Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Nibbles turned 'em on!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Nibbles turned 'em on!

I went out to our dock on Lake Zoar this weekend to drop some jigs. The weather has been getting cooler and the fish seem to have responded well. The docks get pulled this coming weekend for the annual draw down and winter season so I lose my easy fishing spot until the spring. Temps in the low 50's, steam rising from glass like water, low cloud cover over the lake and a fresh cup of coffee to boot. I was out from around 7:30 - 9am and things started off really slow. I was fishing where we usually nail them, using all plastic jigs in sizes and colors that have steadily produced well over the years. I was getting discourage figuring the bite was off this morning when I decided to change jigs. I put on a 1/16 chartreuse jighead and a 1 1/2" BPS squirmin' squirt tube in their lightning bug color (yellowish chartreuse with black specks). I found a couple but still not much action. I then tipped it with a chartreuse flake crappie nibble and it was like someone flipped a switch. I was fishing a drop off under my dock jigging in 20-23 fow and pulled out 27 crappie within two hours, most of them within a 1 hour period. Most were between 8-10 inches and all came from the same concentrated area. I said to my self the nibbles cant be making that much difference and was convinced I could prove that was the case. I had found the fish and had a jig that was working fantastic. So I kept everything the same and just left the jig as I was fishing it but without the nibble. Every time I tried dropping a jig without a nibble things slowed down dramatically. Call me crazy but I am a firm believer that this morning the nibbles made all the difference in the world and really caused the fish to strike when they otherwise were hesitant to.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont leave home without them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some Gulp maggots in my box but maybe I should get a jar of nibbles, too. Good job on finding a good mess of fish.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

nibbles are GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like on my lake that when crappie have a case of lockjaw that nibbles help. When they are active it does not seem to make a difference. Just depends on their attitude but I always have nibbles if I need them.

Post Thanks / Like

On my home lake there are many days they make a huge difference.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    I dont leave home without them.
    same here I always have 3 or 4 different bottles in my boat and maybe a case of 12 or more in different colors in my garage

Post Thanks / Like

Nibbles are the Bomb. When the bite is tough and all you get are dinks. I'll use nibbles to get the larger fish to hook up.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Some days nibbles make the all difference. I always keep nibbles in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

One lake I fish at it seems that they won't bite at all without a nibble.. Who knows... One lake I didn't use nibbles at all and caught quite a few fish I just wonder if on those days I would have caught even more if I had tipped my jig with a nibble...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast