Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reels for longline trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default reels for longline trolling

Have any of you ever used the little crappie max reels and the little bass pro shops reels from bass pro that are 19.99 to longline troll with? Do they work ok for that. I have just been using reels I had on hand but want to buy some more for trolling. Seems like the reel does not really matter much you just let line out and reel the fish in when they get on.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    Have any of you ever used the little crappie max reels and the little bass pro shops reels from bass pro that are 19.99 to longline troll with? Do they work ok for that. I have just been using reels I had on hand but want to buy some more for trolling. Seems like the reel does not really matter much you just let line out and reel the fish in when they get on.
    Seeker ... I think I'd just get those Okuma MA 15D line counter reels at Northwoods Wholesale Outlet ($27). Then you wouldn't have to "guess" at how much line you have to put out, to get the bait back to the depth needed.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use the BPS tiny lite reels...good reel for the price and they come with a spare spool that I use to hold 4lb line for quick line change if I need to go to a lighter line while trolling.
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my Okuma Magda 15s for pulling Bandits but use spinning reels for longlining. I like a decent drag and about 100 Yard of 6 pound test mono capacity. Okuma makes some decent spinning reels for about $25 and some junk for less. I have a mix of Wally Marshall BPS, Okumas, Quantum, Mitchell, you name it. All have the features I mentioned.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had good success with the quantum spinning reels but those were a few bucks cheaper so I wondered about them. Crappypappy I plan on buying some of those you mentioned for cranking but was talking about spinning reels this time for long line trolling jigs. Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning reels for me. Few things I look for is small, smooth drag, and under $20. BnM, Shimano, Quantum, Bass Pro, Wally M. Think I have them all with no complaints.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I use the smallest bps crappie max for both long lining and dock shooting, no issues at all, the drag is pretty good on mine but you can get a bad one on occasion. I have several and used 'em for a couple years with no issues.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Smallest cheapest spinning reels I can find (normally at Grizzly Jig). Bought some Eagle Claws with handle that folds up flat for like $13 each. The spinning reels allow you to cast the jig, the line counters do not allow you to cast the jig and you spend more time letting the line out than fishing.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

No go on the line counters, they are not needed. Get the cheapest 1 ball bearing reel you can find. Call wade at grizzly jig and he will set you up, but yes, those reels you asked about are perfect.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone have any experience with these reels IX2000R, they are very low priced but look like they would be fine. Shimano IX R Spinning Reels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast