Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall bluegills

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Fall bluegills

Saturday, we weren't getting anywhere fishing fo rcrappie and saugeye, so we headed to one of our bluegill honey holes. We caught between three and four dozen (didn't keep track like we usually do) within about 90 minutes. Most were decent size and were taken on mealworms or waxworms pinned on a bare red 1/32 oz Teezur jig. That's the first time we've done much with a Teezue jig, and may be the last, biut it was fun while it lasted. Water temp was low 60s. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I caught some last weekend using a small hair jig tipped with a bee moth. Wouldn't hit the jig by itself or the bee moth. Had to be together.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good time to catch bream. Bluegills are going to spawn soon so it's time to go fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I too have been using a hair jig red and white with a bee moth. I love fall blue gill fishing they are nice and fat and seem to fight harder. Water temp sunday was 62.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta were you fishing with the meal worms in a lake or river. I've had good luck with them in lakes but not much in rivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake

That's funny ,though ,because when we fish the Stillwater River from the canoe or when wading, we do very well with mealworms on a small hook. The river in question is pristine and has a large natural forage of hellgrammites, caddis flies and other macroinvertebrates. Large mealworms look pretty much the same. The river bass tend to hit flies. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Saturday, we weren't getting anywhere fishing fo rcrappie and saugeye, so we headed to one of our bluegill honey holes. We caught between three and four dozen (didn't keep track like we usually do) within about 90 minutes. Most were decent size and were taken on mealworms or waxworms pinned on a bare red 1/32 oz Teezur jig. That's the first time we've done much with a Teezue jig, and may be the last, biut it was fun while it lasted. Water temp was low 60s. - Roberta
    I love the artificial flys and mealworm combo for fall fishing. Seems they cant let it alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta
    If you don't mind, what made that spot a honey hole?

Thanks
    John B.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a spot that we know always holds bluegill. It's an old beach area that drops off into deeper water and has a number of downed trees in and near by the drop. There is also a "bowl" off the drop off. The bluegill are almost always there, in varying numbers, most of the year. Since we don't ice fish that particular lake, I can't speak for mid-winter. - Roberta