PDA

View Full Version : EZ-T-Pole Perch help needed.

bobothewizard
10-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey all, I have a EZ-T-Pole perch double seat setup and recently purchased a sportsbrella to go in what I think is the umbrella holder that is attached to the pole perch but the sportsbrella shaft is way to small when it fits in to the umbrella holder. How did you all get it to fit snugly in the holder? Or maybe that circular thing attached to the pole perch isn't an umbrella holder?

callshy
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Not that experienced with it but I believe it is an umbrella holder. It is probably larger due to the normal size of umbrella posts. Get a wooden dowel close to the inside diameter of the umbrella holder and drill a hole in the dowel the size of the sportsbrella shaft (considering you can find a dowel close to the diameter needed). Or some shaft collars could be used (McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=ou32z4), can normally be found at your local hardware store). Down and dirt way would be to wrap electrical tape around the sportsbrella shaft (just have to do two locations, at bottom of shaft and up from that however tall the umbrella holder is).

Other folks that have experienced your problem may have better thoughts though.

satdoc1
10-07-2013, 02:03 PM
A pic of what you are talking about would help out!

"G"
10-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Pull the botton section of the pole out of your sports brella and turn it around......one end is pointed the other end is. Flat and they are slightly different sizes.

callshy
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I think "THIS" is what he is talking about. Not a good picture but...

bobothewizard
10-07-2013, 02:32 PM
That's exactly what im talking about

T.C.
10-07-2013, 02:47 PM
That's where I keep my 12' net. It serves either purpose, net, umbrella it doesn't matter. The wooden dowel in a great idea to solve your problem

Cray
10-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Measure inside of hole. Find a piece of PVC that will fit snug in the hole preferably the Gray electrical which is a lot tougher. Take the slide out pole G was talking about to Lowes- Home depot. Might find aPVC sleeve or reducer that would fit in that hole and tighten up clearance on brella pole.

CrappiePappy
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
In the picture, there appears to be a "key screw" to lock down whatever shaft is placed in the holder .... is it not long enough to pin the umbrella shaft tightly in the holder ?? Maybe you could find a longer version of that screw ?? :dono

... cp :kewl

"G"
10-07-2013, 03:08 PM
the sportsbrella is supposed to fit in a 3/4 in. hole....it should go in the top of the center post on your double rig ( most I have seen have a plastic or a nylon bushing in them) ....I think those rings on the side are for something else...net holder maybe.

CrappiePappy
10-07-2013, 03:38 PM
the sportsbrella is supposed to fit in a 3/4 in. hole....it should go in the top of the center post on your double rig ( most I have seen have a plastic or a nylon bushing in them) ....I think those rings on the side are for something else...net holder maybe.

Yeah ... but, why would you have a lock down screw on the net holder ?? Wouldn't it be more likely for a umbrella to get blown out of the holder, thus needing a screw to pin it against the inside of the holder ?? And I sure wouldn't want to forget to unscrew it, if I had a net in it ... since it would be my luck that I'd have a fish of a lifetime hooked, and wouldn't be able to get the net out of the holder :Rofl

... cp :kewl

chaunc
10-07-2013, 03:39 PM
I agree with Pap. Just get a longer screw for it. Simple and easy.

"G"
10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
That holder with the screw is probably for a beach umbrella......they have a larger pole. The sports brella fits a 3/4 in hole and will fit in a 3/4 in seat base hole. Most double rigs that I have seen have a 3'4 in seat bushing in the top of that center post for a sports brella. If it does not have one perhaps he could put one in it.

"G"
10-07-2013, 03:59 PM
And your right CP you do need to secure the sportsbrella, it comes with tie downs for that but they get in the way at times bringing fish in. I put a small safety chain on mine to keep it from getting blown out. They fit pretty snug in the seat base bushing though but a strong wind hits it just right it can lift it out and.....they do not float. Don't ask me how I know that.

bobothewizard
10-07-2013, 06:14 PM
So went out and took a look at the suggestions. The best way was to just put a longer screw in it.

"G"
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM
So went out and took a look at the suggestions. The best way was to just put a longer screw in it.

Good deal

bobothewizard
10-08-2013, 05:43 AM
I think the problem with the whole thing is its just not the right type of umbrella. You really need one of those big umbrellas that you would use on your deck or one for a outside table. The kind that stick in the middle of a table on your patio. The sportz-brella is nice, but you need something that can tilt backwards. When we fish with the sportz-brella up it comes to far forward and we have a hard time holding the rods up straight in the air to swing the crappies back to the boat.

Granted a net would help, but I just think this is the wrong type of umbrella.

"G"
10-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Its a great umbrella when mounted in the right place. I have two seat mounts on the front of my boat for side by side fishing. I have a bg wide front deck.......a third seat mount is mounted in the center back behind my two seats. I added a short extension to my sports brella post to make it a little higher......I put it in the third seat mount. I can set the hook and step forward out from under the brella and easily land a fish. All boats are layed out different and you just have to figure out how to do what will work for ya.

bobothewizard
10-08-2013, 06:18 AM
I just dont have that third seat post. I am pretty much at the mercy of the E-Z-Pole perch double seat mount. But yeah if I could mount it differently it might work of course my boat is kinda cramped as it is just a crestliner storm 16 footer.

Gomer Snerd
10-08-2013, 07:17 AM
The pole on the Bella will chew up you carpet if you let it rest on it. As you move the post moves too and does it's dirty work. Don't ask me how I know.

Rees Guide
10-08-2013, 08:29 AM
The pole on the Bella will chew up you carpet if you let it rest on it. As you move the post moves too and does it's dirty work. Don't ask me how I know.
Think they are talking about a different holder. If you got one of Gene's and are using it down low put a nickel in it and ha will stop that prob.

Gomer Snerd
10-08-2013, 10:52 PM
nope. I have the ezpole perch too. Gene's is no problem. I use it on top. But I rigged up a pole perch on the back deck and take two cohorts. The pole gous in the hole that is oversized. That let the brella pole move around and eat my carpet

Rees Guide
10-09-2013, 06:45 AM
I got ya, try Gene's on the bottom, I prefer it that way. Just don't forget the nickel.

Gomer Snerd
10-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Can't afford it. Will a slug from an electric box work?? Lol