Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stren Super Braid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stren Super Braid

Has anyone used Stren Super Braid line?
    Cabela's Ripcord or Ripcord Si?
    Tell us if you like it or not and why, please.
    Last edited by duane; 12-13-2004 at 07:03 AM.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Duane, I have tried all those lines at one time or another. It seems like everytime some new line comes out, I feel like I've got to try it. If memory serves me, the Stren and Ripcord had a tendancy to stick in the spool. I liked the Si but I think I quit using it because Cabela's is the only place you can get it. I'm currently using Power Pro (15lb) on most my spinning reels.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

crappie god Guest

I like the Ripcord with Si. The strength for diameter lets me use the smaller jigs that I prefer. It also is limper than monafilement.

Only trouble that I have had sticking in the spool is when I have pulled hard when hung up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Duane

I just purchased a spool of Stren Super Braid line #6 test in Gold. I did notice it was more sesitive than regular Stren Mono but, 3 times the price for the same amount of line.
    I would agree with the above mentioned about it sticking in the reel. That ''No Stretch'' line is a lot different when you set the hook or get snagged. At only #6 that stuff will cut your wrist completley off trying to get unsnaged. I'm not sure I need that much strength for just Crappie fishing. My hooks where starting to straighten out on normal hook set's with 10'' crappie.
    Even the normal knots I tie with this stuff can be somewhat challenging. I like the feel of it ''sensitivty wise'' but after that I'm not sure at this point for I have only used it about 3 outings.
    I will say this though, I bought the Stren Super Braid and a spool of Berkly Fireline and The Stren blows away the fireline. I for sure won't buy Fireline again but, to each thier own.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN
    I just purchased a spool of Stren Super Braid line #6 test in Gold. I did notice it was more sesitive than regular Stren Mono but, 3 times the price for the same amount of line.
    I would agree with the above mentioned about it sticking in the reel. That ''No Stretch'' line is a lot different when you set the hook or get snagged. At only #6 that stuff will cut your wrist completley off trying to get unsnaged. I'm not sure I need that much strength for just Crappie fishing. My hooks where starting to straighten out on normal hook set's with 10'' crappie.
    Even the normal knots I tie with this stuff can be somewhat challenging. I like the feel of it ''sensitivty wise'' but after that I'm not sure at this point for I have only used it about 3 outings.
    I will say this though, I bought the Stren Super Braid and a spool of Berkly Fireline and The Stren blows away the fireline. I for sure won't buy Fireline again but, to each thier own.
    Yep, Fireline stinks! (I was going to say sux, but I'm trying to be nice today) It may be ok for bait casting reels, which I don't like either. I have found that with the super braid on a spinning reel tha it really helps to eliminate the sticking if I spray the line once in a while with silicon.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Duane, My fishing partner bought some of the stren and liked it and then bought some of the powerpro and liked it even better. Yes the knots are more challanging than the knots that you use for mono. The best way that I have found for getting jigs back if you do snag up. Is put a load on the rod as if you have fish caught. Then grab the line between the reel and the first eye and pull and put more a load on rod. And then let it go quickly try that a couple of times and you usually get the jig back. If not instead of wrapping the line around your hands. Is tighted it up in a straight line between the jig and reel and put your hand on the spool so it wont slip and pull hard. It will come free or break at the jig. Hope this helps and that I explained it the best I could. What is the price you paid for the stren? Right now I am getting powerpro for 11.99 for 150 yards. If you get a free sat or sunday drop me a line we can meet at LOZ and we could do some fishing.

Ted
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

where you gettin power pro for 11.99 best I can do is $14.00
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Bainbridge, Ga (Flint River, Lake Seminole, Lake Talquin)
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro is 21.00 for the 300 yard spool at the Walmart's that stock it. They will order it for you too. I dont know what the smaller spools cost.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the local bass pro shops here in town. Also cabelas has for 11.99 but then you stick shipping on it. Then you can throw that bargin out the window. I didnt know that walmart could get it, but I also dont like giving all my money to them. Need help out the small local places.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tae73

The Stren Super Braid runs about $13.00 for 125yds and $28.00 for 300yds.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast