" minimum length. But, there are good fish in there. I find that casting a 1/16oz weedless jighead & plastic tube body, into blowdown trees, with the tops sticking out into depths greater than 12ft deep, and on shaded banks .... is the most productive way to catch'em. At least, that's been my most productive method.

If you're going to Weiss ... check out my post, on the main board, about my trip there last weekend. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=26773 ............ luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I will be going tomorrow to check out nolin so wish me luck

Powerbuilt Guest

Fishing there has been bad past two weekends dude. I'll get hits first half hour (Maybe one or two crappies fishing with minnows at 6 feet. Then not a single bite the rest of the ay. Just got back from Weiss Lake Alabama today. The rain switched them off two. Ran 6 rod spider rig at bay springs right off the channel at 12 feet. Nada. There were 6 other boats running the same rig and they said the long rain Friday turned em off. Did catch some big cats though. I attached the pics of the cats I caught.
    Attached Images Attached Images