PDA

View Full Version : Painted jig head problem

tjcostanzo
10-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Does anyone have a good way to get the point off the hook eye?
i keep breaking hook eyes

eric 3501
10-12-2013, 01:30 PM
If your talking about the paint out of the eye, I use a ice pick, once I have dipped the jig head, before I bake them. If you wait till they are baked, it's next to impossible as the paint hardens to much.

Pepop
10-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Hold the jig by the eye with forceps. Little to no paint gets in the eye.

jimfish
10-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Before you dip the jig in paint I use a small piece of heat shrink,heat it first and wait about 10 sec. then dip in paint remove as soon as its out of the paint no clean up needed.

Dutch
10-12-2013, 02:08 PM
All your problems solved for less than $4

Bass Pro ShopsŪ Jig Eye Cleaner | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Jig-Eye-Cleaner/product/29673/)

tjcostanzo
10-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Sorry guys, I mean store bought jigs are what I am dealing with

Cmj
10-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Sorry guys, I mean store bought jigs are what I am dealing with

I just take one of my other jigs and poke the hook through the eye. Works like a charm.

skiptomylu
10-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Once cured the best and easies way is have a thin needle bodkin and heat it and the paint will melt out when you stick it through it. I use a wooden tooth pick I whittle down to a fine long point that I stick in the eye after dipping it. I am no a fan of using my forceps to hold the eye, too much cleaning of them for me and I don't have that issue.

also the best place to ask this kind of question is on the jig board and you will get more replies from Guys tying jigs.

some of the other ideas here posted work fine on a jig head that the paint has jot been cured!

Cardsfan55
10-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I just take one of my other jigs and poke the hook through the eye. Works like a charm.

x2 I use this method also...

tjcostanzo
10-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Dutch, you rock. I just stopped by Cabelas and picked one up

bdunn3
10-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Have used the tool and other jigs to clean them. Sometimes the paint is so thick that I scrape paint off of the eye with my thumb on both sides before doing the cleaning on the eye itself.

zuk1200
10-14-2013, 03:39 PM
All your problems solved for less than $4

Bass Pro ShopsŪ Jig Eye Cleaner | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Jig-Eye-Cleaner/product/29673/)

Dutch, you rock. I just stopped by Cabelas and picked one up

Purchased two of those last year and they were $1 a piece don't think I would pay more than that for them again. I loved the way it worked with ease. Down side the point wears off real quick.

SirBob
10-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Metal Dental picks your work good. Ask your dentist for an old one, or catch them at fleemarkets. Just give then a little file sharping and ready.

ScottV
10-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Hold the jig by the eye with forceps. Little to no paint gets in the eye.

What he said.

Bobo Greybeard
10-17-2013, 10:30 AM
I use both the Jig Eye Cleaner and a needle. If I am out at the lake I use another Jig.

Keep your eyes on Walmart this time of year. I picked up a Jig Eye Cleaner for about .99 cents in a clearance bin. As far as the needle goes, as soon as I bring it out of the powder I poke the needle through the eye.

Hope it helps,

Bobo

Fins a Floppin
10-19-2013, 07:21 PM
This works like a charm!

Jig Eye Cleaner Tool (http://lurepartsonline.com/Shop-By-Category/Miscellaneous-Tools/Jig-Eye-Cleaner-Tool.html)

crappiefarmer
10-20-2013, 09:28 AM
I take an old jig and heat the end of the hook with a lighter. Then stick the hook point through the clogged jig eye. Hot knife through butter.CF

skeetbum
10-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Skip and CF have the right idea. I've worn out several pokers of different descriptions and gone back to a heat source and needle. A bodkin is just a tempered needle with a handle. Best to go over any heads before they go into the box. Powder paint is extra tough and some of the storebought isn't much easier. Doing your own is easier than most folks think. I hold mine by the eye and never have to clean em, tons easier and I get the colors I want.

EnonEye
10-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Metal Dental picks your work good. Ask your dentist for an old one, or catch them at fleemarkets. Just give then a little file sharping and ready.
x2 - just be sure to have something behind the eye when it goes through so it doesn't go through your finger