Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious About Line Preference

Post Thanks / Like

Default Curious About Line Preference

In the 20 years since I spent any real time fishing and buying fishing gear, technology has definitely changed! When I started getting my dad's old boat ready to get back out on the water a few months ago, I started shopping for new gear. The one area that has baffled me is fishing line. The two main options I remember from back in the day (at least in the crappie arena) were monofilament and Spiderwire. Now I don't know where to start! Can you guys give me your personal preferences with a brief explanation as to why you prefer it?
    Matthew 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

There are dozens of choices and combinations, and all will work. You can't go wrong with either 4 or 6 lb. test in a good monofilament such as Stren, Suffix, Berkley or others.
    You can make it as simple or as complicated as you wish.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mono : Vicious Panfish hi-vis 6lb test, Stren Gold 4lb test, Mr Crappie Super hi-vis 4lb test (made in USA version)

Braid: PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis, Cortland 17lb test (white/green), Spiderwire 20/6 (grey)

These are listed in order of preference & amount of usage. Mono is used on most all my casting & tightline rods. Braids are on specific outfits, for specific times/places or species ... with the exception of the PowerPro, which is on a casting outfit that's primarily used for casting/trolling with Roadrunners or Whirley Bees.

I prefer them because they work for the way I use them. I've used many different brands & various lines from those brands, and these are the ones I'm using now. I'm a line watcher when casting, and casting is my primary technique, which is why I use hi-vis lines. If I were simply tightline fishing, and didn't really "need" hi-vis line ... I've still got spools of BPS Excel that, even though they're over 30yrs old, are still in good shape & would work fine. In fact, I still use the heavier pound test Excel for my Bass outfits, and they hold up just fine (for the limited use they get).

But, with that being said ... what I like (or use) may not be what others would choose. There's just too many types of line out there, to say that any one of them is best for all concerns. Not to mention that new brands pop up now & then, and the major brands are continuously adding & removing lines from their line-up. I won't recommend any one brand or style of line over another, but I will recommend staying away from bargain brand/generic lines, as well as "pre-spooled" line that comes on reels or rod/reel combos.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

About 4 ys ago I was in the same situation you are in. I started by trying what I could remember from 30 yrs ago; then made a pest of myself by asking almost everyone that I saw fishing what they liked. I settled on Powerpro 10/2 and 6 lb Vicious, both in hi viz. But am looking at the Bonehead Tackle colored mono they just came out with-Sonic I think it's called. I need a hi viz line so I can see it! My advice would be to not be afraid to try something, knowing that you might not like it and be prepared to try something else! Some of the stuff people recommended did not work for me at all, ya just gotta try them for yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Berkley blaze orange. we tried the hi viz and blaze orange side by side rigging and blaze orange showed up a lot better. my .02
    kost plus crappie team

Post Thanks / Like

Quarter pound spool of Vicious Panfish 6# Hi Vis. Very good line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Mono : Vicious Panfish hi-vis 6lb test, Stren Gold 4lb test, Mr Crappie Super hi-vis 4lb test (made in USA version)

Braid: PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis, Cortland 17lb test (white/green), Spiderwire 20/6 (grey)

These are listed in order of preference & amount of usage. Mono is used on most all my casting & tightline rods. Braids are on specific outfits, for specific times/places or species ... with the exception of the PowerPro, which is on a casting outfit that's primarily used for casting/trolling with Roadrunners or Whirley Bees.

I prefer them because they work for the way I use them. I've used many different brands & various lines from those brands, and these are the ones I'm using now. I'm a line watcher when casting, and casting is my primary technique, which is why I use hi-vis lines. If I were simply tightline fishing, and didn't really "need" hi-vis line ... I've still got spools of BPS Excel that, even though they're over 30yrs old, are still in good shape & would work fine. In fact, I still use the heavier pound test Excel for my Bass outfits, and they hold up just fine (for the limited use they get).

But, with that being said ... what I like (or use) may not be what others would choose. There's just too many types of line out there, to say that any one of them is best for all concerns. Not to mention that new brands pop up now & then, and the major brands are continuously adding & removing lines from their line-up. I won't recommend any one brand or style of line over another, but I will recommend staying away from bargain brand/generic lines, as well as "pre-spooled" line that comes on reels or rod/reel combos.

... cp
    Thanks a bunch crappiepappy! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm not expecting the input I get here to help me determine my "End all, Be all" line, but because of the cost of some of the line available today, I would really like to start with the stuff that gets the most mentions. At least then I might have less chance of being overly disappointed with my first choices.
    Matthew 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the bonehead braid....it has no memory,,,,and no tip wrap. any line will twist if you don't have a swivel in the line. I am experimenting with a swivel snap at my jig.....no definite reports yet.........

Post Thanks / Like

I have found some good buys on line on this site, especially when I was setting up 8 rigs for tight lining. They have bulk spools of brand names from time to time. Discount Fishing Tackle
    Unfortunately they are not one of our CDC sponsors but they do have good buys from time to time.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the bonehead braid. So happy, I have it on all my rods now. As Chuck said, I don't get the tip wrap with the bonehead.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast