Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag limit question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bag limit question

My son and I are going on a 3 day fishing / camping excursion in a couple of weeks. The daily limit on crappie are 25 each. If at the end of our 3 days we would have accumulated more than our 50/day limit, what is the law in that situation? The CO would not know when we caught the fish and may assume we got them all in one day. I have read the fishing rules but am unclear how to handle this. Can anyone shed some light or knowledge on this for me??
    Keep them poles bent and the boat right side up! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Possession limit I believe is 2x bag limit per person. So in your case you could have 100 fish. Indiana was looking to clarify if that also counted what was in your freezer. In some states it does count what is in your freezer at home as well, and that is how I've always understood it. Many others have taken it as field possession. Regardless, on your trip you most certainly can not have more than twice the daily bag limit with you.

http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/72262.htm
    Last edited by cubswin; 10-06-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I just flipped through the 2013-2014 guide and didn't see the information.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the possion limit is 2 times the bag limit,though I could not find that stated in the fishing guidelines. Check with a CO or call your district HQ.
    Just a fool fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Daily limit 25. Possession limit 2 daily limits (50) per person. Example 2 people: Day 1..... 50 (25 per person) Day 2 50(25 per person Day 3 Eat 50 fish then go fishing again for 50 more This only applies to public waters GOOD LUCK
    Last edited by bigarm; 10-06-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: addition
    Indiana Crappie Federation Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

A bit wordy, but here is the actual Indiana Code pertaining to such, with the key areas highlighted. If I understand it correctly, if you're camping and not at your primary residence, then twice the daily bag limit (50 crappie per person) would be the max in possession you could have. Anything beyond that would be over the limit and considered poaching. As bigarm mentioned, if you eat crappie as you go, then you could replace that many with fresh catch so long as you never exceed the 50 crappie per person max...and yes, crappie and all other game fish are considered a "wild animal" in this text. The rule in the verbiage applies to both hunting and fishing.

312 IAC 9-1-12.1 "Possession limit" defined
    Authority: IC 14-11-2-1; IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22
    Sec. 12.1. "Possession limit" means twice the daily bag limit of a wild animal. (Natural Resources Commission; 312 IAC
    9-1-12.1; filed Feb 6, 2012, 3:10 p.m.: 20120307-IR-312110470FRA)

312 IAC 9-2-8 Possession restrictions
    Authority: IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22
    Sec. 8. (a) An individual must not take more than the daily bag limit of a wild animal in a calendar day.
    (b) An individual may carry the carcass of a wild animal for another individual while in the field or transporting from the
    field if the individual who took the wild animal is present.
    (c) An individual must not:
    (1) possess;
    (2) ship;
    (3) carry; or
    (4) transport;
    more than the possession limit of a wild animal after the beginning of the second day of the season established to take that wild
    animal unless the wild animal is tagged in accordance with subsection (f) or (g).
    (d) The possession limit does not apply to a wild animal that is processed and stored at an individual's primary residence,
    except for waterfowl and migratory game birds.
    (e) An individual who lawfully takes a wild animal may give to another individual one (1) or more carcasses of a wild
    animal, with no compensation of any kind.
    (f) A wild animal that is gifted, left unattended while in the field, or not in the immediate vicinity of the individual who took
    the wild animal while in the field must have a tag attached or be in a container or bag that has the following information:
    (1) The name and address of the individual who took the animal.
    (2) The total number and species of wild animals taken.
    (3) The date the wild animal was taken.
    (4) The signature of the individual who took the animal.
    (g) Notwithstanding subsection (f), an individual must tag a:
    (1) white-tailed deer in accordance with 312 IAC 9-3-2; and
    (2) wild turkey in accordance with 312 IAC 9-4-11.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foolfishin View Post
    I believe the possion limit is 2 times the bag limit,though I could not find that stated in the fishing guidelines. Check with a CO or call your district HQ.
    That's how I always understood it. I never keep more than what I and family would eat for a meal which is about a dozen crappie. I have not froze any fish in years personally.

Post Thanks / Like

yup 100 in possession for two people. good luck guys, hope you score the limit! with pics of coarse.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the very helpful info guys. Exactly what I was looking for. Pics to come if even an empty stringer! :+) Should be a great time on the water with the trees changing and beautiful views. Right now the extended forecast is looking bad. That should mean great weather, right?

Post Thanks / Like

While thinking of our trip I came up with a question on the subject of possession limit. Does the skin need to stay on the fillets or how do I clean the fish and leave them so the Co can tell what species we are looking at? Want to do this right and avoid any possible problems. My only experience on something like this was bringing fish home from Canada. We used to gut and scale them and bring them home whole to not have any issues with the customs at the border. Never had our catch checked because we always declared what we had and gave all the info they wanted. Any insight will be helpful fellas. Again, thanks for the previous responses to my initial question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast