Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big bite !

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Big bite !

I am always telling folks that Crappie have a big mouth for a reason. It is a predator and will eat whatever fits it's mouth. Most times there is no reason to use tiny baits. Look what this Crappie had in it's belly next to the big Southern Pro Umbrella tube. That Shad was over 4'' long !

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  43.4 KB
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes pesce LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

"Big bait=Big fish" is what lots of top crappie guys have always said. Here is an illustration;
    that's a 3" bait so it must be a 4" shad & probably a 14-15" crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using 3 in. baits for over a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep...I have caught them with as many as four 3"-4" shad in their mouths, just gorging themselves.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And yet .... most studies on what Crappie have in their stomachs, shows a preference for 1.5-2.5" size prey. And I've caught a boatload of 1-2+lb Crappie using 1.5" baits (Spring/Summer/Fall).

This thread reminds me of a thought that occurred to me, just the other day. Trolling with 200 & 300 series Bandit crankbaits & catching Crappie as small as 5" long, I was amazed that they'd attack such a "big" bait ... that is until I realized that the bait is really only TWO INCHES long, not counting the clear bill. The side profile would only appear as a 2" long fish, to a Crappie ... and a mere 3/4" thick profile, viewed from above or below. So, while it appears to be a big offering, when held in your hand ... take away the clear bill and it's really just a "fat" two inch long fish profile that the Crappie are seeing !! Easy enough for a 5" or longer Crappie to inhale, provided they can catch up to it, when it's going at 1.5-2mph !!

I'm also reminded of a trip I took to Watts Bar, years ago ... where a "local" friend was catching Slabs trolling a 3" twin tail grub, and told my fishing partner & I to get down there fast. We arrived there in less than a week ... and proceeded to catch daily limits of Slab Crappie, using 1/16oz Roadrunners casting the deep banks

In my experience, you don't "always" catch big Crappie on big baits, nor little ones using small baits. What you do catch is whatever size fish are present, when you present whatever sized bait you're using ... at the correct depth & speed.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

this is why i only use those 12" AC plugs for crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna try that 4 ft. Rapala display lure next time I'm goingto Grenada. Push it with a chunk of rail for a weight I guess.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering what Pappie said above. Wouldn't the benefit of using larger baits be eliminating or reducing the smaller Crappies from biting? Also do Crappie school in mixed sized schools or prefer to stay with others similar in size to themselves?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knot2Bad View Post
    Considering what Pappie said above. Wouldn't the benefit of using larger baits be eliminating or reducing the smaller Crappies from biting? Also do Crappie school in mixed sized schools or prefer to stay with others similar in size to themselves?
    Not really, K2B ... the smaller fish will bite the larger baits just as readily as the larger fish will, if you happen to get into a school of them. They also seem to be more likely to be more aggressive, whereas the larger ones tend to be more selective in what they choose to eat. That's just my opinion, though.

I think Crappie "tend" to school in year class size, but can occasionally get "mixed" in sizes. I've always thought that, starting in the Spring, they pretty much run together by age (year class/size) ... then get scattered & mixed through the Summer, and re-group late in the year. Then there's the thought that some of the really old (big) ones, either turn into loners or run in small schools. Whether that's due to mortality of their "schoolmates", or just an instinctive act, is debatable.

... cp

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

My theory is most fish will eat what's available and fit their mouths when feeding. I perfer bigger baits because it allows bigger hooks , larger profile making it more visable to fish on stained or muddy water , and heavier jigs verticle jigging means I stay in touch with my bait to feel that thump ! I was mainly showing that Crappie do eat big prey as some folks always say smaller. Look at this little dude on a big bait I caught last week.

Name:  P100313951036.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  44.7 KB
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes pesce LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast