Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can Lakes get "fished out?" All fish gone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Lakes get "fished out?" All fish gone?

I'm former MO resident and now in OK. My question is "is it possible to catch all of the crappie on a 400 acre lake?" We are fishing a small lake just south of Tulsa where it was not out of the ordinary to catch a 14-16" crappie. We seldom caught dinks. There was no where even close that sold minnows so if you were willing to make the drive, you limit out extremely quickly. Limit was 5, they were big fish and you could do it quick so it was a little like what I imagine Heaven. I've been completely skunked there for 3 years straight now. Really weird that one day it "just shut off." Why??

Thanks all!!!

Post Thanks / Like

A fish population can be decimated by over fiishing but to completely wipe out a population there needs to be other factors at play. Primarily there needs to be something occuring that prevents them from spawning successfully. Does the lake experience large water level fluctuations? Given that the daily limit was 5 crappie, this leads me to believe that there are other things at play here. That is an extremely low daily limit for a fish that can become too numerous quickly in a smaller lake. I'd prefer not to have crappie in any lake less than 1000 acres because they reproduce so much.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try and get hold of the local biologist and see if he has any insights for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I know white perch can wipe out a crappie spawn, but if you had them in the lake they would jump on any minnow you dropped in front of them. Must be some other factor in play. A DNR guy would be your best source of infomation, espcially if they do creel surveys on your lake.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

in any lake less than 1000 acres because they reproduce so much.
    there is not many lakes in semo that big