Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is it time?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it time?

Ok up until this weekend my buddy and I have been doing decent pulling the cranks on the big G ,Sat we only managed 6 in 5 hours pulling the same areas we have been the last couple of months So I figure they have started whatever their fall pattern is. There were 2 big differences this weekend a 10° water drop from 84° to 74°and the bait clouds put over the creek channels were slim to none where there had been lots So I assume its time to put away the cranks and go back to long lining and spider rigging if you dont shoot docks. I am pretty sure we need to figure out where the bait is and follow them ,sooo, since my buddy and I are still learning, any general info on where to long line this time of year(speed and colors too) would be appreciated!! we figured out the late winter , spring and summer sort of but stunk it up last fall when we started so hoping to improve this year!!

Post Thanks / Like

After the next cold front comes through it should get really good, just waiting on the bait fish to make a move..

Post Thanks / Like

That's about to happen Wednesday if you can believe the weather reports.(38-40 for a low) As you can see a lot of replys to my questions about where and how to fish for them when the bait makes it move this time of year, which it is already in the process of doing . Long liners are a tight lipped bunch in general we have found but the few that have pinged me were very helpful!! On another note the Fall Crappie Bridge run has evidently started as I saw 9 cars at one gville bridge and my buddy said the feed mill bridge and trussel looked like a take a name and number baskin robbins store LOL !!And here I am stuck at work !!

Post Thanks / Like

Just go ahead and start looking in the backs of the creeks and long line your way out....... oh and...KEEP A LOG!!!!
    all the advice you might read is fo shizzle without a log to compare a couple of years data too. Sometimes its more about learning where NOT to fish as opposed to WHERE to fish.
    My long lining season begins tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Toad, what speed you gonna start pulling at .I assume you will be using 1/16th jigs. I am guessing pulling a little faster in this warmer water for the time being .

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the pulling on Wheeler Friday and went back to cranks Saturday. Father in Law had been having slow times with the cranks until Sunday and he had a good day again. They are moving around though.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shy now i don tknow what to do HAHA yes this change over of patterns is hit or miss for sure. Hard to leave cranks as we had finally got the hang of it it seemed until last weekend.We are gonna try friday afternoon and Sat if the weather permits.Anybody figure them out before that general info would be preciated

Post Thanks / Like

I would stay with the cranks until the afternoon water temp gets below 72. All of the fish are not going to move that shallow.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Go with callshys advice. I pulled today and caught 2 in my shallow spots. Saw lots of bait though and lots of white bass action. Temp was 71 in my area but 75 on the channel. Its really close. Go w cranks.
    Hey kudos to a triple blade tm prop too. Very quiet n smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Toad , for how you did .water may be even cooler by friday but looks like the cranks will get the call first anyway !!!