Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Quiet out on Wheeler Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quiet out on Wheeler Lake

Just wondering if anyone else is getting skunked as bad as me ? Deep, shallow, stumps, rocks, shells, Minnows, jigs, schools of shad. I've tried about all. Can't wait for winter.
    The truth is hard to accept, so is life .

Post Thanks / Like

It was tough fishing around Decatur for me on Thursday and Friday.

About the only excitement that I had was when a moccasin decided to get in the boat with me. He got all curled up where the motor connects to the transom. I beat him with my paddle. Paddle is shot. Snake is dead.
    Team "Itch N 2 Fish"

Post Thanks / Like

Beat around shallow around Decatur Friday with very little luck. Went deeper and down river Sat with better success.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing well shallow, but I'm chasing the Crappie that live shallow year round and haven't left yet with the falling water. The stump fields in Limestone should be good with Crappie starting to move shallow chasing shad and falling water temperatures. The Crappie that normally live shallow through the summer are being pushed out of Limestone and Beaver Dam Creek with falling water and will set up in the same shallow stump fields. If I ran a large boat that's were I'd be dragging jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Well finally scored. Buddy of mine got one of those Blue water led lights out in the harbor. Caught some nice sized crappie between 8-9:30. Left with my limit at 10pm. Had to leave to go to work tommorrow. Big ones came right off the bottom. Bass Assasin tiiny shad Blk/ Chart.
    The truth is hard to accept, so is life .

Post Thanks / Like

I went and fished the mouth of the Flint river up to about 1 mile in it. Had very little luck (2 keepers). I fished flats, dropoffs (down to 12ft), stumps, and treetops. Fished for bass for 5 minutes and caught one 3 lbs. Looks like I should have focused on bass fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditchbasser: Thanks for your informative reports. I hope to get out to the Mooresville area to kayak fish soon. Monday is my fishing day, do you fish any on Mondays?

Post Thanks / Like

I get off at 3PM normally so I might be able to meet for a short trip after work on a Monday before time change. I usually fish Sat and Sun mornings early. Daylight till around lunch time. Limestone Bay is as close as you can get to a sure thing for catching Crappie year round. They may be 10 or 15 feet deep in the creek channel that connects to the main lake or up in Beaverdam or Limestone Creek 12 inches deep, but there's always Crappie there.

Post Thanks / Like

We caught a couple of nice slabs right below G'ville Dam, on the rip rap (rocks) early (10AM) yesterday. BUT, we were fishin for bass!! They were hitting the larger, deep diving (9-12') chartreuse & blue crank baits! River is lower than I have seen it in a while. A lot of good crappie cover is exposed. Caught a nice Spotted Bass where the sand barges are tied up. My objective was to go up in the Flint a ways, but never made it!