Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: You can't go fast enough to outrun lightning!

Post Thanks / Like

Default You can't go fast enough to outrun lightning!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And you don't have to be all that close to "feel" it, either !!

I was crossing a local lake, several years back, in order to trailer my boat ... after hearing thunder in the distance. Got about halfway across, idling through the no wake area, when I got a bit of a "buzz" through the steering wheel of the boat. Never saw the lightning, never even saw a flash of light or heard any crack of thunder, when I got buzzed.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Electro-Fishing the hard way
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing with a friend several years ago on KY Lake. We were trolling river bars for sauger. A thunderstorm had gone across the lake a few miles south of us and the sun was out where we were. I raised my graphite spinning rod up to adjust it and it hummed. I not talking about a barely noticeable hum, I'm talking Luke Skywalker light sabre LOUD hum. I could lower the rod and it would stop, raise it and it would get louder the higher I raised it. I decided then and there that it was time to head to the house. I'm not normally into taking unnecessary chances. That much static electricity in the air made being there unnecessary.

I almost lost a buddy on Lake Lanier in GA several years ago. He and his Dad were bass fishing and boom! Steve said the next thing he knew, his Dad was kneeling over him and crying. Steve had been struck but his Dad had not. He suffered some slight burns and some hearing loss. Never could get him to fish in rainy weather after that.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Often we hear that lightning hits the tallest point. Wonder why it struck the water surface and not the boat (which is obviously a higher/taller point)?

Personally I believe God is in control. Thoughts?

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that on the Cincinnati news last night. Scary stuff. I'm out of there as soon as I hear any thunder or see any lightning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreekboy View Post
    I saw that on the Cincinnati news last night. Scary stuff. I'm out of there as soon as I hear any thunder or see any lightning.
    just don't get in my way!!!
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a person can be a lightning rod and draw it. Maybe the fisherman was not one of those human lightning rods. I know an old fella that has been struck six times by lightning. There were witnesses to every event. He is still in good health (?????). he gets hit and it knocks him unconscious. He wakes up and doesn't remember what happened but people around him saw it. He got struck in a crowd at a race one time. Out of all the people there, he got struck.

I have learned three things from this man. 1) there is no way that a man should be struck by lightning that many times in his life. There has to be a higher power at play. 2) there is no way that man should be on this Earth still. A higher power has something to do with that too. 3) If I am around this man when a storm comes up, I don't want to be within ten miles of him!CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Crappie View Post
    Often we hear that lightning hits the tallest point. Wonder why it struck the water surface and not the boat (which is obviously a higher/taller point)?

Personally I believe God is in control. Thoughts?
    Yep!
    I was also wondering what he was doing video-ing in a storm...
    And why a 16 yr old has a boat Wayyyyy nicer than mine!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Been there and done that! I hope that I never experience that again...... A Good friend of mine, was hit by Lightening and Died! I, "Will NOT", chance my Life again!!!!!!
    2005 War Eagle, 50hp Mercury 4 stroke