Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We went fishin and caught some crappies... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default We went fishin and caught some crappies... :-)

Capt Hook (Terry) and Princess and I finally got a chance to go Crappie fishing yesterday!! Whoo hoo! It was a beautiful day, still summer-like weather up here. We went to Germantown Lake which is a 100 acre lake about 7 miles south of Warrenton, VA (where we are currently located) and we rented a little john boat with a trolling motor. We had two poles with us which we grabbed almost as an after thought when we left Florida. We didn't bring any other fishing gear because we didn't think we would have any time to fish (long story) but we couldn't leave Florida without bringing at least a couple of poles... just in case. Anyways, one pole is a salt water pole with 15 pound braided line and the other is a crappie pole with 6 pound test line. We bought a few fishing supplies at Wally World (a few jig heads, jig bodies, and crappie nibbles) and headed to the lake early Sunday morning.

We got there at 7AM which is the earliest you can rent a boat and we were off! From 7 to 9 we worked the lower half of the lake around the earthen dam area. We tried a little trolling (we each held a pole), and jigged deep and shallow and we didn't get a single bite! It was looking like the day would be a fishing bust. The few other boats on the lake were not catching anything either.

Finally Capt Hook said we were going to troll, troll, troll and work our way along the edges of the lake and also back and forth zig zagging across the lake. We had no depth finder and the lake does not even show up on Navionics so we were blind as far as depth, contours, fish locations, and underwater structure. But... eventually we caught a crappie about 11 inches while trolling. So, we started making wide swings around and back across the area we caught the first fish and we picked up another, then another, another, and a few more... lol. We were so happy to catch a few crappie!! We later found out from some local guys that the area we were trolling had some sunken christmas trees. We knew something was there because if we didn't keep our speed up we would snag our jigs... lost two before we got smart. Anyways, we had one sinker on one line and two on the other and we caught fish on both poles... even the heavy braided line, which was probably possible since the water clarity was not good.

The lake was beautiful, the people we met were really nice, and we caught more crappie than we expected to. To be honest we didn't think we would catch any. We gave our fish to some guys we met because we don't even have a filet knife with us. But we had an awesome day on the water. Who needs a fish finder, or 18 poles, or knowledge of the lake... lol. All you need is the Capt and some good ol fishin tactics that we learned from people on this forum. The color of the day for us was BG Baby Shad Electric Chicken.

Here are a few pictures of the lake....

Name:  cm crockett park 1.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  cm crockett park 2.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  cm crockett park 4.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  sky-beautiful-day-small.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  63.6 KB

Here's the Capt wearing his Lake Fork hat for good luck.
    Name:  capt-in-lake-fork-ha-smallt.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  52.2 KB

Princess doing what she does on a boat... napping in the shade!

Name:  princess in the shade.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  33.7 KB

Here's my new book. Bought it the night before we went fishing. Liked the title... lol.

Name:  new-book-small.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  85.8 KB

Ginny
    "My heart belongs to T.L and M.L." Life is simple.... just add water.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad yall found a few!!!..Beautiful lake!

Post Thanks / Like

You write the most beautiful posts.............and pictures too! I'm all teared up! Keep em coming!!

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER and
    SBF
    authorized by: billbob and "G"
    aka: Baconator

Post Thanks / Like

You write the most beautiful posts.............and pictures too! I'm all teared up! Keep em coming!!
    The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Post Thanks / Like

Never knew you and Speckanator were such softies... lol. Grown men crying over a fish story. Save the crying for when Talquin Maggie and I put the hurting on you guys with pink poles!

Post Thanks / Like

I am cryin cause I have been workin & not fishin, I don't know what he's all teared up about.

I ain't got no bet goin but hey at least I won't hold my pole like a spatula.
    The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by specktacklure View Post
    I am cryin cause I have been workin & not fishin, I don't know what he's all teared up about.

I ain't got no bet goin but hey at least I won't hold my pole like a spatula.
    Capt Hook is crying at work today too! He is putting out so many fires at work he said his firetruck ran out of water. That was our first day crappie fishin in forever and a day! Can't wait for the Capt's building to get built so we can move on down the road to some real crappie fishin at the Chick in Tennessee and then back to Florida to Monroe.... that's if Speckanator gives us permission to fish there again!!

Ginny

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him to quit playin with the hose & wastin water, fight fire with fire !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by specktacklure View Post
    Tell him to quit playin with the hose & wastin water, fight fire with fire !!
    LOL... He will like that.

Ginny

Post Thanks / Like

WTG Guys , Make do with watcha got and catch em. bea t ful lake RR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast