Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup Advise for New to Me Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setup Advise for New to Me Boat

Alright fellas,

Back in June I purchased a new ride for the water. All summer long I've been shooting docks and single pole jigging, but it's about time to bust out the poles to spidderrig and I need some ideas for setting her up. My previous bass boat was set up to fish 4 rods directly out the front and 2 rods off each back corner, but I really want to set this boat up to fish two folks off the front with 4 rods each.

Question is, what's the best double seat rig for a Ranger. I've looked at the Cumberland's, DubLSeat, and the EZT Pole Perch rigs and I really can't decide. I had contemplated on installing two more bases, but I'm not sure I want to go to that trouble just yet. I figured with some uncertainity on the table I'd be best to go with an adjustable mount like the DubLSeat or the EZT Pole Perch, but I can't decide if they'll be as stable as I would like. What's everyone's opinions on these options. Also, I see some of the Ranger options allow you to use 3/4" pedestals with regulars seats and some allow you to use the 1.77" Range pedestals....any opinions on this? If anyone has any pictures of their setups I'd love to see them. Especially on older Ranger boats!

Also, I'm not going to question the "best rod holder" because I know that will drum up a hundred different responses, but what's everyone's opinion on rod holder height. I was thinking that 18" would be the best height from the floor and I see that's what a lot of holder makers offer. I have also seen 12" stems though....

I appreciate everyones input on this matter. I want to set this thing up right from the get go if possible and avoid as much trial and error as possible.

Thanks,

CB

Name:  2013-06-02_18-58-00_727.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  2013-06-01_10-44-46_831.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  148.3 KB
    Hooking up every chance I get!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CB ... can't say anything about the seat mounts, no experience with any.

But, on the pole holder height question, I can suggest doing a little faux sizing before deciding. I've fished behind 18" & 24" pole holders ... and prefer the 18" height. I even sat in my boat & measured how high the bar could be, and still be a comfortable reach, before committing to buying my rod holders.
    The 24" holders are not real bad, they're just a wee bit cumbersome to reach "over", in order to remove the rod on hookset ... unless you grab the handle (behind the reel) out of the cradle. At least that's what I've experienced when fishing with a buddy of mine, that has the 24" height holders (back seat). He even has 18" height holders up front, that he uses, and he spider rigs almost exclusively !!

On my boat, I have the 18" holders placed where they're within easy reach, with a little forward bending, and I can grab the rods by the handle (in the cradle) or in front of the reel. I'm fishing out of a 16' ProCraft, so I don't have as much open space as you do in your Ranger ... but, I use a offset pedestal seat pole, so I can move myself around to a comfortable position (in relation to the rod holders & the trolling motor foot pedal).

12" height rod holders might be a bit of a stretch to reach, but doing a measurement would show you the optimum height for your reach/bend distance. And there are rod holders that are "extendable" to varying heights, if the 18" or 24" heights are still a bit awkward for you.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

dub-l-seat and hitek 18" high. got both and they work greatttt!!!!
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CB,

we all been down this road on what people thinks the best is !!! that been said I have tried most of them from beeready rod holder to driftmasters and all between !!! now I tell you this for the moneys and the quality and the man is outstanding person plus a Crappie.com Supporter and Member Sponsor here is one of his ads , go there and look at the rod holders they are awesome and yes I have them I also have the B-100 seats they are the most comfortable seat I ever sat in and yes when you look at them you say no way but they are by far the best I have ever had especially when its hot here in South Carolina and you know what mean you are a cool as ice !!! he also has the double seat setup you are looking for !!! here is his post click on his logo and it takes you to his site PM him for info !!!!

SpyderLoks and boat seats

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clear up one thing here, There is NO fish under that bridge in the first picture, dont pay it any attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    Just to clear up one thing here, There is NO fish under that bridge in the first picture, dont pay it any attention.
    Absolutely none!!! But there MAY be a few in the livewell...
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can get one the DubL Seat is the best by far. Get your seat setup done first. Then get in the seat with a tape measure. Measure from the floor to your knee when sitting in the fishing position. That how high you want your holder to be. That way your not bending in the seat or reaching up to lift your rod. Nothing more uncomfortable than sitting stooped over all day. Callshy at Hi-Tek will make them any height you want.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-02-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more than happy with my double seat from Cumberland Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Call Terry at Cumberland Crappie...I just order my double seat from them and he is a great guy to deal with.

As far as rod holders I use Driftmasters T-250...I have four mounting plates in the front 2 for longlining and 2 for pushing, a twist of wingnut and I can switch
    from one to the other in about a minute. They are 18" and I just have to reach out and pick up a rod...no twisting, no bending over.
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

Post Thanks / Like

Every boat I have ever owned I put bases in after a near mishap with a home made double seat rig. I hated trying to pack that rig around if I fished by myself. I had ranger boats put 3 across in my last boat and one of the best ideas yet. I have helped many people put in bases and with the right size hole saw it is very easy and probably cheaper. Look at some rangers like yours and you will see a lot of installed seat bases. I put my seats in and took a pole and measured where I want my S rigs. 2 holes and 12 screws and away you go!! Just sayin!!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast