Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Trip Report, Beaver Dam Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Trip Report, Beaver Dam Creek

I made a short trip to Beaver Dam Creek this morning before Wheeler WMA locked the gates for winter. Water was low and 70 degrees at 8:00AM. A few Crappie had moved shallow including several slabs. I kept a dozen for dinner and tossed back about the same number of keepers in 3 hours of fishing. I threw back three, 14 inch Crappie and kept one that I hooked deep. All were caught on a white 1/16 oz Marabou jig targeting stumps and laydowns. I’m hoping the 14 inches grow some by next Spring!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  131014.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  53.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

You are def the man!! Odd how the shallow water is 4-5 degress cooler than the deep moving river water.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Way to keep on the DB!

Post Thanks / Like

callshy, The shallow water cools quicker over the night, but also heats up quick through the day. That's one of the reason I fish primarily in the morning during the summer, but afternoons during the winter. Beaverdam Creek like Limestone has a spring that feeds into it also. Not much flow except after a good rain though. These fish live shallow all summer and are pushed into the remaining water as the lake drops. They will eventually move out into the main lake, but right now the bait fish are also concentrated by the falling water so they hanging on and feasting. All the fish I cleaned were stuffed with shad.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditch, What kind of Yak do you have?, My primary and favorite is a Hobie Outback that I use here on the coast for Bay/sound fishing for Reds, Specs and Flounder. That will change soon to fishing for crappie & bass above Millers Ferry. The times I have been it seems like I need to change my Rod holders, Cooler, anchor set up (I use a stakeout pole) and add a good fish finder (really don't want to add any electronics but since I'm new... it seems like the best way to find the fish). Just looking for good setup ideas and you seem to be "The Man" Thanks for any info or tips you could share

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fishing an Old Town Dirigo 106 now, but plan to change to an Native Ultimate 12 when I find a used one at a good price. I've caught Reds, sea trout, flounder and Sheepshead from my Old Town kayak in Georgia and both Rainbow and Brown trout in Missouri. If you search the site you'll find my post with pictures of my setup. I think part of the fun is making your own stuff to meet specific needs. I don't have all the answers, just know what works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

My first yak was a 12' Dirigo. I liked it so much that I still have it. Well built and very comfortable. I was about to buy a Native Slayer but opted for an Ascend sit on top. It was great but the pedal drive Hobie is hard to beat. You should consider a SOT for all the extra room but I know that Native model and it is about as roomy as a sit in gets. Good luck and thanks for your reply. FYI I am a regular and member of the Pensacola fishing forum and they have a very active Kayak forum with a good for sale section. I have seen several Natives on there and if you don't mind the drive south you may find a good buy

Post Thanks / Like

I tried beaver dam yesterday with less luck. I caught 12 or 13 kept 5 some were small and some had those parasitic growths on them. they did not bite the spider rigging. only close to cover and not the laydowns near the banks. only stumps and stickups away from the banks. taking today off, might get the big boat out in the morning. the shad were going crazy the whole time I was there. one jumped into the kayak. still nothing spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

May concern with the Hobie is I spend time sliding the bottom of my kayak in the mud or rocks between deeper holes in some areas I fish. The Hobie drive wouldn't last long with that abuse. I like the room of the sit on top but fish rough water especially in the winter. I've spent the morning with it below freezing and white capping pulling Crappie. A sit in side provide a little more protection. I like the look of the Native where I can cover the bow and stern during bad weather, but remove it the rest of the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast