Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is everyone using?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is everyone using?

Just curious as to what everyone is using for crappie? What rods, reels, lines, and tackle do you carry for crappie. If you have tackle box pics please post them, its always nice to see how people organize stuff. Are people on here strickly crappie or do you also fish for other things such as bass. I am somewhere in between, basically I will fish for whatever I can catch. I look forward to responses. Thanks.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default where you from?

In the south we ave been impatiently waiting on the Fall to get here. I have seen some post from up north where they can't wait on the ice. Would make a big difference.
    My tackel consist of two rod/reel combos (about 7' long) that cost around $150 to put together, two nice ultra lights, and an assortment of stuff people left for their "next trip". I can't remember the brand names of the stuff I have actually bought; it just felt "good" when I did. My jigs consists of different colors from blues to whites and chartruse. I perfer tube jigs but I do have some curly tails just because I caught a fish on one (one time).
    And of course I can rig up for minnows too.
    This has got me to thinking; I dind't catch any thing on my expensive poles last weekend. Just my "bargain" ones; $30 or less.
    I love to cast a jig out and slow retreive a jig. But, I am trying to learn different methods.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I have two 10' Guide Series poles from Gander Mtn. $38/ea. Rigged one with a cheap spin real and one with a free zebco (found at bottom of lake.) My tacke box for crappie consists of a soft side box from Wal mart @ $15. It has 4 individ boxes in it with divider. I have an assortment of plastic tubes and an assortment of feather jigs that I tied.

I also take with me a 6.5' and 7' with baitcasters just in case I come across some sandies or hybrids. The 7' is rigged with a Shimano Calcutta found in bottom of the lake.

If it werent for the tackle I find in the lake, I wouldnt have much:D

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend the soft side tackle bags with pockets. I have several for different types of fishing but it's easy to change out the plastic boxes too.

One thing I learned lately is too lighten up my line. I tend to use bigger line than I really need. Hard to cast small jigs. But then again I use my rods for other stuff other than crappie too.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

Like you...I fish for whatever bites! I love to bream fish with pop'n bugs (so do all my kids) and I also love striper, catfish, and walleye fishing. I'm cheap when it comes to poles and reels...but I'm "picky cheap". All of my med-ultralite reels are shimano...the cheap shimanos...FX/AX/IX spinning reels with the "trigger". Rods are cheap too, BPS Uncle Bucks ultralight (have 8...just ordered 6 more). Med spinning rods are Southbend "Black Beauties" as are my heavy action striper/catfish rods...but they wear the higher dollar Ambassaduer 6000 reels.
    My rods and reels are inexpensive, but NONE have ever failed me.

I use several plain'ole plano clear boxes that fit nicely in plano tackle boxes (3ea.). Each clear box is marked for Crappie (bobbers,stops,hooks sinkers,grubtails,beetlespins) Catfish (big hooks,treble hooks,egg sinkers) Striper (same as catfish but no trebles, long-A bombers) Walleye (red jigheads, cats-paw rigs, red beads) Bream (all sorts of pop'n bugs!, round floats for weight). One clear box holds utility stuff...extra drain/livewell plugs, fuel line fittings, fuses, fingernail polish (red for walleye jigheads), eye busters, superglue, sunblock, deet, ect. I also keep a box on the boat that has extra lightbulbs, sparkplugs, assorted tools, a bit of elect. wire, a set of flashlight type clamp-on bow and stern lights (just in case), handi-wipes, and batteries.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

Ommmmm... I have almost everything BASSPRO does... well, working on it. I have somewhere between 50 and 100 rods, one huge tackle box(that use regularly and some others), one very tiny crappie boat, and one large crappie boat. I have tried many methods... I like spider rigg'n the most, trolling is the easiest, dunking minnows is how I started. If I went tomorrow I'd troll my favorite spots using small chartruese storm baits and then return to spider rig with tubes and minnows. Happy fish'n
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumpers
    Ommmmm... I have almost everything BASSPRO does... well, working on it. I have somewhere between 50 and 100 rods, one huge tackle box(that use regularly and some others), one very tiny crappie boat, and one large crappie boat. I have tried many methods... I like spider rigg'n the most, trolling is the easiest, dunking minnows is how I started. If I went tomorrow I'd troll my favorite spots using small chartruese storm baits and then return to spider rig with tubes and minnows. Happy fish'n
    I'm still dunking minnows....trolling is easiest?....hmmmm?....I gotta try that!
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

I will always dunk minnows, but that's how I started as a young kid... got me hooked
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the process of adding to my collection. Have a large tackle bag full of Bass stuff but am working on getting one full of crappie stuff. Right now have two rods one for crappie Wally Marshall combo, and one for Bass ugly stick combo with a Shakespeare baitcaster reel.
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default thought it was silly at the time

I took a photo recently of my tacklebox when our board had our crappie bash. It's a single tray plano loaded with sliders, tubes, and curltailed grubs all with different colors and weighted jigs. Like others have mentioned I have a utility box with jigs, baithooks, and other plastics. I also carry hemostats, spike-it chartreuse dip, and bandaids. I have a few rods and reels but rely on Mitchell Avocet spinning reels for both (affordable and easy to use) of my fave rods. One rod is a 6 ft Quantam and the other is a mitchell 5.5 ft. I guess the picture describes it best:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the next generation of slabhunters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast