Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Odd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Odd

Taking the reels off my rods today and noticed my 4 10ft jig poles were not the same length. The two Sam Heatons were 10ft. One of my Bucks graphite was an 1.5 inches shorter and the other was 3.5 inches shorter. I purchased them new in Lake Wales Fl. so they had not had the tips replaced. The Bucks work very good for slip bobber fishing in the spring but I am going to look for something 10ft with spinning rod eyelets while in Florida. Jerry Blake mentioned Pflueger made one and BPS has a float n fly 10ft. I like the 10ft. length. Makes a nice easy cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Check with 1weezer. He is selling all his rods for $25. I just bought 4. I've heard they a great rods.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to crappie fishing and I am looking for a good slip bobber set up.
    Could someone post a pic? I confused on what stops the bobber on the line.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by exit 84
    I'm new to crappie fishing and I am looking for a good slip bobber set up.
    Could someone post a pic? I confused on what stops the bobber on the line.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

can't help you with a pic but if you do a search for it you will probably find one one here somewhere. You can buy several different types of set ups. I like using a "bobber stopper". nothing more than a very small piece of plastic
    threaded on the line that will go through the eye of your pole. There is a plastic bead between it and the bobber. Someone on here very recently said they just tie a piece of rubberband on the line at the desired depth and snip off the tag ends. A good idea that I'm going to try.
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of half hitches with a rubberband will work perfectly if you don't go much deeper than the pole's length. You can still adjust the rubberband up and down the line, as long as it isn't brittle from dry-rotting.

You can also use simple fishing line in the same manner as the rubberband. This will go through the eyelets of the pole much easier, so they are better if you are casting and/or fishing deeper than the pole's length.

Many slip floats today have an a little plastic insert in the end. If your float has one of these, then the little bead isn't really needed. The bead is only needed in case the rubberband or fishing line get "stuck" inside the float.

Post Thanks / Like

check your pm exit 84
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Dental floss works and dont hang it eyelets as bad.

Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I use Thill Bobber Stops - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=56368, which are a pre-tied nail knot on a tube that you slide over your line and Thill 1/2-inch Pencil Floats - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=37730

These slip floats have a small enough hole that you don't need to use the bead that comes with the float.

Here are a couple tips on using these stops and floats:

After putting the bobber stop on your line and snugging it up, put a tight half-hitch knot in each of the tag ends about 1/2-inch from the nail knot and then trim the excess string off just past these knots. This will keep the tag ends from unraveling and also give you better grip when you want to tighten the bobber stopper. Also, don't tighten the stopper knot too tight or it will be hard to move to change depth. Get it just tight enough to keep from moving when reeling in a fish. It’s also a good idea to moisten the knot before sliding it up or down your line to make it easier to move and to keep it from getting hot.

You can bevel the hole in the top of the slip float by rotating in on the tip of a knife or scissors, which will allow the line to slide through the slip-float a bit easier and the line will be less likely to cut a groove in the top of the float.

Even using these stops and floats nearly every day and continually adjusting our depth the floats last about 6-months and the bobber stoppers last a couple months rigged up this way.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com