Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old Lantern Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Lantern Help

I have acquired and old Armstrong US 1977 lantern. i have been able to locate some pictures on the web but no instruction manuals or parts manuals. i have taken this lantern apart completely and can make it light but not properly. i may have the wrong mantle or too much pressure perhaps-it will only light and then will be a flame and the height of the flame increases in height as i open the valve and the flame will go out when i shut off the valve. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Knappy
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Knappy, had to google up this thing to see if it was what I thought it was....military type gasoline lantern. And infact it was. Ok, let me say it has been a while since I had to deal with them. Now first off, it is possible to burn coleman white fuel in these. Did it for a long time. Now, any lantern silk light sock will work. put it on and burn it. Once burned it is ready to light, provided you have pressure in the tank,(pumped up), barely turn on the gas pressure and light the sock. let it flame almost out and start to burn white, before you turn up the fuel. that little aluminum tube that goes from the tank up to the silk socks is called a generater. as the light burns it heats up, and changes the liquid fuel to a vapor. If this is flameing even though it is hot, then that tube needs replacing. Hope this helps you out.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, thanks for the reply. i have had some concerns about the generator myself but have not been able to locate the part. the one thing i have noticed on the lighting instructions was to pump 5 and no more than 10 times to light. something about this lantern is a low pressure type. first i have ever heard of one like this. Will see what i can come up with. Thanks again Eric.
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

It's an old military lantern. That's why it runs on gasoline. Back when I was in the Army, ( out in 1992), its what we used when there was no generater available for elec. lights. Which didn't happen to often seeings how everyone wanted hot chow. But these lanterns were part of or basic equipment load for the cooks. I have rebuilt more than my fair share of them in 14yrs of service. Try looking on " Military surplus " on the internet, You would be surprised what you can find there. Good luck on the search. Eric