Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Additional Forum for Creative Subjects/Homemade/DIY/Projects

Post Thanks / Like

Question Additional Forum for Creative Subjects/Homemade/DIY/Projects

For some time there have been many creative projects & exciting ideas posted by our CdC members. Some of these neat posts have helped our collective fishing- either in organization, design/fabrication/modification, creativity/idea stimulation, replication, or in other ways. Something that may be good for members... is adding a forum to post/share their creative projects, unique ways/methods of doing fishing related things, homemade designs, DIY ideas, fabrication/modifications, etc. Kind of like an instructables forum for Crappie fishing.

In this forum could be: ideas, questions, diagrams/plans (early ones open for discussion/suggestions, in-process ones, ones that worked, modified plans, and plans that didn’t work & why they didn’t), before and after pics, videos, links, etc. Some of the “things” could be: fishing lights, minnow trap designs, DIY crappie nibbles, bait storage ideas, raising your own baits, how to make a seine/throw net, PVC fabrication (for storage, structure, boating, gigging, anchoring systems, etc.), battery tips/set up, boat/trailer modification, marker buoy, automating manual items & processes, drift socks, throw net devices, boat lighting, homemade scents & attractants, fish cleaning stations, chumming, recovering boat upholstery & carpet, rod repair, jug fishing/noodle designs, upcycling for fishing & boating, fish cleaning devices, easy ways to care/store/modify equipment, how to make your own rigs/baits & equipment, how to clean/repair reels, trot lines, DIY aerators, and many many more creative subjects of interest to CdC members.

Currently there are projects posted in various CdC forums. Using the CdC search features, these can be found- yet so many posts have to be read and to be searched through before finding the right one due to many keyword matches. If these can be found in a single forum, the search process is simplified.

After presenting this to Slab, he thinks it’s a good idea. He has two concerns: 1) that it’ll get used & 2) how to organize it with other existing forums like structure and lure making and boats,motors,trailers. (Since these forums exist, they might be placed subordinate to this broader forum like sub-folders.)

What do you think?
    Last edited by Hoosier Crappie; 10-08-2013 at 01:11 AM.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When you get too many forums it sometimes confuses the members and things get posted in the wrong forums. It takes time for the mods to move these. Some will get overlooked and never moved which ads to the problem of haveing to search for them. So while it may be a good thing it could also be a bad thing. Lot to think about. A lot of the subjects that you mention are already covered in other forums now.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I am not one of the admins of this board but will weigh in anyways! I LOVE this board and all the info it has given me. And, I agree with "G"'s comments. However the proposed forum seems to me could be very useful. Several times I have stumbled onto an idea that was useful/interesting at some unexpected location. i love seeing folks solutions/inventions to situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Couple things:

It can always be a sub forum of an existing one.

Or we can simply rename a current forum that is similar and add DIY to the title.

Additionally, we do have an archive forum for real good threads "we don't want to loose", good ideas where ever they are at could simply be copied there. Yes, copied so it would still remain where it was originally posted.

Another idea might be to have a new DIY forum, and put a bunch of the existing forums under it since there are many topic specific DIY forums already. This option might help to organize things.

And finally, we can do nothing, and where a DIY project did not fit into a current category it could just be posted on the main forum. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe even add the term "DIY" to the title of threads like this no matter what forum they get posted in.

I truly thank HC and everyone else for their feedback in helping to make the site better and better. It's the only way to fly! lol
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post

Another idea might be to have a new DIY forum, and put a bunch of the existing forums under it since there are many topic specific DIY forums already. This option might help to organize things.
    I like this idea if anything is done...just my

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Hoosier Crappie;2461347]
    Currently there are projects posted in various CdC forums. Using the CdC search features, these can be found- yet so many posts have to be read and to be searched through before finding the right one due to many keyword matches. If these can be found in a single forum, the search process is simplified.

QUOTE]

A lot of the time if I have a hard time using the sites forum search function trying to find something.....its because I am searching the wrong forum. And I have also googled what I was looking for at times and sure enough....would be a link back to C.C for it. Now matter what you do add another forum or whatever....if you are looking for some specific thing you are going to have to hunt awhile to find it. Just seems the least amount of confusion the better all the way around. Many of the topics that you listed already have their own forum or exist in one.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea but agree with "G" that it can cause confusion at times. It does take time to move stuff also. Although doing a DIY sub forum under forums that do not already have something similar wouldn't be bad. I read a thread in the Arkansas forum about a DIY boat rigging. Fella did an AWSOME job. He built some really trick stuff and has ALOT of pics of this progress. Would be nice to put it under one of the main forums so others can see it. That would fit into the DIY arena like you are describing. But then like with lures...these will more than likely be under the jig tying forum which is DIY already. Great idea but I guess its like Agrihawg used to get onto me about...I LOVE stickys but can go overboard...lol. Most of us visit so frequently that we don't really miss to much.

So its more of a 6 one way half a dozen another deal in my opinion...either way we have one of the...if not the best forum on the web. Easy to navigate, great people, LOTS of information...whatever is done will not change that.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see a DIY section . If you label it DIY , I , for one won't be too confused .

Post Thanks / Like

When you get too many forums it sometimes confuses the members and things get posted in the wrong forums. Yes, it’s possible- we all can become confused, but how is this forum seen as something that is obviously confusing or intentionally confusing for our members? (especially considering the possible subordination of the 3 mentioned forums) Don’t under-estimate- our members are no simpletons. It takes time for the mods to move these. Some will get overlooked and never moved which ads to the problem of haveing to search for them. Why do you feel obligated to 100% accuracy/thoroughness? Do you ever make a mistake or maybe miss a crappie strike? We’re not perfect & there are things we can do/use to help us. Although we all appreciate your commitment to detail in your volunteer work, please resign your moderator responsibilities to accept less than perfection. What do I mean? If members post in the right place, that’s wonderful & for those that don’t, move what you can to correct forums- the search engine will find what you might miss. In other words, don’t sweat it if you miss a few. Besides, are you and other moderators catching and moving 100% of the posts to appropriate forums now? No, definitely not- and yet CdC remains fine. So while it may be a good thing it could also be a bad thing. How could this be a bad thing? Lot to think about. Really??? How so??? This is pretty simple. Forums are existing features of the website. For some reason you’re sounding reluctant to embrace this. Slab had two concerns- please stick to them (will this DIY forum be used & what to do with the 3 existing forums). A lot of the subjects that you mention are already covered in other forums now. Yes, already addressed this in my post.

[QUOTE=Hoosier Crappie;2461347]

QUOTE]

A lot of the time if I have a hard time using the sites forum search function trying to find something.....its because I am searching the wrong forum. This is USER ERROR- solved by proper search practices. And I have also googled what I was looking for at times and sure enough....would be a link back to C.C for it. Okay, now I’m confused. What do Google searches have to do with this topic? Now matter what you do add another forum or whatever....if you are looking for some specific thing you are going to have to hunt awhile to find it. No, if things remain the same, you will always “have to hunt awhile to find it”. My suggestion attempts to help this condition. If one forum is properly searched instead of many forums, search results will be equal or (more likely) be less. With less results, there will be less to read and peruse. Just seems the least amount of confusion the better all the way around. Yes, that’s the premise of my suggestion/thoughts. Still I’m wondering what “confusion” you’re speaking??? Is this to do with USER ERROR or your Google searches? Many of the topics that you listed already have their own forum or exist in one. Yes, you stated this before- it’s addressed in my original post (see above) and prior to your second post, Slab posted several options to keep things simple.

“G”, unfortunately I don’t know you (you’re probably a super guy and wicked good crappie angler); otherwise, I may understand your opposition better. After reviewing your comments about it being bad & creating confusion, I feel like it's “twenty reasons why something won’t work” before giving it a fair chance to succeed! LOL (hope I'm wrong)

I would love to see a DIY section . If you label it DIY , I , for one won't be too confused . Thank you! See, we are capable of reading a forum title and not becoming confused. With frequency in practice, many of us should be able to avoid “confusion” and “USER ERROR” in forum searches too.

All,

In fair assessment, I'm unable to see it being “BAD” for CdC & causing “CONFUSION” for CdC members. The opposing comments overstate this condition of “confusion” to comedy. Naturally like Slab, I want the best for CdC too. Slab felt good about the suggestion and asked it be posted for feedback, so he could evaluate whether it would be a useful forum and if added, what members thought about doing to the 3 mentioned forums.

Please feel free to post feedback to Slab’s concerns...
    Last edited by Hoosier Crappie; 10-09-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your feedback
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast