Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got a Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got a Question

I've been using a set of 16' Capps and Coleman poles, but just bought a set of the 16' BGJP's. Has anyone used both poles before, and if so, what are the Pros and Cons of each.

I also sell and use the Ozark 14' and 16'ers, and I like them. I just have never tried the BGJP's and had to give them a shot. I like staying up on my crappie gear so I can be the Know It All you guys have grown to love !!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Let's hear the results!!!!
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully you can try them soon and you can tell us.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh.......we really need another know it all lol
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my best diagnosis of the poles I've used so far.

Wally Marshall ( Crappiemax)--- Stiff Tip, lots of backbone. Fair for pushing minnows, but a great pole for Power Pushing jigs or Cranks, Pulling Cranks, or Long-Lining. You will miss a lot of bites with the stiff tip section because you can't see the light biters very well when Spider Rigging especially in rough water. Good pole for anything needing Power!!!!

PST's--- similar to the above pole. Has a slightly softer tip section.

Ozarks--- Lite tip section for seeing light biters. Good backbone for handling big fish. Lite enough to push minnows slow and see the bite, but strong enough to Power Troll jigs Long-Line, AND Push or pull Cranks. Cold water or finicky fish will feel the backbone tension and spit the bait a little faster with these compared to the Softer poles but you WILL see the initial bite. Best ALL AROUND pole on the market from the beginner to the advanced angler!!!!!

Capps and Coleman---- Soft Tip section. There is a learning curve for these finesse style spider rigging poles. You see the lite biters Very well, but must wait for the fish to take the bait!!! It shows you a bite very early and you have a tendency to pull the bait from the fish if you don't wait on em a bit. You have to Set the hook on these poles because of the lack of spine. No Backbone much. Must net every fish over a pound. Pole has a great parabolic bend, and the fish don't spit the bait from feeling the pole tension as fast in cold water or on a finicky bite. The pole will roll around when lifting a fish, and a catfish or striper is gonna cause a wreck because of the lack of backbone. You just can't control a big fish very well. Overall, it's a Great fall/winter/early spring Spider Rigging pole when the fish hit very lite, or spit the bait when they feel the tension of the rod. This is the Spider Rigging pole I prefer in the winter. Not good for much else but slow to medium speed Spider Rigging!!!!

BGJP's--- Don't know yet. I've been told they are limber like the C and C's with a bit more spine. Fish just can't feel the pole when they are lite biting is what I've been told by the B and M Pro Staff guys. Like I said, I just don't know yet.
    Im waiting or y'all's experiences with them.

BTW, there are other factors not mentioned like heavy cover, current, etc. My best advise on buying anything is to buy what suits YOUR needs best. These ARE NOT recommendations on these poles, just my personal observations, and your experiences might be different. Please post your personal opinions. (Like you wouldn't have anyway!!!). :-)

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of 14 Southern Crappie Rods. Have not fished them an awful lot yet but have found them to comparable to the Ozark.. Really like them so far and whole lot better pricing. Sensitive tip with plenty of backbone. Taking a little getting used to after fishing the PST for so long. Like you said Bill, they should be much better for winter time bite.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to know how the "pro staff guys" knows when a fish spits a bait out because it feels the tension of the pole or feel the pole when they bite it? ......I CALL BS .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got a Question

I got a set of the bgjp 14 ft poles. I am wishing I would have went with maybe the ozarks. My experience is anything over 1.25lb gets the net. They are great to see the bite but don't have the backbone either to lift bigger fish. A good size crappie will make a mess also between the poles. Haven't got any cats on em yet. I like them for there light weight. Since I don't tourney fish much the ozark may suit me better because I like to lift and go and hate using the net unless bigger 2lbs. If they had a little more back bone they would be great! Also anything more 1/2 oz loads the rod tip pretty good IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdog View Post
    I just want to know how the "pro staff guys" knows when a fish spits a bait out because it feels the tension of the pole or feel the pole when they bite it? ......I CALL BS .
    I guess they have a bunch of TOW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    I guess they have a bunch of TOW.
    10/4.... I got cha!! I still call BS LMAO!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got a Question

When the pole goes down and you feel the fish for a second, or you roll one that's barely hooked, or the minnows skinned from the dorsal back, you can't bet some of those fish were catchable but they let go of the bait. I see it often that the pole goes down, but notta, nuttin!!! I think the fish are mouthing the end of the bait but when they feel the tension of the rod or the weight itself, they let the bait go Before you have time to react or set the hook.

Pfffffft Kdawg!!! :-)